Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dark Shadows

SWAT teams ammassing inTyendi

on behalf of Indigenous FREE school ([email protected])

For Coast Salish (Vancouver) Solidarity Support
    ~Action for Tyendinaga Mohawks~
    PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
    SEND THIS EMAIL FAR AND WIDE
    ><><><><><><><><><

I just called directly to the front lines and YES! they are all staring at SWAT and OPP cars sitting just on the edge of the Culbertson land claim area. They are wanting to REMOVE the road bloc protestors and perhaps the quarry protestors too. PRAY PEOPLE and forward this out EVERY!WHERE
    Bluejay

>
    > **URGENT** Tyendinaga 9:30 am Monday morning, April 28th
    >
    > We have just been informed by the Tyendinaga Mohawk community
    > spokespeople that SWAT teams are amassing right now on the Deseronto
    > and Slash Roads, bordering the Tyendinaga quarry reclamation site.
    > Community spokesperson Jason Maracle has just been told by the OPP to
    > pull people out of the quarry because they are going in.
    >
    >
    > please cal the premier's office immediately and urge them to:
    >
    > -Honour Mohawnk land, call off the OPP: Do not risk people's lives
    > for a gravel pit the government has already acknowledged is on Mohawk
    > land!
    >
    > -Release all First Nations political prisoners!
    >
    > Premier Dalton McGuinty: 416-325-1941 (phone) 416-325-3745
    > [email protected]

You may use this message I just sent and add your own name / change information, WHATEVER, but please everyone, lets BLAST this email box with our STRONGEST objections.
    Here is the email address: [email protected]

I thank all of you for supporting our relatives there,
    Bluejay

----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:23 AM
    Subject: DO NOT go in on MOHAWK LANDS

To the Honourable Premier, Dalton McGuinty,

I am journalist in the United States covering indigenous issues world wide. I have worked with Six Nations peoples in their ongoing land claim battles. The "Red Alert" has been going world wide, Sir, about what is happening right now at Tyenindega. I would strongly request, that alternative measures be used to calmly and peacefully negotiate these Mohawk claims. The WORLD is watching the actions of Canada. Please, Premiere McGuinty, do not let the reputation of your Country and its leadership have this kind of disrespect for Indigenous Peoples in the spotlight.

I thank you,

Shelley Bluejay Pierce
    Journalist
    United States
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Leafstorm

Re: SWAT teams ammassing inTyendi

This blog was posted about 30 minutes ago:

After a week of tension the police services have declared withdrawal from the TyendinagaMohawkTerritory. Though announcing today all Ontario Provincial Police barricades are to be removed, cruisers and helicopters continue to survey the area.
    Satisfied with the outcome, the Mohawk defenders of the Quarry have declared victory, consequent to which all solidarity blockades at Six Nations in Caledonia have also been removed.
    Three members of the Tyendinaga Mohawks remain in custody though two were released on Monday, April 28th, 2008.
    Supplies, a trailer, a barbecue, food, and some vehicles belonging to the Mohawk community have been taken by the police forces and are still not returned.
    Meanwhile, non-Native allies have been assembling and delivering supplies from various Ontario cities to support the Mohawks in their struggle since Friday, April 25th, 2008.
    The community estimates police surveillance will continue until Thursday when the remaining detainees are scheduled to appear in court.
    For this purpose they are requesting monetary assistance with legal fees and will be holding various fundraisers.
    And here's a background story from last week:
    Aboriginal protesters erect blockade in Deseronto, Ont., in land dispute
    Apr 21, 2008
    DESERONTO, Ont. — A group of aboriginal demonstrators has blockaded a main street through Deseronto, Ont., to protest a land dispute with a Kingston-based realtor.
    Nibourg Developments had said it would begin Monday to clear brush on property it owns in the community southwest of Napanee. About 75 Mohawks have been camped out on the property since Sunday evening, and police say they are standing by if needed.
    Tyendinaga Mohawk Chief Don Maracle distanced himself from the protesters by saying blockades are not the way to settle outstanding land claims.
    "People need to understand that it takes time to resolve these issues, and they need to remain calm and allow peaceful negotiations to continue in a climate that's not hampered by unrest and protest and blockades," he told a local radio station.
    "We need to direct our energy and our focus to the work that needs to be done at the negotiation table."
    Developer Emile Nibourg said a work crew went to the site on April 21 to finish clearing brush, but Mohawks arrived to claim the land as their own.
    Nibourg said the work crew left the property with police after the arrival of what he said were "40 to 50 native warriors."
    In a letter Nibourg then wrote to area politicians to express his frustrations, he promised a crew of "25 to 30 guys" would return to the site this week.
    "The problem is we have legal ownership to it, but the government doesn't seem to want to do anything," Nibourg told a Belleville newspaper.
    "They don't even want to talk to us."
    Deseronto Deputy Mayor Clarence Zieman said he hopes Ottawa is taking note of the protest.
    Zieman urged the federal government to speed up ongoing land claim negotiations and resolve the issue as soon as possible.
    Nibourg said it is frustrating that his father - who holds title to the land - cannot access it.
    The seven-plus hectares of land in question, partly in the Town of Deseronto and partly in the Town of Greater Napanee, is known as the Culbertson Land Tract.
    A group of Tyendinaga Mohawks led by Shawn Brant has staged several protests and blockades in the area in recent years. On a national aboriginal day of action last June, they shut down Highway 401 for 11 hours and blockaded a high-traffic rail line for the day.
    And in April last year, a blockade of the same busy rail line lasted 30 hours, ending peacefully after a night of negotiations with provincial police and other officials.
    Brant's protests began in response to a developer's plan to build condominiums on the Culbertson tract, the subject of a land claim accepted by the federal government for negotiation in 2003.
    The basis of the Mohawk claim is that no part of the Culbertson tract was ever given up and that it was illegally taken in 1832.
    The protesters have also been occupying a gravel quarry on the land near Deseronto since late March 2007.
    https://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5i-ymN1NEbY3nRe_jccfiOVSjySeQ

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    on behalf of Indigenous FREE school ([email protected])

For Coast Salish (Vancouver) Solidarity Support
    ~Action for Tyendinaga Mohawks~
    PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
    SEND THIS EMAIL FAR AND WIDE
    ><><><><><><><><><

I just called directly to the front lines and YES! they are all staring at SWAT and OPP cars sitting just on the edge of the Culbertson land claim area. They are wanting to REMOVE the road bloc protestors and perhaps the quarry protestors too. PRAY PEOPLE and forward this out EVERY!WHERE
    Bluejay

>
    > **URGENT** Tyendinaga 9:30 am Monday morning, April 28th
    >
    > We have just been informed by the Tyendinaga Mohawk community
    > spokespeople that SWAT teams are amassing right now on the Deseronto
    > and Slash Roads, bordering the Tyendinaga quarry reclamation site.
    > Community spokesperson Jason Maracle has just been told by the OPP to
    > pull people out of the quarry because they are going in.
    >
    >
    > please cal the premier's office immediately and urge them to:
    >
    > -Honour Mohawnk land, call off the OPP: Do not risk people's lives
    > for a gravel pit the government has already acknowledged is on Mohawk
    > land!
    >
    > -Release all First Nations political prisoners!
    >
    > Premier Dalton McGuinty: 416-325-1941 (phone) 416-325-3745
    > [email protected]

You may use this message I just sent and add your own name / change information, WHATEVER, but please everyone, lets BLAST this email box with our STRONGEST objections.
    Here is the email address: [email protected]

I thank all of you for supporting our relatives there,
    Bluejay

----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:23 AM
    Subject: DO NOT go in on MOHAWK LANDS

To the Honourable Premier, Dalton McGuinty,

I am journalist in the United States covering indigenous issues world wide. I have worked with Six Nations peoples in their ongoing land claim battles. The "Red Alert" has been going world wide, Sir, about what is happening right now at Tyenindega. I would strongly request, that alternative measures be used to calmly and peacefully negotiate these Mohawk claims. The WORLD is watching the actions of Canada. Please, Premiere McGuinty, do not let the reputation of your Country and its leadership have this kind of disrespect for Indigenous Peoples in the spotlight.

I thank you,

Shelley Bluejay Pierce
    Journalist
    United States
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email