Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Louise

2 laying hens/ $5. each

these hens are not too keen on laying now that the winter is here but they are not old and will lay again soon! just need to downsize. call 887-1227 if you are interested. sweet hens!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SEELOVE

Re: 2 laying hens/ $5. each

I live in the city but have been thinking of welcoming some hens into my organic, permaculture, ahisma backyard as friends, is this a dumb idea? Call me if you still have them and let me know what it takes.
    Nan 545-2322

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Louise:
    these hens are not too keen on laying now that the winter is here but they are not old and will lay again soon! just need to downsize. call 887-1227 if you are interested. sweet hens!

3. TopTop #3
    DCDarling

That's a lovely idea! Hens are funny, kind, pretty and they'll keep insects and weeds down. They do scratch and will dig up whatever you plant, not because they want to eat it, but because disturbed dirt is a good place to look for bugs.
    Santa Rosa allows hens, as far as I know, but probably not a rooster.
    You have to protect them from dogs, foxes, coons, hawks and owls, and give them a good place to lay their eggs and roost.
    I love hens.
    D

4. TopTop #4
    SEELOVE

"Thanks" and "Giving" now have a new home and are getting the best care i can figure to give. They have run of our whole backyard, organic greens and organic chicken food.

"Thanks" is a dominating girl and wants to peck at "Giving". Telling her "i am top chicken" and "that is not allowed" very forcefully seem to help, but i am really interested in any other suggestions?

They are great, quietly cleaning up the backyard, eating stuff i want to get rid of, beautiful and fun clucking happily away!

We hope this may be a new Thanksgiving Tradition, we adopted them the day before Thanksgiving and almost tried to resuce a turkey too, (not really rescued too as these where two very loved birds) but decided we need to do more research first to do it right. We want to make sure our small plot can handle a turkey or two and they won't be aggressive with our ancient beagle and two cats. Again any suggestions?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Louise:

5. TopTop #5
    Augustino Malisa

hi, thank a lot, so I will call you tomorrow see if you still have them?
    how old are they? and what breed are they?
    talk to you tomorrow.