Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Daisy

new guitar, first fret, first string sounds dead. what's up?

I have a student who just bought a new acoustic guitar...The first string, first fret is dead when playing it. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    nicofrog

Re: new guitar, first fret, first string sounds dead. what's up?

it could be the second fret is high sometimes they even get bent some how
    put a streight edge on the fretboard and check the plane of the frets,sometimes a temp fix for that is to put a tiny piece of leather or cardboard between the string and the "nut"(thats at the top of the fretboard, not the "bridge" at the bottom. This will make the action higher ,you did not mention steel strings or nylon. I wonder if there is a good instrument repair around possibly they know at "Zone" Music in S.R.
    by first string I'm assuming you mean the high e
    A good thing to do is sight down the strings and frets like looking down a fence line checking the height of the action, and th look of the frets as related to the nut and the bridge,I used to buy guitars for folks in Mexico, where they make some of the best, and worst just depending .
    Nico good luck!
    frets can be worked, but best a pro does that.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Daisy: View Post
    I have a student who just bought a new acoustic guitar...The first string, first fret is dead when playing it. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email