Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    breplogle

Governor's Proposed Budget BS

So how come this issue isn't at the top of the discussions? Isn't this a bulletin board for progressives? I don't even pay income taxes to this state, and I think it's an outrage! Where is the protest?? Seriously, I'd really like to know what a person can do to stop this 08-09 budget proposal from happening.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Re: Governor's Proposed Budget BS

Almost everything that the Governator has done since he entered office has been bullshit. Why should his budget be any different?

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by breplogle: View Post
    So how come this issue isn't at the top of the discussions? Isn't this a bulletin board for progressives? I don't even pay income taxes to this state, and I think it's an outrage! Where is the protest?? Seriously, I'd really like to know what a person can do to stop this 08-09 budget proposal from happening.

3. TopTop #3
    lifequest

It appears to be a clever ploy to create public outrage at the extent of planned cuts and closures so that even more legislative gridlock results and out of desperation the legislators will cede their power to the governor and he gets his way... an amendment to trigger automatic cuts in spending when revenues drop (like now).

He anticipates all the interest groups rallying to protect their programs but now wants the public to pressure their legislators to do something permanent to solve the problem. The Republicans won't budge on raising taxes and the Democrats will resist most spending cuts. The drama in Sacramento will get so out of control that Arnold expects the anger of the public to deliver more power to him without risking another initiative.

I still see Pete Wilson's hands on Arnold's puppet strings.

4. TopTop #4
    decterlove

Swartzennegger may be the craftiest politician on the planet right now. And he wants to be president. Never underestimate him.

5. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

The U.S. Constitution requires that the President be born on U.S. soil. Any amendment to the Constitution is next to impossible to achieve; this characteristic of the U.S. Constitution is called, 'entrenchment' (see below). Any attempt to amend the Constitution in order to make Arnold President will fail because the reason is not good enough, the candidate is not good enough, and not enough citizens or legislators will support it.

Edward

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution
    and:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...s_Constitution

Entrenchment

The presence or lack of entrenchment is a fundamental feature of constitutions. Entrenchment refers to whether the constitution is legally protected from modification without a procedure of constitutional amendment. Entrenchment is an inherent feature in most written constitutions. The US constitution is an example of an entrenched constitution, and the UK constitution is an example of a constitution that is not entrenched.
    The procedure for modifying a constitution is often called amending. Amending an entrenched constitution requires more than the approval of the national legislature, it requires wider acceptance. Sometimes, the reason for this is that the constitution is considered supreme law, such as according to the supremacy clause in the US constitution. Regardless of whether a constitution has this technical status, all states with an entrenched constitution recognise the difference between constitutional law and ordinary statutory law. Procedures for ratification of constitutional amendments vary between states. In a federal system of government, the approval of a majority of state/provincial legislatures may be required. Alternatively, a national referendum may be required in some states, such as in Australia.
    In constitutions that are not entrenched, no special procedure is required for modification. In the small number of countries with un-entrenched constitutions, the lack of entrenchment is because the constitution is not recognised with any higher legal status than ordinary statutes. In the UK, for example, passing laws which modify sources of the constitution, whether they are written or unwritten, are passed on a simple majority in Parliament. The concept of "amendment" does not apply, as the constitution can be altered as easily in terms of procedure as any national law.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    Swartzennegger may be the craftiest politician on the planet right now. And he wants to be president. Never underestimate him.
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 01-12-2008 at 10:52 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    decterlove

yeah, yeah, yeah..........just remember where you heard it first....and recall how he became governor. That is the ONLY reason he married into the Kennedy clan. nuff said.

7. TopTop #7
    Valley Oak

I heard about this idea long ago. The idea of running the Governator as a Republican candidate for U.S. President has been around for a few years now and has already been discussed at length. That proposition is not new at all. I clearly remember seeing a TV or cable spot that touched upon this subject and it lasted roughly ten minutes or so. Different politicians and people on the street were interviewed about this possibility and the reaction was solidly negative. It would be a Republican wet dream to have their California puppet occupy the White House to do their bidding. As a matter of fact, the current occupant of the Oval Room IS a puppet!

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    yeah, yeah, yeah..........just remember where you heard it first....and recall how he became governor. That is the ONLY reason he married into the Kennedy clan. nuff said.