Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Telling the truth hurts

Obama's comments at a private San Francisco fundraiser suggesting that small-town voters are bitter over their economic plight, and thus tend to "cling" to religion and guns, and are hostile to outsiders, was costly to the Senator from Illinois. The Pennsylvania primary results offered a first indicator of how much telling the truth hurt his candidacy.

The American people can't handle the truth. It's too much to ask of them. Any candidate that insists on telling the truth to Americans is doomed. It's another sign that the experience Hillary has is an advantage.

Edward
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lenny

Re: Telling the truth hurts

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    Obama's comments at a private San Francisco fundraiser suggesting that small-town voters are bitter over their economic plight, and thus tend to "cling" to religion and guns, and are hostile to outsiders, was costly to the Senator from Illinois. The Pennsylvania primary results offered a first indicator of how much telling the truth hurt his candidacy.
    The American people can't handle the truth. It's too much to ask of them. Any candidate that insists on telling the truth to Americans is doomed. It's another sign that the experience Hillary has is an advantage.Edward
    Your last sentence tells it all. Hillary wouldn't know the truth if it served her well! It is clear OTHER Democrats are throwing her over board as the Bosnia sniper fire issue came to light. All those folks that have been screaming about the Clintons being liars started to ring true in the Democrats ears!
    As for Americans handling the truth, that IS the problem, as we are not given it by the powers that be. Bill could have fessed up about Monica, and we would have forgiven him. George could have fessed up about....a few things, and we probably would have let it slide. What no one likes is being lied to.
    But I have to laugh, as I am on your Ignore List, and you will never read this, however you are the one claiming that folks can't handle the truth. You can't even handle an opinion.

3. TopTop #3

It applies to everything else in life. People who have not maturated as an individual cannot handle the truth. If people get into denial with the truth of their own psychology, how can they possibly handle the truth of the world at large? One would hope there are more people capable of taking a position of responsibility in the world, but it starts with yourself.

But this is more about the truth than maturation. At least there is hope for someone who is not mature but is truthful, someone with a degree of maturity but perpetuates a pattern of avoidance regarding the truth will only keep themselves in the dark.

4. TopTop #4
    thewholetruth

The problem isn't the "American people can't handle the truth", Ed. The problem with Barry's speech is that it isn't true.

People of Pennsylvania aren't clinging to religion and guns because they are "bitter over their economic plight". They've been clinging to religion and guns for more than 200 years, Ed. They do so because they love the Lord and are afraid of our government, as we all should be.

Don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post

The American people can't handle the truth. It's too much to ask of them. Any candidate that insists on telling the truth to Americans is doomed. It's another sign that the experience Hillary has is an advantage.

Edward

5. TopTop #5
    thewholetruth

"As for Americans handling the truth, that IS the problem, as we are not given it by the powers that be."

Amen, Lenny.

"Bill could have fessed up about Monica, and we would have forgiven him. George could have fessed up about....a few things, and we probably would have let it slide. What no one likes is being lied to."

Amen again, Lenny.

"But I have to laugh, as I am on your Ignore List, and you will never read this, however you are the one claiming that folks can't handle the truth. You can't even handle an opinion."

And a third AMEN to you, Lenny.

Don

6. TopTop #6
    Melodymama

I think we can handle the truth better than we think. Those who have the audacity to lie are presuming more wisdom, and possibly thinking others need to be protected. Those days are over. Information is too available.

It seems that you guys seem to think you know what the TRUTH is, but in any given case, the truth is more than concrete, proveable facts. What Obama said was his opinion, not necessarily any truth about any small town anywhere. It was a brooooaaaad generalization and was insulting to people. It was not that he spoke any truth. It was the attitude that was negative for his campaign.

What we each see as the truth of a matter is much about us and less about the facts. The truth we most fear is the truth about ourselves and that it might be seen by others. When we are more truthful about ourselves with ouselves, friends and cohorts, perception of situations is clearer. Still, even consensus truth is not usually scientifically provable, and therefore a close resemblance of what was. In any one person's mind there is the back story, the understory, the hidden meaning and lots of other conjecture that is complicating whatever actually happened. Maybe we should work on defining truth before we accuse others of giving it, knowing it, being able to handle it. What is IT?
    There goes my brain again, getting too busy. I need to get outside and see what the birds are doing today.

7. TopTop #7
    dr.j

I'M RESPONDING PUBLICLY CAUSE WE NEED TO STOP DENIALS. this isn't authoritarian or 'controlling', it's the TRUTH.

AMERICAN'S are now called 'AMERICANT'S.' We've had a brief period (a half century in the cosmic sense may be measured in less than a few seconds) of abundant foods, shelter, running water, energy fraud that takes away $ that could be better distributed, and not to these specie wide ultra treasonous beings, and some 'free time' that enables us to have just enuf hope to return to the monday 'wage-slave' situation where the environment is clean, comfortable, and we can all MAKE OURSELVES FIT INTO ANOTHER'S SELFISHNESS. And we call this life, we're accepting it, and it won't get better until u form a 'team,' and change yourself while the other partner(s) do so with determination, intelligently, sensibly, and COLLECTIVELY, as the sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ...when cooperation & intelligence are coming out of every pore of our skin.

T R U t H = H t U R T

i just spelled it backwards, ask u to sound it out phonetically, and think, dwell, contemplate, or just continue as u've been this last half century of the 13th hour of the vacation that the pathetic specie we're part of is experiencing. Hey, it's gonna be like this forever?, right? c'mon, whose spiritually mature? please don't write me back unless the above resonates with you.

More significantly, our true LOVE is also negated. u can investigate and contribute to this cosmic robbery by searching "Consciious Relationships." i'm dr.jay, do u really know who u r?

8. TopTop #8
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr.Jay: View Post
    ... just continue as u've been this last half century of the 13th hour of the vacation that the pathetic specie we're part of is experiencing. ...
    Hey Dr. Jay, I think the word you're looking for is "species" which is both the singular and the plural.

"Specie" is a seldom used term referring to coinage, or, legally, "in kind."

-Proofreader Jeff

9. TopTop #9
    Valley Oak

I'm atheist so the 'spiritual' component of your luminous post does not apply to me.

Thank you sweetie,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr.Jay: View Post
    I'M RESPONDING PUBLICLY CAUSE WE NEED TO STOP DENIALS. this isn't authoritarian or 'controlling', it's the TRUTH.

AMERICAN'S are now called 'AMERICANT'S.' We've had a brief period (a half century in the cosmic sense may be measured in less than a few seconds) of abundant foods, shelter, running water, energy fraud that takes away $ that could be better distributed, and not to these specie wide ultra treasonous beings, and some 'free time' that enables us to have just enuf hope to return to the monday 'wage-slave' situation where the environment is clean, comfortable, and we can all MAKE OURSELVES FIT INTO ANOTHER'S SELFISHNESS. And we call this life, we're accepting it, and it won't get better until u form a 'team,' and change yourself while the other partner(s) do so with determination, intelligently, sensibly, and COLLECTIVELY, as the sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ...when cooperation & intelligence are coming out of every pore of our skin.

T R U t H = H t U R T

i just spelled it backwards, ask u to sound it out phonetically, and think, dwell, contemplate, or just continue as u've been this last half century of the 13th hour of the vacation that the pathetic specie we're part of is experiencing. Hey, it's gonna be like this forever?, right? c'mon, whose spiritually mature? please don't write me back unless the above resonates with you.

More significantly, our true LOVE is also negated. u can investigate and contribute to this cosmic robbery by searching "Consciious Relationships." i'm dr.jay, do u really know who u r?

10. TopTop #10

I go by the general definition, and for the record was and am speaking generally rather than regarding current events - so yes it is off topic I suppose. But if we were to talk about it, I think looking at our psychology is a good place to start, as you've already pointed out the issue of subjective distortion through each individual's perception. I think one big problem is nobody wants to look at that honestly, although people are more than willing to point out the faults and fallacies in the others argument. As I see it, people get too caught up with the issues and never really look at how they are processed in the mind. In other words, I guess you can say it simply includes the truth of the thought process and the psychology of both sides, as well as the information processed. But I'm sure this all sounds rather boring and has not nearly enough drama and will motivate nobody to look at things that way - so I will end here.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Melodymama: View Post
    Maybe we should work on defining truth before we accuse others of giving it, knowing it, being able to handle it.

11. TopTop #11
    thewholetruth

"I think we can handle the truth better than we think. Those who have the audacity to lie are presuming more wisdom, and possibly thinking others need to be protected. Those days are over. Information is too available."

I agree, and yet there are still many people who confuse opinion with truth, unable, it seems, to simply acknowledge what is true. Truth is not a matter of opinion.

"It seems that you guys seem to think you know what the TRUTH is, but in any given case, the truth is more than concrete, proveable facts."

I find that statement absurd. Look up the definition of the word "TRUTH". My goodness, I can't believe you even said that! Truth is EXACTLY concrete, provable facts.

"What Obama said was his opinion, not necessarily any truth about any small town anywhere."

Correct.

"It was a brooooaaaad generalization and was insulting to people. It was not that he spoke any truth. It was the attitude that was negative for his campaign."

It was his OPINION that insulted people. Nothing more.

"What we each see as the truth of a matter is much about us and less about the facts."

Ridiculous. The truth is the truth and that which is about us is typically misnomer or opinion.

"The truth we most fear is the truth about ourselves and that it might be seen by others."

I find that an odd statement, as well. My life is about DISCOVERING the truth about myself, and discovering the truth about life.

"When we are more truthful about ourselves with friends and cohorts, perception of situations is clearer."

I agree completely. Understanding comes into play when we are truthful about ourselves with others. Life stops being a lie.

"Still, even consensus truth is still not usually scientifically provable, and therefore a close resemblance of what was."

Gosh, look up the word "truth". I can't believe you have such an inaccurate, diluted definition of the word.

"Maybe we should work on defining truth before we accuse others of giving it, knowing it, being able to handle it. What is IT?"

Dictionary.com defines it like this, and when I use the word, "IT" is one of the first 8 definitions, and number 12: factual, provable, indisputable.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This truth

&nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp

Audio Help/truθ/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[trooth]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, –noun, plural truths

&nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    Audio Help/truđz, truθs/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[troothz, trooths]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
    1.the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
    2.conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
    3.a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
    4.the state or character of being true.
    5.actuality or actual existence.
    6.an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
    7.honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
    8.(often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
    9.agreement with a standard or original.
    10.accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
    11.Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
    —Idiom
    12.in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.

12. TopTop #12
    MsTerry

you really should take a tutorial on posting,that's the truth

Quote Posted in reply to the post by donc1955: View Post
    "I think we can handle the truth better than we think. Those who have the audacity to lie are presuming more wisdom, and possibly thinking others need to be protected. Those days are over. Information is too available."

I agree, and yet there are still many people who confuse opinion with truth, unable, it seems, to simply acknowledge what is true. Truth is not a matter of opinion.

"It seems that you guys seem to think you know what the TRUTH is, but in any given case, the truth is more than concrete, proveable facts."

I find that statement absurd. Look up the definition of the word "TRUTH". My goodness, I can't believe you even said that! Truth is EXACTLY concrete, provable facts.

"What Obama said was his opinion, not necessarily any truth about any small town anywhere."

Correct.

"It was a brooooaaaad generalization and was insulting to people. It was not that he spoke any truth. It was the attitude that was negative for his campaign."

It was his OPINION that insulted people. Nothing more.

"What we each see as the truth of a matter is much about us and less about the facts."

Ridiculous. The truth is the truth and that which is about us is typically misnomer or opinion.

"The truth we most fear is the truth about ourselves and that it might be seen by others."

I find that an odd statement, as well. My life is about DISCOVERING the truth about myself, and discovering the truth about life.

"When we are more truthful about ourselves with friends and cohorts, perception of situations is clearer."

I agree completely. Understanding comes into play when we are truthful about ourselves with others. Life stops being a lie.

"Still, even consensus truth is still not usually scientifically provable, and therefore a close resemblance of what was."

Gosh, look up the word "truth". I can't believe you have such an inaccurate, diluted definition of the word.

"Maybe we should work on defining truth before we accuse others of giving it, knowing it, being able to handle it. What is IT?"

Dictionary.com defines it like this, and when I use the word, "IT" is one of the first 8 definitions, and number 12: factual, provable, indisputable.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This truth

&nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp

Audio Help/truθ/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[trooth]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, –noun, plural truths

&nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    Audio Help/truđz, truθs/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[troothz, trooths]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
    1.the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
    2.conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
    3.a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
    4.the state or character of being true.
    5.actuality or actual existence.
    6.an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
    7.honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
    8.(often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
    9.agreement with a standard or original.
    10.accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
    11.Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
    —Idiom
    12.in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.

13. TopTop #13
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    So, why did you have to include his whole mangled post in yours?

Proofread people! It only takes a few seconds or minutes to look over what you're about to post.

And then there's that nice "Preview" feature.

-Jeff

14. TopTop #14
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    So, why did you have to include his whole mangled post in yours?

-Jeff
    I actually did that on purpose.
    Don seems to have a hard time understanding other people's point of view. I figured he need to see it over and over again.
    I told him how to post and quote people, won't do it. he likes his own world and thinks everybody else must be wrong.

15. TopTop #15
    thewholetruth

Digging around in here under FAQ, but I don't see any posting tutorial. Perhaps you can post a link for me, MsHelpful?

Thanks,

Don

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post