Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Kermit1941

Hypothesize, have faith in, believe, adopt as a universal principle

It is an unfortunate fact that we evaluate the validity of new claims to truth in terms of what we already believe.

This makes us extremely resistant to changing our personal philosophy.

If as a child we accepted certain claims as true, and came to understand
    that all our personal relationships depended on our continuing to avow those claims as true, then

any one who asserted a contrary philosophy was to be thought of as not understanding the "true" state of affairs.

How can we break through this barrier and really really communicate with each other?

In a science fiction story, Clifford Simak had mutant humans who were so very much more clever than ordinary humans, build a device that displayed
    a particular light pattern such that when ordinary humans viewed that light
    pattern it shocked their system into being able to consider contrary statements without those statements being filtered by their current belief system.

For over five hundred years now, science has progressed only because scientists were able to question their own collective beliefs.

That is why I and others recommend strongly that seekers of truth in religion also question their own collective beliefs. We adopt as a universal principle that this is the only way to discover reliable knowledge.

Perhaps one of the writers of Job in the old testament had this principle in mind when he wrote his "thought experiment".

Kermit Rose < [email protected] >
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Hypothesize, have faith in, believe, adopt as a universal principle

Kermit,

Luckily we have people who are still willing to think with their heart.
    If we all were to use our heads only, the human race would vanish quite rapidly.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kermit1941: View Post
    It is an unfortunate fact that we evaluate the validity of new claims to truth in terms of what we already believe.

This makes us extremely resistant to changing our personal philosophy.

If as a child we accepted certain claims as true, and came to understand
    that all our personal relationships depended on our continuing to avow those claims as true, then

any one who asserted a contrary philosophy was to be thought of as not understanding the "true" state of affairs.

How can we break through this barrier and really really communicate with each other?

In a science fiction story, Clifford Simak had mutant humans who were so very much more clever than ordinary humans, build a device that displayed
    a particular light pattern such that when ordinary humans viewed that light
    pattern it shocked their system into being able to consider contrary statements without those statements being filtered by their current belief system.

For over five hundred years now, science has progressed only because scientists were able to question their own collective beliefs.

That is why I and others recommend strongly that seekers of truth in religion also question their own collective beliefs. We adopt as a universal principle that this is the only way to discover reliable knowledge.

Perhaps one of the writers of Job in the old testament had this principle in mind when he wrote his "thought experiment".

3. TopTop #3
    Kermit1941

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Kermit,

Luckily we have people who are still willing to think with their heart.
    If we all were to use our heads only, the human race would vanish quite rapidly.

Ms Terry [ And I still really like your name and I still really like you. ]

I will guess that what you really mean is that if you yourself were to think only with your head rather than with your heart,
    then you would lose some qualities very important to you.

I suggest that your life would be enriched beyond your expectation
    if you take a close look at those qualities that you fear losing.

I suggest that if you apply your intelligence you will not lose those qualities,
    but enhance them.

I suggest that if you apply your intelligence, you can enhance your compassion, and moral understanding and all the other things that you now feel depend on not probing too deeply their foundations.

By applying your intelligence to the foundations of your personal philosophy
    you can strengthen those foundations. Do not fear to destroy those foundations. Wash away the sand under your home and see the rock solid foundation that is there.

4. TopTop #4
    MsTerry

Kermit,

What I was hinting at is that if it wasn't for a moment if insanity or hormonal imbalance, why on earth would one choose to live and commit oneself to another person. And as it turns out in many cases, why would one invest time and money in unappreciative offspring, when all that effort would be better spent indulging in earthly pleasures .
    Compassion is not a rational feeling. (yes, I know this is an oxymoron)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kermit1941: View Post
    Ms Terry [ And I still really like your name and I still really like you. ]

I will guess that what you really mean is that if you yourself were to think only with your head rather than with your heart,
    then you would lose some qualities very important to you.

I suggest that your life would be enriched beyond your expectation
    if you take a close look at those qualities that you fear losing.

I suggest that if you apply your intelligence you will not lose those qualities,
    but enhance them.

I suggest that if you apply your intelligence, you can enhance your compassion, and moral understanding and all the other things that you now feel depend on not probing too deeply their foundations.

By applying your intelligence to the foundations of your personal philosophy
    you can strengthen those foundations. Do not fear to destroy those foundations. Wash away the sand under your home and see the rock solid foundation that is there.

5. TopTop #5
    Kermit1941

Kermit,

What I was hinting at is that if it wasn't for a moment of insanity or hormonal imbalance, why on earth would one choose to live and commit oneself to another person. And as it turns out in many cases, why would one invest time and money in unappreciative offspring, when all that effort would be better spent indulging in earthly pleasures .

Commitment is a conscious choice.

The motivations for making that commitment are not conscious.

There are no earthly pleasures that endure.

I am a rational compassionate person.

Are you suggesting that people who apply their intelligence to understand the universe will not be able to enjoy life?

Are you suggesting that people who apply their intelligence to fully understand the views of others will not be able to enjoy life?

Are you suggesting that dispassionate considerations would lead one to feel that personal pleasures are more important than the pleasure of satisfying the needs of others?

The capacity to love is enhanced by calm rational consideration of events and circumstances.

Why do we invest so much effort and time for those we love? The answer is immediate from the question itself. It is the nature of love.

The ability to love does not depend on our being blind to what would personally please us.

Compassion does not depend on rationality, but the ability to be compassionate is enhanced by our rationality.

Compassion does not depend on irrationality. I suggest that irrationality handicaps compassion.

6. TopTop #6
    shellebelle

So you are saying you didn't procreate?

And I don't find my offspring unappreciative at all. So if yours (if you have any) are maybe you should look to well YOU. I mean they are exactly who and what you created.

Kermit,

What I was hinting at is that if it wasn't for a moment if insanity or hormonal imbalance, why on earth would one choose to live and commit oneself to another person. And as it turns out in many cases, why would one invest time and money in unappreciative offspring, when all that effort would be better spent indulging in earthly pleasures .