Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

BBS Protocols, Good Behavior, Trolls

It's late and I'm inebriated and tired, but at least Clancy and Willie are seeking guidance about what this place is where we meet to discuss the issues of the day, items for sale, services sought and offered, and personal communications to the community.

Here's a part of my take on the question(s). I'm sure others will help me out.

The is a place where people have the opportunity to begin discussion "threads." A thread is usually on a given topic and most people posting to that thread actually post something that has to do with the topic. Sometimes the topic shifts and when that happens, the moderator often splits the thread into two threads (or more) because otherwise it becomes confusing and difficult to understand who is responding to whom on what topic. That's one of the moderator's jobs. Splitting a thread can be a time consuming and challenging process. Barry usually does a fine job of it. (Grattitude button pushed.)

Another moderator task is to remove obscene or otherwise offensive posts from a thread. Those posts can be reported to the moderator by any concerned person on the BBS. Persons who are frequent visitors to the BBS and those who actually work on the BBS are typically the ones who report poor behavior to the moderator(s). Yes, Waccobb has more than one moderator.

I'll mention trolls without defining them since that is a whole thread in and of itself. When a person exhibits troll behavior, it inevitably comes to the attention of the moderator. It is then the challenge of the moderator how to deal with the troll.

I haven't seen much troll behavior on Waccobb nor have I seen much flaming. I try to avoid doing these things myself although at times it is VERY tempting.

So, Waccobb is not is a place where conversations happen "organically." There is order among the chaos. There are persons watching and working to keep order, though not a lot of effort is required because so many Waccobb people are very cool folks and threads generally stay on topic or close enough.

So don't feel you're getting singled out if your off topic posts are pulled out of a thread. That's just standard protocol.

-Jeff
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: BBS Protocols, Good Behavior, Trolls

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    ... Maybe you've had too much to drink.

Only one. But it was a good one.

I'm happy, but not ROTFLMAO, if you know what I mean.

Barry splits threads once a week or so. Not often, but it is called for from time to time.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clancy: View Post
    I can only recall three or four times in the last year.
    More than that, but less than once a week. And I'm always interested to hear if anybody thinks a thread should be split.

4. TopTop #4
    Willie Lumplump

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    More than that, but less than once a week. And I'm always interested to hear if anybody thinks a thread should be split.
    I've lost track. Are we talking about threads or hairs?

Anyway, things are going smoothly. Lorrie and I are good friends, and I'm working with Mindy on an optical fix for a vision problem. Also, Christine is helping me to become a better person, although I have to admit that it's too soon to tell.

5. TopTop #5
    ChristineL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Willie Lumplump: View Post
    I've lost track. Are we talking about threads or hairs?

Anyway, things are going smoothly. Lorrie and I are good friends, and I'm working with Mindy on an optical fix for a vision problem. Also, Christine is helping me to become a better person, although I have to admit that it's too soon to tell.
    You may be surprised to learn you're helping me become a better person too...that too may be too soon to tell...

6. TopTop #6
    Willie Lumplump

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    that [trolls] is a whole thread in and of itself.
    Fair enough. I'm ready. One question to be considered are the differences between trolling, badgering, and just being generally obnoxious.

Quote I haven't seen much troll behavior on Waccobb
    This tells me that you and I have very different definitions of troll behavior.