Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    adamhadm

restaurant composting

Any ideas for making it easy for restaurant managers and the front line workers to consider composting? Lots of food seems to be thrown away. Any specifics?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    nicofrog

Re: restaurant composting

Yes;
    We are setting up a composting system at a community in west Sebastopol that will eventually be able to handle large quantities. Primarily, you may check if the Waste Management folks will allow them to use a green can there, There are issues concerning the health dept such as no meat or dairy etc, several home composters,doing Hot composting,may be able to handle the load, but they would have to be willing to run a committed schedule and bucket system,and that is tough when it's volunteer work.There are folks already picking up brewery hops and coffee grounds, see if you can locate them!
    I have been composting for years and look forward to getting a BIG scene(tractor size) set up,I can advise people on home composting,how to set up and maintain worm systems,or "hot" systems.
    I could also suggest contacting Rick Kaye of compostclub.org
    he is a great guy and may have other Ideas
    we currently compost a lot of produce from Andy's Produce in Sebastopol
    as does an organic farm called newton's something,sorry I forget what!
    just met them once they are great folks when I remember the name I'll get their info to you.Basically, like home grown tomatoes,and true love
    real good compost is THE BEST and a lot of growers are figuring that out and want the real thing!
    Food in landfill has been determined to be the #1contributor to greenhouse gasses. so THANK you for caring,and asking!
    Nico
    ps let me know what you find!
    :)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by adamsquid2003: View Post
    Any ideas for making it easy for restaurant managers and the front line workers to consider composting? Lots of food seems to be thrown away. Any specifics?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email