Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Messianic democracy

We americans, here in our country, designed and celebrated by us, cheer on 'messianic candidates' for the presidency. ALL americans do this in either party, Republican or Democrat.

Far too much is expected from one man or one woman, who have to come out in public repeatedly saying the right words, essentially all sending the same message that: "I WILL SAVE AMERICA!!! VOTE FOR ME!!!"

How pathetic.

In Europe, no single person is ever expected to "save the country!" It is the party that does the job because everyone knows that one person or one person's vision cannot possibly approach being able to do it all.

Putting people on pedestals the way we do in this country to act as our divine savior is thoroughly repugnant, to say the least, not to mention that it does not work and is very undemocratic. The religious culture comprises a fundamental ingredient in all of our political processes, and the presidency is a boisterous, billion dollar, circus act that most exemplifies this blaring weakness in our 'democracy.'

We need the kind of change that no one will bring. We are hopelessly stuck in this 'great' nation of ours and it is in large part due to the ignorance and stubbornness of the majority of americans. It's really tragic to see how profoundly flawed our democracy is, just from the presidential electoral process alone.

Edward
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 02-15-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lenny

Re: Messianic democracy

Are you saying our government in action when viewed to closely is like sausage making?
    Yes, it is very disgusting, but the dregs of Europe and the unwanted losers of Africa came over here to make the greatest nation on the planet and in history. Yeah, things got wet, especially in the killing of my ancestors, but no where, at no time, has as many people as there are here, ever had so much good. And with that, it includes other peoples of the world.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Valley Oak: View Post
    We americans, here in our country, designed and celebrated by us, cheer on 'messianic candidates' for the presidency. ALL americans do this in either party, Republican or Democrat.

Far too much is expected from one man or one woman, who have to come out in public repeatedly saying the right words, essentially all sending the same message that: "I WILL SAVE AMERICA!!! VOTE FOR ME!!!"

How pathetic.

In Europe, no single person is ever expected to "save the country!" It is the party that does the job because everyone knows that one person or one person's vision cannot possibly approach being able to do it all.

Putting people on pedestals the way we do in this country to act as our divine savior is thoroughly repugnant, to say the least, not to mention that it does not work and is very undemocratic. The religious culture comprises a fundamental ingredient in all of our political processes, and the presidency is a boisterous, billion dollar, circus act that most exemplifies this blaring weakness in our 'democracy.'

We need the kind of change that no one will bring. We are hopelessly stuck in this 'great' nation of ours and it is in large part due to the ignorance and stubbornness of the majority of americans. It's really tragic to see how profoundly flawed our democracy is, just from the presidential electoral process alone.

Edward

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

"the unwanted losers of Africa came over here"

WTF?!!!

Do you know anything about the history of "New World" slavery?

If so, it is contradicted by this claim.

I won't address the other two egregiously erroneous sweeping statements in your post.

This one alone is big enough to fill an ocean with bodies.

"Mad" Miles

4. TopTop #4
    Lenny

Poor choice of words on my part. They didn't "come" en masse, especially later on, or, like, after the first day, for every new shore, those wonderful sailors touched. Some did come on their own, in the beginning, and once aboard were "Shanghaied". Ah, those Brits and Portuguese and their notions of "freedom"! But then it was almost the same with the Europeans as well. The term "indentured" servant....well, it turned out that racist America used that term because of the Africans who were "true" slaves. Of course Georgia and parts yet named were not settled by "indentured servants" as well. Who was it that used to say, "What a country"?
    I'll try and watch my language next time.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    "the unwanted losers of Africa came over here"

WTF?!!!

Do you know anything about the history of "New World" slavery?

If so, it is contradicted by this claim.

I won't address the other two egregiously erroneous sweeping statements in your post.

This one alone is big enough to fill an ocean with bodies.

"Mad" Miles