Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    jay

"Create an association.." computer/file questions

Good morning!!

I have an emailed file attachment which I can't open. The following statement comes up when I attempt to open it:

"Unknown file type. No program associated with it. Create an association in the Folder Option Control Panel."

Well, I got into the Control Panel and the Folder Option and couldn't figure out what to do next.

Is there any one out there that can assist me with this?

thanks - juliana
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: "Create an association.." computer/file questions

Hi Juliana,

What's the extension?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jay: View Post
    Good morning!!

I have an emailed file attachment which I can't open. The following statement comes up when I attempt to open it:

"Unknown file type. No program associated with it. Create an association in the Folder Option Control Panel."

Well, I got into the Control Panel and the Folder Option and couldn't figure out what to do next.

Is there any one out there that can assist me with this?

thanks - juliana

3. TopTop #3
    jay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Hi Juliana,

What's the extension?
    Hi Barry!!

Oh thank you for responding. Here are the entire names of both files. I am assuming the extension is the one after the dot. (I am not a computer person!)

workflow3mk.fla

Tracking Application Solutions site-1.ppt

Hope that is the information you need - juliana

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

.fla may be a Flash movie. You can download the free flash player here.

.ppt is a PowerPoint file. Download the player here.

Enjoy the show!

Hi Barry!!

Oh thank you for responding. Here are the entire names of both files. I am assuming the extension is the one after the dot. (I am not a computer person!)

workflow3mk.fla

Tracking Application Solutions site-1.ppt

Hope that is the information you need - juliana

5. TopTop #5
    jay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    .fla may be a Flash movie. You can download the free flash player here.

.ppt is a PowerPoint file. Download the player here.

Enjoy the show!
    Howdy Barry!

I was successful at downloading the PowerPoint file. However, I am not being successful at downloading the flash player. It is difficult to explain why because there seem to be so many things I was told I could/should do.

Is there any particular thing I should know to proceed? Or should I go back and write down exactly what it is that is blocking my progress with this and let you know? (P.S. They have a link to a place you can get help if it doesn't download successfully, but that sure didn't get me to something that was helpful!)

I sure appreciate your time. I do so know you are busy.

Thanks - juliana

6. TopTop #6
    Tars

I am not being successful at downloading the flash player.
    Hi Julianna -

I'm somewhat surprised that Flash hasn't been installed automatically on your computer whenever the last web browser program was installed. Flash is universal now for doing motion grahics for the web. If you see motion graphics (mostly ads!) that are at all sophisticated, they are probably Flash graphics.

If I might suggest - open your browser, and in the upper left-hand corner of the screen click "File>Open File> and point it to the ".fla" file you were having problems with. If Flash is installed along with your browser, that fla file should open up just like a web page. If it doesn't recognize it, then you do have to manually download the Flash player.

Can you describe the problem you're having downloading/installing Flash?

7. TopTop #7
    jay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Hi Julianna -

I'm somewhat surprised that Flash hasn't been installed automatically on your computer whenever the last web browser program was installed. Flash is universal now for doing motion grahics for the web. If you see motion graphics (mostly ads!) that are at all sophisticated, they are probably Flash graphics.

If I might suggest - open your browser, and in the upper left-hand corner of the screen click "File>Open File> and point it to the ".fla" file you were having problems with. If Flash is installed along with your browser, that fla file should open up just like a web page. If it doesn't recognize it, then you do have to manually download the Flash player.

Can you describe the problem you're having downloading/installing Flash?
    Hello there!! And, thank you for responding....

First, I need to let you know that I am not that familiar with computer language and things that are supposed to be basic computer knowledge. So, please be patient with me.

Someone emailed me two attachments which would not open. I found out by Barry that I needed Flash Player as one of the programs to run the attachments. Barry emailed me Flash Player to download. It is in this downloading that I am having difficulty.

Following is a copy of what I first see when I begin the downloading process.

I following the instructions and hit the Install button. (See below for what happens next)
    Adobe Flash Player Download Center
    Windows

Install

Flash Player

• Enjoy the most vivid content on the web
    • Watch video without extra downloads
    • Interact with applications on your favorite sites
    Also install

(Not required for operation of Flash Player)

• Instant suggestions as you type in the search box
    • Access bookmarks from any computer
    • Pop-up blocking

You must agree to the terms of service

• Version: 9,0,47,0
    • Date Posted: 7/10/2007
    • File Size: 1,126 K
    • Download Time Estimate: 2 minutes @ 56K Modem
    You must close all other browser windows before installing.
    Installation instructions

1. Installation of Adobe Flash Player may require administrative access to your PC, which is normally provided by your IT department. It is recommended that you close all other open browser windows before continuing with the installation.
    2. Click the Install Now button to automatically download and install Adobe Flash Player into Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    3. Depending on your security settings, you may see a Security Warning dialog box. Click Install to install the ActiveX control.
    4. When the installation is complete, you will see the Adobe Flash Player logo and text.
    ****** ====== After I hit the install button, the following pops up:

Adobe Flash Player

Important Message: You may need to click the gold bar at the top of the browser window to allow the install.

When you see the installation completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful. The installation should only take a minute or two on a 56k modem.

Did you know?

Now you can use Flash to educate, train, and inform in minutes, not months.
    Learn more ›

Start Creating Now

Note:

1. If a browser Security Warning dialog box appears like the one below, you will need to click Install to install the player.
    2. Your computer may require a reboot after auto-installation of the Flash Player ActiveX control, if the Flash Player is already in use during the installation process.

Flash Content

*****====== I then follow this up to a point and nothing happens. It says something about your installation is complete if you "see the movie above and text below." I don't see any movie. Before that comes, I do following its direction and install the ActionX things it says I need to do.

This is where I can't even explain what the problem is.

Let me know what you think - juliana

8. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Oy! Sounds like you need some hands on help. If you just want to see the attachments you could forward them to somebody you want to visit and see it on their computer, or get a friend or hire a PC tech to check out your computer. Or perhaps someone else will chime in here...

Good Luck!
    Barry

Hello there!! And, thank you for responding....

First, I need to let you know that I am not that familiar with computer language and things that are supposed to be basic computer knowledge. So, please be patient with me.

Someone emailed me two attachments which would not open. I found out by Barry that I needed Flash Player as one of the programs to run the attachments. Barry emailed me Flash Player to download. It is in this downloading that I am having difficulty.

Following is a copy of what I first see when I begin the downloading process.

I following the instructions and hit the Install button. (See below for what happens next)...

I then follow this up to a point and nothing happens. It says something about your installation is complete if you "see the movie above and text below." I don't see any movie. Before that comes, I do following its direction and install the ActionX things it says I need to do.

This is where I can't even explain what the problem is.

Let me know what you think - juliana