Dear Citizens and Fans of Cotati,

There was a HEATED meeting at the Cotati City Council last Weds. at which many people spoke out against the Council's inaction in effecting a much-discussed ban on fast food formula chain businesses in Cotati. The anger was provoked by the news that not only has a Subway Sandwich store signed a lease to operate in the Rancho Cotati Center, but that the landlord, Sunhill Corporation of Marin, was evicting 15 year tenant Friar Tucks – just because they could.

SPURRED TO ACTION BY THE CROWD, THE CITY COUNCIL HAS CALLED FOR AN EMERGENCY MEETING THIS MONDAY NIGHT MARCH 5, AT 7:00 PM TO DISCUSS ENACTING A MORATORIUM ON FUTURE DEVELOPMENT UNTIL WE HAVE AN ORDINANCE IN PLACE THAT ADDRESSES THE ISSUES OF BIG BOX, NATIONAL CHAINS AND FAST FOOD FORMULA STORES IN OUR TOWN. PLEASE COME – MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD- SIGNS WOULD NOT BE INAPPROPRIATE.

We can promise that the meeting will be packed with landlords and developers, so we hope for a big turnout of citizens & fans of Cotati who cherish it‘s small town, main street, mom and pop charm .

“As local institutions are increasingly being replaced by national conglomerates
and corporate chains, the sense of place, the sense of community, and
the very sense of reality is eroding. Would I rather enjoy a cup of
coffee at Starbucks, or at a mom-and-pop local cafe? The choice is mom
and pop, because in the long run mom and pop need me more than
Starbucks does, and will be here for me long after Starbucks leaves. “
Brian Dahmen
Adjunct Professor SSU

many thanks,
Carolina Clare & Barbara Iannoli
North Light Books & Cafe
550 E. Cotati Ave
Cotati, CA 94931