Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bookofdays

Gardening question

Hi,
    This is my first summer in northern california. i have a little garden space and would like to plant hydrangeas. The space is small mostly shady, but there are some sunny spots.

I was wondering bc of the heat in the summertime, do hydrangeas flourish in this type of climate at this point in the year? either way, i would appreciate any suggestions for summer gardening.

i have cked out some books on gardening, but would love some advice from someone with a real green thumb.

kindly,

bookofdays
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Ronaldo

Re: Gardening question

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bookofdays: View Post
    Hi,
    ...i have a little garden space and would like to plant hydrangeas. The space is small mostly shady, but there are some sunny spots.

I was wondering bc of the heat in the summertime, do hydrangeas flourish in this type of climate at this point in the year? ...
    I had hydrangeas in two locations when I lived in Guerneville both received direct sun for only a few hours and did very well for many years.
    Ron
    Last edited by Barry; 04-29-2007 at 11:11 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

My hydrangeas do just fine with part shade. They will need some sun and adequate moisture. Here's a great hydrangea site: https://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/index.html
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by bookofdays: View Post
    Hi,
    ...i have a little garden space and would like to plant hydrangeas. The space is small mostly shady, but there are some sunny spots.

I was wondering bc of the heat in the summertime, do hydrangeas flourish in this type of climate at this point in the year? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-29-2007 at 11:24 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    dladams

I have a hydrangea in my front yard in the sun in Santa Rosa. In the summer, the full sun is a bit too much and it sometimes gets sort of fried on very hot days. Partial sun would be a better location.

Also, if your garden space is small, these get very large.

5. TopTop #5
    chickadeedee

I am in Sebastopol and have beautiful hydrangias. In the fall I cut them way back and they come back in the spring. We have acid soil so ours are blue and kind of a pink/purple....They need alot of water when it is hot. We have ours in shade with some sun.