Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    OrchardDweller

Open letter to Barry (the moderator)

Barry,

Recently you started a new thread (Ron Paul, Libertarianism and the UN) and, without asking me, put my name on it. That is just not right in my opinion. I would never have started a thread like that myself and I don't want people to think that I did. The original thread (Vote for President on Wacco) was started by someone else and turned into a thread about Ron Paul because of other posters asking me about him. Why couldn't you just let it run its course instead of cutting off the Ron Paul part and starting a new thread under my name? People who don't open the thread might get the impression that I'm being annoying by starting yet another Ron Paul thread. I have not started many Ron Paul threads for that purpose.

Now I think you moved my most recent thread (American Freedom Agenda Act) from WaccoTalk to WaccoReader (I'm pretty sure I had posted it in WaccoTalk) and now you've changed the title of the thread by adding (Ron Paul) to it. Why? I would have posted this and named it the way I did regardless of who authored the bill.
    This is not about Ron Paul. This is about getting our freedoms back. Someone has stood up bravely to challenge the tyranny that has been creeping into our society and I'm trying to inform people of it and hopefully start a discussion about it. We have a chance here to voice our support for this very important bill to our representatives. This is much bigger than Ron Paul.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ThePhiant

Re: Open letter to Barry (the moderator)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    welcome to the doghouse
    I get kicked around all the time
    hahaahahahhahaha

Quote Posted in reply to the post by OrchardDweller: View Post
    Barry,

Recently you started a new thread (Ron Paul, Libertarianism and the UN) and, without asking me, put my name on it. That is just not right in my opinion. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2007 at 09:31 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

OrchardDweller,

I hear your concern about the new thread I created and moving and renaming another. Let me address the later issue first:

I moved the thread from WaccoTalk to WaccoReader because it was mostly forwarded content, which is what WaccoReader is for. WaccoTalk is reserved for original discussion. Additionally the second post is a speech by Ron Paul. I have removed the "(Ron Paul)" from the title since you seem to object to that, though I think it is no accident it happens to be a speech by Ron Paul. In any case it belongs in WaccoReader.

Regarding creating the new thread, it is commonly accepted moderation practice, and more importantly, it is my moderation practice, to split threads when it is called for. The common case is that a thread has wandered off topic so I split off the separate topic into its own thread, to keep the thread title in sync with its content.

In this case, while the discussion about Ron Paul was relevant to the original thread, it had become an active discussion just about Ron Paul, rather than the whole presidential field. I wanted to preserve the original intent of the thread and keep it open to comments about other candidates. I split off the Ron Paul discussion and posted to the original thread that that had been done with a link to the new thread. I still feel this is appropriate.

Regarding "starting a new thread under my name", the thread starter holds no special meaning. The thread starter has no more responsibility or control than the their first post to create the thread. It's not "your" thread, but generally the thread starter is the person who started the thread. When a thread is split, the thread starter of the new thread is whoever happens to have the first post in the split off thread. In this case, I didn't "put your name on it" but rather it just happened to fall out that way. It doesn't mean anything. I see that you posted to the thread that you didn't start it and that's fine with me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by OrchardDweller: View Post
    Barry,

Recently you started a new thread (Ron Paul, Libertarianism and the UN) and, without asking me, put my name on it. That is just not right in my opinion. I would never have started a thread like that myself and I don't want people to think that I did. The original thread (Vote for President on Wacco) was started by someone else and turned into a thread about Ron Paul because of other posters asking me about him. Why couldn't you just let it run its course instead of cutting off the Ron Paul part and starting a new thread under my name? People who don't open the thread might get the impression that I'm being annoying by starting yet another Ron Paul thread. I have not started many Ron Paul threads for that purpose.

Now I think you moved my most recent thread (American Freedom Agenda Act) from WaccoTalk to WaccoReader (I'm pretty sure I had posted it in WaccoTalk) and now you've changed the title of the thread by adding (Ron Paul) to it. Why? I would have posted this and named it the way I did regardless of whom authored the bill.
    This is not about Ron Paul. This is about getting our freedoms back. Someone has stood up bravely to challenge the tyranny that has been creeping into our society and I'm trying to inform people of it and hopefully start a discussion about it. We have a chance here to voice our support for this very important bill to our representatives. This is much bigger than Ron Paul.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2007 at 11:04 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    ThePhiant

I agree with OD that is funny to see a thread with your name under it when you have no control over it.
    if you split it you should be the thread starter, with your name
    but no one listens to me....................

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Hi Josepha,

I hear your concern about the new thread I created and moving and renaming another. Let me address the later issue first:

I moved the thread from WaccoTalk to WaccoReader because it was mostly forwarded content, which is what WaccoReader is for. WaccoTalk is reserved for original discussion. Additionally the second post is a speech by Ron Paul. I have removed the "(Ron Paul)" from the title since you seem to object to that, though I think it is no accident it happens to be a speech by Ron Paul. In any case it belongs in WaccoReader.

Regarding creating the new thread, it is commonly accepted moderation practice, and more importantly, it is my moderation practice, to split threads when it is called for. The common case is that a thread has wandered off topic so I split off the separate topic into its own thread, to keep the thread title in sync with its content.

In this case, while the discussion about Ron Paul was relevant to the original thread, it had become an active discussion just about Ron Paul, rather than the whole presidential field. I wanted to preserve the original intent of the thread and keep it open to comments about other candidates. I split off the Ron Paul discussion and posted to the original thread that that had been done with a link to the new thread. I still feel this is appropriate.

Regarding "starting a new thread under my name", the thread starter holds no special meaning. The thread starter has no more responsibility or control than the their first post to create the thread. It's not "your" thread, but generally the thread starter is the person who started the thread. When a thread is split, the thread starter of the new thread is whoever happens to have the first post in the split off thread. In this case, I didn't "put your name on it" but rather it just happened to fall out that way. It doesn't mean anything. I see that you posted to the thread that you didn't start it and that's fine with me.

5. TopTop #5
    Neshamah

The original thread was for all Presidential candidates, but Ron Paul was the only candidate that anyone really wanted to discuss.

~ Neshamah