Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

State of the Union Address

I'm not sure; but I think they were clapping because he was pronouncing most of the words right!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Scariest part of the State of the Union Address

For a long time, Mr. Bush has wanted to hire mercenaries who could act as his private army, outside the law of the US and the world. Here is his proposal buried in his State of His Dreams address last night:

"A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps. Such a corps would function much like our military reserve. It would ease the burden on the Armed Forces by allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them. It would give people across America who do not wear the uniform a chance to serve in the defining struggle of our time."

The rest of his talk was scary, too.

Allan Hardman
    www.joydancer.com

3. TopTop #3
    Tars

Re: Scariest part of the State of the Union Address

Quote Posted in reply to the post by donallan:
    "A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps.
    I am an anti-fan of G-Dubya. But I don't see there that he's asking for "mercenaries". Heck, he already has mercs working Iraq, and we're paying for them! that's probably where a large chunk of the missing billion$ went that disappeared over there.

But, "a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps" is something I'd like to see some U.S. president bring to life. If the U.S. reduced our defense budget by even $50 billion, and used that money to fund a volunteer corps - like the Peace Corps for example, think of all the good we could do around the world!

That would be the best way I could think of to spend money on "Homeland Defense". It would take decades at least to change the general world loathing of the U.S. But the next prez would be wise if s/he creates a viable way for Americans to get out there and do good in the world.

Tars