Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    "Mad" Miles

"The Trolls Among Us" NYT's 8/3/08

From Sunday's NYT's Magazine:

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

For previous discussions on this board see:

https://www.waccobb.com/forums/search.php?searchid=748202

Just in case you're wondering why I would dig this issue up, after it has been so exhaustively explored on this board, here's the question that has been bothering me lately:

Does anyone else who uses waccobb.net, either actively or passively, desist from contributing because this thought comes to mind?

"Sure, I'd like to post something on that, or in reply to this, but I just don't want to get into an insipid waste of time exchange, tit for tat debate with waccie X! Not worth the bother, so F it. Plus I really don't like waccie X, based on what I've read from them, so why share with them?"

Just wondering, plus I learned a few things I didn't know from the article.

"Mad" Miles

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lenny

Re: "The Trolls Among Us" NYT's 8/3/08

Seems that folks get stuck in that teen-age brain freeze cycle and enjoy jokes at the expense of others, which is about as far as I got.
    There are mean spirited folks and some put it into action. Nothing new.
    Beside that, if and when, folks challenge another on their position, then that may be considered "trolling" if we "need" to justify our selves and thoughts so we have to examine our beliefs, attitudes, choice of words, and other intangibles too boring to mention. But I don't consider that trolling, as much as "communication" and becoming "aware", sharpening our thoughts & writing skills, among other "beneficial" things. Of course the press wants to keep us "churning" and massage that "gland" so they can make money. Who wants to read about meaningful exchanges? Ain't no money there.
    Got sick reading the whole article and quit, so, what did you learn?

3. TopTop #3
    Sylph

I thought the article was fascinating and chilling. It's hard to understand the depravity of people who would mock the memory of a young man who took his own life and then harrass his parents. Evil, twisted behavior...Technology makes it easy to torment others without accountability.

The link to previous threads about trolls on Wacco didn't work. I have noticed trollish behavior here once in a while. Do you have examples of this on Wacco, Miles?

I appreciate the virtual environment of Wikipedia. Civility is enforced! People who are rude and nasty get no respect and get thrown out eventually. If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, you are ignored.

I am not sure Wacco needs such rules. Folks could be a bit kinder here, though. Another 'pillar' of Wikipedia is 'Assume Good Faith'. It's annoying when Wacco-pedians put their own meaning on something I've posted and become highly offended by it and counter attack! Life's too short for petty little virtual squabbles.

4. TopTop #4
    "Mad" Miles

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    The link to previous threads about trolls on Wacco didn't work. I have noticed trollish behavior here once in a while. Do you have examples of this on Wacco, Miles?
    The link I listed for previous threads on this subject was the result of a search on waccobb.net for the category "Trolls".

You should be able to replicate that search.

Cheahs,

"Mad" Miles

5. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

Yes, 'Mad,' this has often been exactly my train of thought. I have indeed not posted and not replied on many occasions precisely for those reasons you are wondering about. It's just too damn frustrating to argue with a bunch of troglodytes. What's the point? Besides, it is so damn depressing trying to communicate with such a large group of idiots that I simply have to say to myself that I have better things to do with my life than argue with another bigot, fascist, or Republican shit-head, which abound in this pathetic country.

Edward

Quote ...here's the question that has been bothering me lately:

Does anyone else who uses waccobb.net, either actively or passively, desist from contributing because this thought comes to mind?

"Sure, I'd like to post something on that, or in reply to this, but I just don't want to get into an insipid waste of time exchange, tit for tat debate with waccie X! Not worth the bother, so F it. Plus I really don't like waccie X, based on what I've read from them, so why share with them?"

Just wondering, plus I learned a few things I didn't know from the article.

"Mad" Miles

6. TopTop #6
    bsca

Dear Edward:
    I so agree with you. I posted a query last week and all I got in response was angry, unrelated dribble that made no sense whatsoever. At no time did anyone address the query other than to accuse it of being an ad or negative toward the environment. It was neither but I guess these people just want to vent some lost anger and frustration. I will be removing my email as soon as I post this. This country is going down the tubes and quickly. I wish you all well.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Yes, 'Mad,' this has often been exactly my train of thought. I have indeed not posted and not replied on many occasions precisely for those reasons you are wondering about. It's just too damn frustrating to argue with a bunch of troglodytes. What's the point? Besides, it is so damn depressing trying to communicate with such a large group of idiots that I simply have to say to myself that I have better things to do with my life than argue with another bigot, fascist, or Republican shit-head, which abound in this pathetic country.

Edward