Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    moonrise

Space for Wacco Artists / Artisans?

Revisiting this subject. Is there a place for Wacco Artists / Artisans here? Would be helpful to have some means of direct communication and possible some grass roots solutions to obstacles, along with promoting art. The local gallery scene and the various councils for arts can only do so much. And who knows, there might be some interested in impromptu mornings out for painting or putting together poetry readings and other stuff?
    This was brought up previously and Ingo you posted a link to somewhere on waccobb net that addressed this but for all the effort I cannot get that link to take me anywhere but 'this link doesn't work page'.
    Regards,
    Dorothy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Space for Wacco Artists / Artisans?

Sorry, Dorothy, I did remove the artist category. I didn't notice any activity there, but I guess I missed something. I am trying to keep the number of categories very limited so it is not so intimidating to new members as well as keeping a measure of serendipity. For now, you are welecome to use the General Community or WaccoTalk categories. If there gets to be a lot of activity around art I'll consider making a separate category for it.

3. TopTop #3
    moonrise

No problem Ingo, I thought that's probably what happened. Thanks for trying!

4. TopTop #4
    moonrise

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    Sorry, Dorothy, I did remove the artist category. I didn't notice any activity there, but I guess I missed something. I am trying to keep the number of categories very limited so it is not so intimidating to new members as well as keeping a measure of serendipity. For now, you are welecome to use the General Community or WaccoTalk categories. If there gets to be a lot of activity around art I'll consider making a separate category for it.
    Tsk tsk Barry have you not heard "build it and they will come"? ;)

It was a little wee bit discouraging to be deleted and also some of the adverse comments not having to do with art. And I'd be glad to moderate it once i figure this stuff out better. Give me an idea of how much interest to we need to show to have a Wacco Artist/Artisan catagory?
    Tanks!

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by moonrise:
    Give me an idea of how much interest to we need to show to have a Wacco Artist/Artisan catagory?
    Tanks!
    I'd like to see about a dozen threads a week before creating a new category. Sorry, but I'll build it once you come.

Feel free to post away. You can consider a thread as a category to discuss openings and another to discuss obstacles, etc.

6. TopTop #6
    Brino

Revisiting this subject. Is there a place for Wacco Artists / Artisans here? Would be helpful to have some means of direct communication and possible some grass roots solutions to obstacles, along with promoting art. The local gallery scene and the various councils for arts can only do so much. And who knows, there might be some interested in impromptu mornings out for painting or putting together poetry readings and other stuff?
    This was brought up previously and Ingo you posted a link to somewhere on waccobb net that addressed this but for all the effort I cannot get that link to take me anywhere but 'this link doesn't work page'.
    Regards,
    Dorothy
    I have been encouraging artist to show their art out of their garage or shed; whatever. The impromptu group is call UGGG "Underground Garage Gallery Groupe. No gallery, no commission: just an artist showing out of their own space,BUT, we all do showings at the same time / same weekend, like a garage sale for artist. The first weekend we plan to launch is Oct. 15 and 16 th , that happens to be the same weekend that Artrails is happening.
    Go to the site www.uggg.iwarp.com and see all about it.
    toodles.
    brino

7. TopTop #7
    pagan

I think I was the one with the negative comments and I apologize for that.

What I was interested in was an online meeting to discuss and show the art itself, not a place to sell art or a place to talk about how to make some kind of alternate gallery to sell art. I want to talk about the qualities of posted art.

I suppose that means photography and poetry and prose as those are the only mediums that goes on this web medium. No way a computer screen does justice to oil on canvas, for instance.

So the idea was an online discussion about each separate piece of art which is what happens in a physical gallery. That would take the web experience structured on a per art piece entry rather than a per thread which just may not work here.

In short, I think I've been overruled here. The bulk of the postings seems to be about selling art, or not dealing with The Establishment Galleries.

I admit to not being a working artist so I'm probably disqualified out of hand.

Roger

Tsk tsk Barry have you not heard "build it and they will come"? ;)

It was a little wee bit discouraging to be deleted and also some of the adverse comments not having to do with art. And I'd be glad to moderate it once i figure this stuff out better. Give me an idea of how much interest to we need to show to have a Wacco Artist/Artisan catagory?
    Tanks!

8. TopTop #8
    moonrise

Roger, no this wasn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking of some words along the line that only wealthy can afford to be full time artists, etc.

I don't believe art is something reserved for the idle rich. I think that's a dangerous road to go down for many reasons.

There are many part time artists living and working here. I know many of them and count myself as one as well. That I do other work also, work for pay and volunteer work, to me doesn't make me any less an artist. It allows me to pursue art and pursue is a good term as I do pursue ideas and techniiques and how do I make it look like .... whatever I have in mind.

So what kind of Art are you doing?
    -Dorothy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pagan:
    I think I was the one with the negative comments and I apologize for that.

What I was interested in was an online meeting to discuss and show the art itself, not a place to sell art or a place to talk about how to make some kind of alternate gallery to sell art. I want to talk about the qualities of posted art.

I suppose that means photography and poetry and prose as those are the only mediums that goes on this web medium. No way a computer screen does justice to oil on canvas, for instance.

So the idea was an online discussion about each separate piece of art which is what happens in a physical gallery. That would take the web experience structured on a per art piece entry rather than a per thread which just may not work here.

In short, I think I've been overruled here. The bulk of the postings seems to be about selling art, or not dealing with The Establishment Galleries.

I admit to not being a working artist so I'm probably disqualified out of hand.

Roger

9. TopTop #9
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

On reviewing this thread, I noticed I missed one of Roger's comments:
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by pagan:
    I would most welcome multiple threads, each on a separate piece of art. You can attach a photo of the art piece in your post. Let me know if you need help doing that.

Barry

10. TopTop #10
    moonrise

Brino how did the Oct 15, 16 open garage go?

Hi Brino,
    I couldn't get your link to show anything about art :(
    How did it go?

I noticed several others also advertising their open garages/studios, etc. this last weekend and glad to see it!

I really like the idea of garage shows (or maybe the horseshed (cleaned of course!) or basement or whatever is handy. What were you showing and how did it go?
    Regards,
    Dorothy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Brino:
    I have been encouraging artist to show their art out of their garage or shed; whatever. The impromptu group is call UGGG "Underground Garage Gallery Groupe. No gallery, no commission: just an artist showing out of their own space,BUT, we all do showings at the same time / same weekend, like a garage sale for artist. The first weekend we plan to launch is Oct. 15 and 16 th , that happens to be the same weekend that Artrails is happening.
    Go to the site www.uggg.iwarp.com and see all about it.
    toodles.
    brino