Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    jmft

Radio Reception Problems

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice about enhancing the radio reception I get at my home. I live in the Montgomery Village area of S.R. and don't get NPR or KPFA in my home. I do get reception in my car when in my driveway. Any ideas on the best way to solve this problem?

Thanks, Jason
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Radio Reception Problems

Try tuning in KRCB on their alternate frequency of 90.9 and KQED's alternate frequency of 88.3. Or tune in on the web at https://www.KRCB.org, https://www.kqed.org and https://www.KPFA.org

Quote Posted in reply to the post by slimbo: View Post
    Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice about enhancing the radio reception I get at my home. I live in the Montgomery Village area of S.R. and don't get NPR or KPFA in my home. I do get reception in my car when in my driveway. Any ideas on the best way to solve this problem?

Thanks, Jason

3. TopTop #3
    Karl Frederick

Jason, it sounds as if you need to increase the signal strength available to your radio. The first step is to try the lowest cost approach -- a different antenna. Try using a dipole you can make very simply from 300 Ohm twinlead, or an old VHF TV "rabbit ear" antenna. Vary the placement and orientation. Height often helps.

Do you have a portable radio that you can use to scout out the best locations for reception?

Is the signal being blocked by some large metallic structure -- like a heating unit?

If the simple antenna doesn't work, a highly directional antenna, like the multi-element "yagi" style TV antennas used in fringe reception areas, may be required if your signal level is very low. This kind of antenna needs to be re-aimed to optimize the signal for each station.

Good luck!

4. TopTop #4
    naked.harry

I was always bummed by the difficulty in recieving KPFA until I purchased a SANSA mp3 player with a built in FM radio. It seems to get great reception no matter where I am, for KPFA.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by slimbo: View Post

Thanks, Jason