Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bobafifi

Categories - the eBay way

Hi Barry,

A couple of weeks ago I posted about categories (see https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1105). A week before then, I posted about getting multiple posts of the same thing (see https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=929). Again, you were out of town so I'm presenting these issues again.

While I still feel WaccoBB.net would be best served without any categories whatsoever (simply the "New Posts" page and a good search function is all that's really needed), the way eBay channels new listings through a series of prompts works well for that mega-site. Integrating a similar interface *may* help to cut down on the multiple-posting problem here:

to...

etc.

-Bob
    https://www.usedviolins.com
    Last edited by bobafifi; 09-02-2005 at 09:23 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Categories - the eBay way

Bob,

eBay's list of categories is vast and needs many levels of heirarchy to find the appropriate one. Waccobb.net's is rather short as is presented on the opening page. That is the list to pick from when posting.

In addition, Ebay is a vast publicly held corporation, with legions of programmers, while WaccoBB.net is just little 'ol me working on the site in my spare time. Please keep this mind when asking for new features. Now, if you offering to do the work, or willing to pay to have it done, that's another matter...

3. TopTop #3
    bobafifi

Hi Barry,

OK, well how about my first suggestion then (see https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=929)? That is, when listing, users could choose as many categories as they wanted from a template but only ONE email send would go out.

-Bob

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Just as you don't want to receive multiple emails for a message posted to multiple categories, users of the website don't want to see a message in multiple categories. The policy is that a message is posted in just one category, with the exception when a new business is posting in the Business Directory for the first time, they may also post the business in the Services Offerred category.

5. TopTop #5
    bobafifi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    The policy is that a message is posted in just one category, with the exception when a new business is posting in the Business Directory for the first time, they may also post the business in the Services Offerred category.
    hmmm... so does that mean duplicate emails?? If so, is there a way you could join those posts? Again, having no categories (just the "New Posts" page and search) would solve the problem.

-Bob
    Last edited by bobafifi; 09-02-2005 at 11:40 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bobafifi:
    hmmm... so does that mean duplicate emails??
    Like I said, the policy to to post to just one category. I'm sure there will be people who try to post to more than one, but they will be gently reminded of the guideline.

Regarding having no categories, sorry, but this site will always have categories.

7. TopTop #7
    bobafifi

Like I said, the policy to to post to just one category. I'm sure there will be people who try to post to more than one, but they will be gently reminded of the guideline.
    By "hmmm... so does that mean duplicate emails?? If so, is there a way you could join those posts?" I was referring to your "with the exception when a new business is posting in the Business Directory for the first time, they may also post the business in the Services Offerred category." comment.

-Bob

8. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I was referring to your "with the exception when a new business is posting in the Business Directory for the first time, they may also post the business in the Services Offerred category." comment.
    Yes, for the moment, there will be duplicate messages in those cases, but that should be 100-200 over a YEAR.
    To prevent that, you could unsubscribe from the Business Directory categories.

9. TopTop #9
    bobafifi

To prevent that, you could unsubscribe from the Business Directory categories.
    Yes, but then I won't get the Business Directory posts, right?? BTW, I just received two sets of duplicate emails that once again illustrates the problem:

Category: General Community
    Thread: pro painter available

Category: Services and Products Offered
    Thread: painter ready to work!

-Bob

10. TopTop #10
    bobafifi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ingo:
    Everyone who posts in multiple categories, does it so intentionally by having to go through multiple steps in each category. The general rule is to avoid double posting, and we do contact any member who posted the same ad in numerous categories, as well as delete duplicates from the server. Nonetheless, people do what they want to do...
    Well OK...

You, Bob, are one of the few affected mostly, since you are choosing to receive individual e-mails for every post posted.
    Perhaps, though I know there are other list users here who prefer the speed and convenience of having the posts come to them instead of visiting a Web site for the same information. For those interested in doing the same, be advised that it took me nearly 15 minutes to subscribe to all the categories to get individual emails manually because there isn't another option.

I assume that people receiving the digest or looking at the website for new posts do not really care too much about double posts.
    I don't like spam - essentially what all the duplicates posts are. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels that way.

It takes a lot of programming effort (or $$$) to make your requested changes, which makes me question the necessity of doing so at this point, which does not mean that it could not be done at some point. Maybe you feel like working on that? I am sure it would be appreciated.
    Actually, eliminating all the categories would solve the problem of double-posting as well as the hierarchical nature of the board (i.e., those categories at the top of the page are more desirable from an "eye-balls" point-of-view to post to than those at the bottom). However, Barry doesn't want to do that and since this is his board, I'll respect his wishes.

-Bob
    Last edited by bobafifi; 09-02-2005 at 11:32 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Yes, bt then I won't get the Business Directory posts, right??
    Right. However they are very likely to also post in the Services and Products Offered category as well, which you would get.
    Quote BTW, I just received two sets of duplicate emails that once again illustrates the problem.
    This is going to happen from time to time. The idea is that they will be contacted and informed of the policy and not do it again. I will also be making the guidelines more visible to people.

Hey Bob, how about volunteering for double posting patrol?

12. TopTop #12
    bobafifi

Hey Bob, how about volunteering for double posting patrol?
    Thanks, but I prefer the "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" approach. I've stated in all seriousness what I believe to be the solution here - NO categories. However, since that is not an option, I've also suggested what look like some good alternatives that *might* help make the submission process for this site more intuitive to the user, as well cut down the duplicate posts for the recipient. Anyhow... it's your call Barry.

-Bob
    Last edited by bobafifi; 09-02-2005 at 09:06 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    bobafifi

OK, this is too much!

Category: General Community
    Thread: BEWARE!!! Sebastopol Computer

Category: Technology

Category: Personal and Consolidated Referrals

Category: For Sale/For Free/Wanted

Category: Business

Category: Commercial Merchandise

Category: WaccoTalk

-Bob
    Last edited by bobafifi; 09-02-2005 at 09:54 PM.

14. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

OK, this is too much!
    Bob,

Please don't post publicly about duplicates. You can either be a moderator and handle the duplicates as outlined below, or you can send me a private email.