Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Come Join the WaccoBB.net Free Wi-Fi float in the Apple Blossom Parade this Sat in Seb

Hi Everybody,

I've always wanted there to be a WaccoBB.net entry in the Sebastopol Apple Blossom parade (Saturday morning, April 26). And now that they have become a sponsor of WaccoBB.net (Thanks Teresa!) I want to even more!

I know it's kinda late, but it's still possible.

Anybody up for that? Could be a lot of fun! I'd want there to be a parade coordinator that's not me (I nominate Braggi). I'll show up and participate along the way as I can, including posting and making the full power of WaccoBB.net available. .

We could have an organizing meeting next Wednesday at the brand new Hopmonk Tavern in Sebastopol (The old Powerhouse, which hopefully will be open by then). I'll buy the first round!

The theme of the parade this year is "Wild West Blossoms". Seems like it could easily be "Wacky West Blossoms" or even "W-Fi Blossoms" (as I plan to weigh in with a win-win proposal for free Wi-fi for Sebastopol and I hope the overwhelming majority of Waccos will support that, maybe even Sasu! More on that, and our Social, when I get a moment...). Or whatever you creative bunch come up with! My only requirements are that at least 50 people show up at the parade and it's fun!

There's a parade fee of just $75 and I image some misc parade expenses. I'm hoping that can be funded by the community via new supporting memberships or additional contributions. I'll underwrite it.

I could see doing a first run of WaccoBB hats for the occasion. Maybe even with the new logo...

So what say Ye? Are you with me or are you with me?

Reply publicly, privately or click Gratitude if you want to join in the fun!

Barry
    Grand Pubah
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: WaccoBB entry in Sebastopol Apple Blossom Parade?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Anybody up for that? Could be a lot of fun! I'd want there to be a parade coordinator that's not me (I nominate Braggi). ...
    You nominate who? To do what? Drink beer at the new tavern?

Oh, I suppose I could help.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Melodymama

I am already dealing with a float for another group (Love Choir), but it sounds like a good idea. Also, I am so glad you came out as Grand Pubah. I have not heard the term in a while and I always wanted to have a Grand Pubah in my circle. With you and Braggi (i call him Wise Wormam - since he also ranches in worms) at the helm how can Wacco go wrong. Wacc on, wacc on, with hope in your hearts.... everyone could get old hats and decorate with antenae. one of my little voices told me to stop now. Laura

Barry wrote
    "I've always wanted there to be a WaccoBB.net entry in the Sebastopol Apple Blossom parade..."
    Last edited by Barry; 04-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

We could have an organizing meeting next Wednesday at the brand new Hopmonk Tavern in Sebastopol (The old Powerhouse, which hopefully will be open by then). I'll buy the first round!

The theme of the parade this year is "Wild West Blossoms". Seems like it could easily be "Wacky West Blossoms" or even "W-Fi Blossoms" ...
    OK out there! If this is going to happen we need a certain amount of support. Everyone willing to help, click your mouse!

How about an art director?

How about banners? Barry, what do we have now? How many, how big?
    What's this I hear about a new logo? Something newer than the one in your post?

I have a Ford F-350 truck, crew cab with long bed. I can load it up with biodiesel so the exhaust smells like popcorn (sort of). I also have a 4 by 8 utility trailer that's pretty ugly but could be covered with banners or otherwise hidden.

If anyone has a better truck or trailer option, please post.

My 10 yr. old daughter, Freya, volunteers to be a Wild West Blossom. Any others? Costume ideas? Huge paper flowers? Someone send some ideas.

Let's stir this up!

Go Wacco!

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    Braggi

This is from Barry:

On the good counsel of Mrs. WaCCO, I'm going to hold off on the new logo for now - too many irons in the fire - but I'll bring it Wednesday night for a sneak preview. Also I don't think there's going to be time for hats, sorry.

Parade Brainstorming Session
    Wednesday, April 16th, 7pm
    Hopmonk Tavern
    230 Petaluma Ave
    (former Powerhouse Brewpub and Sebastopol Brewing Company)
    I'll buy first round at 7pm.
    If the pub isn't open yet, let's convene at Jasper O'Farrell's on Hwy 12 downtown Sebastopol.

We don't need no stinking Wacco hats. Wacco stickers would be nice though. Beer in any case. Wait! I very seldom drink beer. Whose idea was this? Will beer actually help?

Who will help me drink this beer?

-Jeff

PS. I'll buy soft drinks for anyone who doesn't drink.
    Last edited by Braggi; 04-13-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Thanks Aunty Wacco!

6. TopTop #6
    Braggi

I think I have it. We build a cage like a little jail cell and put that in the trailer behind the truck.

Over the top of the "cell" we have a sign that says: Free Wi-Fi! Sign the petition!

Inside the jail cell we have someone dressed up as a laptop computer or just a giant cardboard likeness of a laptop.

In the back of the truck we have a bunch of people dressed up as flowers with their laptops chanting: Free Wi-Fi! Free Wi-Fi! And yay Sonic.net! Alternately we have people in western wear with wreaths of flowers as hat bands. People walking alongside hand out Waccobb.net business cards and flyers to our next event(s).

Our motto could be: Help Wi-Fi Blossom in the West
    (County)!

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 04-13-2008 at 12:20 PM.

7. TopTop #7
    Braggi

Same idea, take 2:

We build the "jail cell" and mount it on a lightweight cart (I have all the parts). We tow it with ropes and everyone walks. No need for the truck and trailer but less room for banners and signs. A couple of folks could walk in front of the procession holding a Waccobb.net banner.

That would be more environmentally sound, to be sure.

-Jeff

8. TopTop #8
    Melodymama

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Same idea, take 2:

We build the "jail cell" and mount it on a lightweight cart (I have all the parts). We tow it with ropes and everyone walks. No need for the truck and trailer but less room for banners and signs. A couple of folks could walk in front of the procession holding a Waccobb.net banner.

That would be more environmentally sound, to be sure.

-Jeff
    Someone, like Barry, should wear Wacco chaps and a BIG western Poobah hat, maybe trying to get the computer unchained and out of jail. Does a Poobah outrank a sheriff?

9. TopTop #9
    shellebelle

YEH!!!!!!! I like it!!!

That would be a great look! How about a giant router in the jail cell?

I think I have it. We build a cage like a little jail cell and put that in the trailer behind the truck.

Over the top of the "cell" we have a sign that says: Free Wi-Fi! Sign the petition!

Inside the jail cell we have someone dressed up as a laptop computer or just a giant cardboard likeness of a laptop.

In the back of the truck we have a bunch of people dressed up as flowers with their laptops chanting: Free Wi-Fi! Free Wi-Fi! And yay Sonic.net! Alternately we have people in western wear with wreaths of flowers as hat bands. People walking alongside hand out Waccobb.net business cards and flyers to our next event(s).

Our motto could be: Help Wi-Fi Blossom in the West
    (County)!

-Jeff

10. TopTop #10
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by XanGo Rep & Ecobuilder: View Post
    Maybe Sonic.net would like to kick in some funding, ideas, props, handouts or other support?
    How about a Sonic Man super hero? "Help us Sonic Man!" (Sonic Woman?)

Is it too soon to talk about "uniforms" for the people walking with our group? Is that too organized?

How about green stems with blossom headdresses? Green tights, chaps or green body paint? (But who will help us make the costumes?)

Anyone have other ideas?

-Jeff

11. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Parade Brainstorming Session
    Hopmonk Tavern
    230 Petaluma Ave
    Wednesday, April 16th, 7pm
    First round is on me!

There's lots of good ideas here!

Let's meet tomorrow, Wednesday April 16th, at 7pm at the brand new Hopmonk Tavern in downtown Sebastopol (230 Petaluma Ave) to continue to brainstorm and come up with a plan! It will be the first day they are open!

Please click on this post if you are planning on coming so I can get a rough headcount and reserve some space for us. Should be fun!

12. TopTop #12
    Tinque

Have a large , ( I mean LARGE) ,piece of watermelon and a few apples, and or, more fruit and have a series of ants ( people in black with antennas ),following behind in pursuit. Yummy....

13. TopTop #13
    Melodymama

Barry wrote: "bla bla bla... to continue to brainstorm and come up with a plan! ...should be fun."
    ok, it is two days later and no report. Who took minutes of the meeting? Inquiring minds want to know. What is the plan?
    Last edited by Melodymama; 04-18-2008 at 09:13 AM.

14. TopTop #14
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Melodymama: View Post
    ... What is the plan?
    It's top secret. Even the people who were at the meeting don't know what we discussed. It was so damn loud in there we couldn't hear each other.

I think we agreed we'll pull a cart with a "jail cell" on the back. Over the jail cell a banner will read "Free Wi-Fi!" or "Free the Wi-Fi." Chime in with opinions one way or the other.

What is in the cell was not decided. Ideas include: a big cardboard laptop computer suspended on wires; a big cardboard router suspended on wires; a person dressed as a laptop or just holding a laptop (which would make it more work for the people pulling the cart ... I vote for Kali/NurtureTruth over Royce/JuggleDude as the person in the cage).

People will walk in a group around the cage carrying smart phones and complaining loudly they don't work because there's no free wi-fi. These folks will hand out Waccobb.net cards and perhaps flyers promoting the online petition or asking them to show up at city council meetings.

It was also proposed we need an anti-wi-fi group to march with us to show Wacco's diversity. Of course, it was proposed these folks wear tinfoil hats which doesn't sound like a group honestly opposed to wi-fi. Again, please comment.

I'm sure there's more, but the beer was good, the background noise obnoxious, and the food (which shows promise) all got in the way of communication and note taking.

I will call Barry and discuss further details. We'll post here when we know more. Do we know what we're doing? No, but it's going to work out, I'm confident.

-Jeff

15. TopTop #15
    shellebelle

Now see I thought we had gone to www.waccobb.net Wild West WiFi coming off the www along with Free The WiFi. Kids dressed as cowboys trying to break the wifi out (whatever may signify that) and Barry as the sheriff in tinfoil hat of course with big tin foil keys trying to keep it in!

16. TopTop #16
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by XanGo Rep & Ecobuilder: View Post
    Maybe Sonic.net would like to kick in some funding, ideas, props, handouts or other support?
    I was just going to suggest that Sonic might help if you are going to mention the wifi and sonic.
    Marty

17. TopTop #17
    Braggi

OK folks, time is getting short and we're wondering how many and who wants join us for this walk into history. It will take a commitment of approximately three hours(?) next Saturday morning.

Here's what we need: a few folks dressed up in country western wear to keep with the theme of "Wild West Blossoms," a few folks dressed up as hippy protesters (that's Barry's idea so if nobody likes it nobody will dress up for it), a few folks willing to be protesters on the side of "no free wi-fi."

Also, and this is important, we need one small person (hopefully 120 lbs or smaller) willing to ride inside the "cage" to personify "Wi-Fi." You will be the "person" the protesters are trying to free or keep locked up, depending.

We'll make up quicky protest signs the morning of the event. We'll have sticks, staplers, heavy paper and big marking pens. Your sign can say whatever you want it to within reason. Some could say: Free Wi-Fi! Some could say Wild West Wi-Fi! Waccobb.net. Sonic.net, help us free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi not proven safe! You get the drift.

So we will have a jail cell on a cart loosely surrounded by sign carrying protesters. We will each carry some Waccobb.net business cards to hand out to members of the audience. A new thread on "Wi-Fi yes or no" could start up anytime between now and then so first time visitors would see we're discussing implementation of the system

OK, more details in another post. For now, chime in here with additional ideas, click gratitude or write to Barry or me and let us know if you're coming. We're hoping for a group of 50 or more. With any luck our numbers will be bolstered by some of the young people from Analy High.

See you all on Saturday!

-Jeff

18. TopTop #18
    shellebelle

How about Linda as the WiFi! Or Jeff Mich if you can get him!

OK folks, time is getting short and we're wondering how many and who wants join us for this walk into history. It will take a commitment of approximately three hours(?) next Saturday morning.

Here's what we need: a few folks dressed up in country western wear to keep with the theme of "Wild West Blossoms," a few folks dressed up as hippy protesters (that's Barry's idea so if nobody likes it nobody will dress up for it), a few folks willing to be protesters on the side of "no free wi-fi."

Also, and this is important, we need one small person (hopefully 120 lbs or smaller) willing to ride inside the "cage" to personify "Wi-Fi." You will be the "person" the protesters are trying to free or keep locked up, depending.

We'll make up quicky protest signs the morning of the event. We'll have sticks, staplers, heavy paper and big marking pens. Your sign can say whatever you want it to within reason. Some could say: Free Wi-Fi! Some could say Wild West Wi-Fi! Waccobb.net. Sonic.net, help us free Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi not proven safe! You get the drift.

So we will have a jail cell on a cart loosely surrounded by sign carrying protesters. We will each carry some Waccobb.net business cards to hand out to members of the audience. A new thread on "Wi-Fi yes or no" could start up anytime between now and then so first time visitors would see we're discussing implementation of the system

OK, more details in another post. For now, chime in here with additional ideas, click gratitude or write to Barry or me and let us know if you're coming. We're hoping for a group of 50 or more. With any luck our numbers will be bolstered by some of the young people from Analy High.

See you all on Saturday!

-Jeff

19. TopTop #19
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    How about Linda as the WiFi! ...
    Wasn't there something about being under 120 lbs?

20. TopTop #20
    Braggi

You'd better delete that!

-Jeff

21. TopTop #21
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Parade Plans !!!

Thanks Jeff for a great post and heading up our Parade Rabble Rousers and even building our people-powered jail cell!!

Here's a few more plans as they emerge:

Dueling Chants

When the parade is paused for bit, the two "sides" pro/anti will split to either side of the street and try to get their side of the street to join in their very simple chants (chant suggestions, anybody?), one side pro, one side anti, rotating after a verse or two. I'll be the Wild Wacco Sheriff :loneranger: and along with some deputies we'll decide which side was the strongest. If pro is louder, I'll unlock the cell and let the Wi-Fi free. If Anti is more passionate, I'll roll up my big tin foil key and throw it "away" keeping Waccoville safe for all.

Anti-crowd please come!

I'd love it if there some real "anti" Wi-Fi-ers who would come, especially those with a sense of humor and want to have some fun while they explain their case (by handouts along the way). The anti side can do whatever they like as well as bring signs to carry. Seems like they should wear tin foil hats just for fun. And if the anti side would like some help, I hope some pro wi-fi people would be gracious enough to "join the cause" for the moment.

:cheerleader:Cheerleading Squads :cheerleader:

We need a great out-there cheerleader squad (guys too!) on each side to lead both spectators and the rest of the Wacco posse in their chant. Seems like a good role for Cassandra, the Cosmic Waitress, some former or present cheerleaders, singers/performers, Burners, County Supervisor Candidates, or other Loud Eccentric Types.

Then as we're walking we can rotate chants back and forth.

I love the radical inclusion aspect (getting the spectators involved). I think it will be a blast!

Preparations

I'll announce the exact gathering time and place soon, probably around 9am. I'll bring Bloody/Virgin Mary's! :cowboy:
    Other snacks (fruit?) would be appreciated! Please dress up Western or Hippy (seems like both sides could use some flower (power) children - especially since the parade theme is "Wild West Blossoms". Please bring anything else that is fun!

Help Needed Now
    • Western garb for me? Big cowboy hat, chaps, Big Badge, gun and holster?
    • Chants! (less than 10 words, pro and anti)
    • Cheerleader commitments!
    • A big double sided "Free W-Fi?' sign for the top of the jail cell (coordinate with Jeff for sizing
    • Some
      Your message here!
      signs
    • People to come march with us! Bring you friends family, and even pets!
    More to follow....

See you all on Saturday!

-Jeff

22. TopTop #22
    shellebelle

Hey NOW!!!!

23. TopTop #23
    MsTerry

The Wild West?
    Hummmmmmmm, wasn't that the good old boys time?
    Wasn't that the heyday for white male chauvinist racist people?
    What are we celebrating again?

Parade Plans !!!

Thanks Jeff for a great post and heading up our Parade Rabble Rousers and even building our people-powered jail cell!!

Dueling Chants

When the parade is paused for bit, the two "sides" pro/anti will split to either side of the street and try to get their side of the street to join in their very simple chants (chant suggestions, anybody?), one side pro, one side anti, rotating after a verse or two. I'll be the Wild Wacco Sheriff :loneranger: and along with some deputies we'll decide which side was the strongest. If pro is louder, I'll unlock the cell and let the Wi-Fi free. If Anti is more passionate, I'll roll up my big tin foil key and throw it "away" keeping Waccoville safe for all.

Anti-crowd please come!

I'd love it if there some real "anti" Wi-Fi-ers who would come, especially those with a sense of humor and want to have some fun while they explain their case (by handouts along the way). The anti side can do whatever they like as well as bring signs to carry. Seems like they should wear tin foil hats just for fun. And if the anti side would like some help, I hope some pro wi-fi people would be gracious enough to "join the cause" for the moment.

We need a great out-there cheerleader squad (guys too!) on each side to lead both spectators and the rest of the Wacco posse in their chant. Seems like a good role for Cassandra, the Cosmic Waitress, some former or present cheerleaders, singers/performers, Burners, County Supervisor Candidates, or other Loud Eccentric Types.

I love the radical inclusion aspect (getting the spectators involved). I think it will be a blast!

Preparations

I'll announce the exact gathering time and place soon, probably around 9am. I'll bring Bloody/Virgin Mary's! :cowboy:
    Other snacks (fruit?) would be appreciated! Please dress up Western or Hippy (seems like both sides could use some flower (power) children - especially since the parade theme is "Wild West Blossoms". Please bring anything else that is fun!

Help Needed Now
    • Cheerleader commitments!
    • A big double sided "Free W-Fi?' sign for the top of the jail cell (coordinate with Jeff for sizing
    • Some
      Your message here!
      signs
    More to follow....

24. TopTop #24
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    ...What are we celebrating again?
    The days before party-pooper trolls....

25. TopTop #25
    MsTerry

So it is YOU who is R&D!?

The days before party-pooper trolls....

26. TopTop #26
    shellebelle

You coming out and actually being present and accounted for?!?!?!

The Wild West?
    Hummmmmmmm, wasn't that the good old boys time?
    Wasn't that the heyday for white male chauvinist racist people?
    What are we celebrating again?

27. TopTop #27
    Melodymama

Parade Plans !!!

:cheerleader:

Well, Gol darn it, I cudda been a great cheerleader, but I am already commited to being a LOVE CLOWN with the Love Choir. My pom-poms have not been used dusted off in many years, but I still have some good moves. GOOO WAAACOOOOLaura
    Last edited by Barry; 04-21-2008 at 05:52 PM.

28. TopTop #28
    MsTerry

I never miss a Good parade!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    You coming out and actually being present and accounted for?!?!?!

29. TopTop #29
    shellebelle

cool so you are coming out.

Notice though the present and accounted for! Will you be shaking hands and hugging people or just being a voyeur (ps voyeur not the right answer)!

I never miss a Good parade!

30. TopTop #30
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here's the latest:

We are in Division 2 #31, so I think that means we are lining up near the Analy High School cafeteria on the Analy campus (not on N. Main street/High School Rd.) Please get there by 9am this Saturday morning so we have time to make some signs, go over plans (an come up with new ones?) and rehearse a bit, as well as enjoy the potluck snacks and Bloody/Virgin Marys!

You'll need to plan ahead to park someplace within walking distance. You won't be able to drive anywhere right near there.

Will you come join us???

I hope so - I think it will be a lot of fun, but we need people to come play with us!

We've got a couple of lead cheer leaders and a possible cheer or two, but could use more. I could still use some cowboy/sheriff garb, we could use some more blank or pre-made signs on a stick to carry, but mostly, we just need YOU to come join us! We've only got a a small handful of folks to RSVP as coming so far. Your WaccoBB.net needs you!

Parade Plans !!!

Dueling Chants

Anti-crowd please come!

Preparations

Help Needed Now
    • Cheerleaders!
    • Some
      Your message here!
      signs
    More to follow....

See you all on Saturday!

-Jeff
    Last edited by Barry; 04-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.