Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    oshabearroo

anyone know how to make applejack?

With this plethra of apples falling on the ground I have been wanting to make something fun and interesting with them... like applejack! I have a distiller but don't know the process of fermentation and such. So if anyone has any experience or even a reference I would highly appreciate it. And I'm happy to share the fruits of the labor as compensation for the info!! Peace, Osha
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: anyone know how to make applejack?

Here's a company that sells equipment. Their "how to" articles are pretty good. You can rent crushers and presses at some Sonoma county rental yards:
    https://www.leeners.com/hardcider.html

Ice method (from apple wine):
    https://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack.html

Interesting thread on the topic:
    https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8711

I agree the "windfall" apples in Sonoma county are a disgrace. I wish it didn't cost so much in the way of labor to make use of them. Perhaps someone could start making fuel from them so we can import a little less oil.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

-Jeff

PS. I have my first fermentation project underway right now. About four gallons of soon to be hard cider!

3. TopTop #3
    Deborah1

I have a distiller but don't know the process of fermentation and such. So if anyone has any experience or even a reference I would highly appreciate it.

Hi Osha,

You can rent the grinder/press combo from Beverage People in SR for $45/day.

I borrowed a book from a friend so that I could learn to make hard cider. The book has a description of the basics of making Applejack and Apple Brandy. It also warns that possessing and using a still is illegal without a permit, and carries high fines. You doubtless know this, but just passing along the info.

The book is "Making, Using and Enjoying Sweet and Hard Cider" written by Annie Proulx (yes, that Annie Proulx, before she began her career as a novelist) and Lew Nichols. It's a good book, but might not give you enough info to make applejack, unless you already know the basics of distilling.

Good Luck!

4. TopTop #4
    rudio

Reminds me of my college days oh so long ago. We'd put a package of active yeast in a gallon of apple juice, keep tabs on it until it turned into hard cider, then put it in freezable containers into a deep freeze. A lot of the water would freeze out leaving a potent brew.