Hello Everyone!
I am the (now graduated) High School senior who wrote the Sonoma County Environmental Guide, which was posted here on Wacco, and on other websites/stores around the county.
As is concurrent with my current goals for my future, I am researching other alternative endeavors I could pursue next year, should the Peace Corps not accept me into their program for the project I was nominated for in Latin America. I read about the Pole To Pole Leadership program a while ago, before the Peace Corps, or even taking a year off had entered my mind, and was incredibly intrigued by the concept. This organization, as is written on their website, has the vision to " Inspire, empower, and train youth to take initiative and become leaders addressing the critical issues of our time. The Pole to Pole Leadership Institute captures the imagination of youth world-wide by undertaking epic journeys that demonstrate how youth can overcome obstacles, become leaders in their own right, and effect positive global change."
I was struck by the strength and immensity of this endeavor, and thought to myself...'wow, I should do this!' What an amazing opportunity!
Unfortunately, by the time I tried to apply, the application process for that year was already closed. 5 months after that time, I received an e-mail from the Institute, saying that they were sorry for not replying to my inquiry back in December when I applied, because my mail had accidentally gotten into their Junk folder. The woman who wrote me said that, in looking at my credentials and community work, she would highly suggest that I try to apply again, for this next upcoming trek, beginning in November of this year.
If I could do this, it would be the most epic and life-changing experience I might ever take part in. Please, if you would, read the following description of what this journey entails, and consider supporting me in my goal. Part of the application process requires each applicant to raise $250.00, from 10 donations of $25.00 in support of my application. Each individual who donates to my application is then considered part of my "Support Team."
I have made a larger pledge of $1000.00 to raise in the time between my acceptance into the program, and our departure date, in November. If you feel that this opportunity is as impacting and powerful as I do, please consider also donating to my more ambitious goal. If I am accepted into this trek, my life will be forever changed.
Here is the description, pulled off of the Pole To Pole Leadership Institute's website:

In November Of 2007...
...a team of young people from around the world will embark on the journey of a lifetime. They will set out from the South Pole, travel 18 months and 35,000 kilometers across ice, tundra and sand, through rain, extreme cold and heat, with only their bodies, minds, and fellow team members powering the expedition. These team members will ski, sail, bike, kayak and walk the entire route. They are the members of the Pole to Pole Expedition Team and this will be their journey. They will inspire millions to take on Climate Change and other critical issues of our time.

Two international teams made up of 10-12 young people will undertake the expedition. The first team will leave the South Pole in November 2007. They will work their way up to Mt. Kilimanjaro, then they will hand the journey off to the second team who will continue on to the North Pole. Two members of the first team will accompany the second, creating a continuous connection from one Pole to another.

Along the route the Expedition Teams will unite with Advance Teams who will be working on charitable programs for six to ten months in Africa and Europe. The Expedition Team will work with the Advance Teams for three to seven days on each project. During this time Education Teams will be traveling throughout North America and Europe. They will give presentations to schools and other youth organizations, linking students with the Expedition and Advance Teams in real time.

All three teams will work together to inspire, connect and empower the young people who come in contact with the Pole to Pole experience.

Please, if you feel so inclined, tell me what you think of this undertaking. I am utterly captured by the great strength of this project, and would very much like to be a part of it. Their website is:
https://poletopoleleadership.com/site/home.shtml

To donate to my goal, click on the APPLICANTS link, and then SEARCH FOR AN APPLICANT. Type in my name, KATHERINA HAUG, and the page will open to my home page, with a description of me and what I intend to do with my future/path of life.

Thank you so very much,

Katherina Haug