Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Bird rescue question

Last week we found an injured adolescent raven. We did the proper rescue procedure and brought it into a wildlife center. When we called back to find out how it was doing, they had found a fractured knee, and decided to put it to sleep. We were very distressed.
    Is that and injury that can be dealt with?
    I feel I would have rather cared for the bird myself than to have it dead.
    Last edited by The A Team; 11-11-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: accidental hit return
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Zeno Swijtink

Re: Bird rescue question

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TheATeam: View Post
    Last week we found an injured adolescent raven. We did the proper rescue procedure and brought it into a wildlife center. When we called back to find out how it was doing, they had found a fractured knee, and decided to put it to sleep. We were very distressed.
    Is that and injury that can be dealt with?
    I feel I would have rather cared for the bird myself than to have it dead.
    I understand you were distressed. I can imagine that your close encounter made you bond with the raven!

If the goal of the wildlife center is to return animals to their natural habitat they may have decided that the raven would be limping after healing and would not have survived in the wild.

Part of it could also be a question of triage: where do we put our resources at work.

3. TopTop #3
    caretaker

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    I understand you were distressed. I can imagine that your close encounter made you bond with the raven!

If the goal of the wildlife center is to return animals to their natural habitat they may have decided that the raven would be limping after healing and would not have survived in the wild.

Part of it could also be a question of triage: where do we put our resources at work.
    I dont
    I dont really understand why they would do that, birds can do very well with one leg, I have a raven here , has been here for years and still does very well with one leg, I see him on the property all the time, still lives in the wild, and thrives, I have not had good experiences with Bird Rescue, most of the time they dont make sense to me, my spouse picked up a Bird awhile ago on the side of the road, and we called to see what we could do , first things out of there mouths was we were breaking the law, cannot anyone pick up a animal and help it anymore, when I was young we lived in a small town, my father used to bring home all these wild animals and helped them, it taught us at a very young age to be kind, and have respect for the wild.. personally I think our society has lost much, and what really what its about..helping the animal. it can still have quality of life even if it did have to live with a human, Awhile ago I saw where they put down a ladys raccoon, and then the owl that lived with a family for almost like 5 years wildlife Rescue was at her school and she announced they had a owl, well they got all her information, and then came and took the bird, he was very attached to this family, all they taught this little girl is not to trust......

As you can see Wild Life Rescue is not my favorite Rescue, I feel they have there own power and personal agenda.

Caretaker

4. TopTop #4
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Thank you Zeno and Caretaker for your thoughtful responses. The next time I will do things differently and go to another agency.

5. TopTop #5
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TheATeam: View Post
    Thank you Zeno and Caretaker for your thoughtful responses. The next time I will do things differently and go to another agency.
    Any organization will follow the law, and not allow wildlife to be converted to pets. In some cases this does not seem to make sense, but it is a protection of wildlife since otherwise people may catch birds and other wild animals to domesticate them and sell them.

There is a tension in the whole idea of wildlife rescue: we do it because we love animals and nature, but we cannot express our love in a way that domesticates the animals. We need to keep the animals at arms length so that they can go back in their environment.

6. TopTop #6
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

I appreciate the need for wildlife protection under the law. I have volunteered for wildlife centers as well as the Humane Society and So. County Animal control in the past.
    My experience is that some agencies are quick to put down animals, while others will do everything possible to return them to health again and keep them alive. Sure, this is dependent on policy, funding and staffing.
    This was my first experience with this particular center, it gives me a sense of how they operate.

:panther: