Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    phredo

Ivermectin for prevention and treatment of COVID-19

I would have added this as a comment to the Dec. 13 entry on the "Dr. Campbell" thread, but it looks as if comments aren't allowed there. Rather than talk it up myself, I'll just add some links that I hope will be of value.

Dr. Campbell's Dec. 12 video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWQtT7dHGE

Dr. Mobeen Syed interviews Dr. Paul Marik about the "I-MASK+" protocol for prevention and treatment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8XcBodQv0

Dr. Pierre Kory 5 min Vimeo video:
    https://vimeo.com/473929788/382c386d60

I-MASK+ Protocol (2 page pdf):
    https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...27-ENGLISH.pdf

Ivermectin FAQ:
    https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-ma...on-ivermectin/

One page summary of Ivermectin trials evidence:
    https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...n-COVID-19.pdf

The 33 page version of the above ("Review of the Emerging Evidence Demonstrating the Efficacy of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19"):
    https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-c...f-COVID-19.pdf

Finally, since Ivermectin is a prescription drug only in the U.S.:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gettingIvermectin/

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    pamelaL

Re: Ivermectin for prevention and treatment of COVID-19

the fact that Ivermectin is among the lengthening list of cheap drugs is very old news in my circles. Unfortunately now there has been a run on it and I imagine soon to be made unavailable by our dear leaders like HCQ - BUT - I was told you can still get it at a feed store - it's the same exact drug they give to horses, but at the feed stores it comes as a paste - ugh... good luck - but exact same drug.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by phredo: View Post

4. TopTop #3
    phredo

The horse paste is what I used. Easy to take, not even a bad taste. It happens that horses are dosed the same as humans, by weight, 0.2 mg per kilogram.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    gypsey

Can you share how a de-worming paste for horses that kills parasites will kill a virus?
    Would llke to know. Thanks

Quote Posted in reply to the post by phredo: View Post

7. TopTop #5
    gypsey

PS to my previous post. I decided to check for myself.
    The FDA FAQ site states that Ivermectin is designed to treat parasitic worms and has been tried on humans for certain types of parasites. It was also used in combo during an early SARs drug trial.
    The FDA site does a good job, in my opinion describing why a drug might be used as an ingredient in an early scientific study without being applicable or effective for actual use.
    The site also describes side effects of Ivermectin when ingested by humans.
    Based on what I read --that Ivermectin, a parasitic de-wormer, and has no known effect on COVID, I don't plan to take it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    socoexpat

While I’ll admit there have been so VERY limited in-vivo trials with ivermectin, which had some limited success, several points need to be made here.

Most if not all of the studies combined an antibiotic with ivermectin, the same procedure used in some cases for treating several other rna viruses. A host of other substances, from supplements to other prescription drugs were used on a case by case basis.

It is important to note Ivermectin can have a number of potentially life threatening reactions - most commonly severe kidney damage, dangerous drops in blood pressure, and severe skin rashes requiring hospitalization.

It is worth noting here to that the dosage rate for ivermectin mentioned above is NOT the dosage rate used in the majority of the studies, never mind that the studies generally used it in conjunction with antibiotics.

It’s also worth noting that the studies have largely looking at the effect on those that have covid. While it has mildly promising results, especially combined with antibiotics and in some cases other anti parasite medicines, there is really no data on it as a prophylactic.

Also should be noted the course of treatment in the studies was 3-7 days.

Also of interest is that many of the people and sites promoting people treat themselves with this also pushed hydroxychloraquine, which has been shown, in study after study, to be basically worthless. Some of the ivermectin studies even had one group take one and the other the other- and found HCQ worthless.

I do not currently see any real evidence to support Ivermectins use as a prophylactic, especially without doctor supervision given the potential risks.

Finally- for the conspiracy theorists out there- if you bother looking at the FDA, NCBI, NIH etc - they are actively tracking all the worlds studies of Ivermectin, and there are expedited programs in place for new treatments. The science is simply not there yet. There are also millions of doctors tracking the myriad of drug studies going on - and if the science warrants it they can and will prescribe an off-label use of any prescription medication. As of yet the science has not been there for any real group or organization to support Ivermectins use- unlike a number of other drugs….

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Zeno Swijtink

Conclusion: Don't try this at home!

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    phredo

Well, let's see!

First I suggest reading this FAQ:
    https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-ma...on-ivermectin/
    The fifth FAQ discusses safety, the short answer being that ivermectin has been used on more than four billion patients with few side effects, most of which have to do with a particular illness confined to Africa and most of rest due to the effects of one's body sloughing off the various parasites the drug is used to treat.

"I’ll admit there have been so VERY limited in-vivo trials" Much more than that, many clinical trials. Consider this: WHO-sponsored review of ivermectin trials indicates 83% reduction in covid mortality. While this meta study, which came to public attention on Dec. 31 -- the linked page contains a 12-minute Youtube, only covered hospital studies, here are studies considering prevention and early treatment. (Prophylaxis and early treatment discussion begins on about page 7.)

"...the dosage rate for ivermectin mentioned above is NOT the dosage rate used in the majority of the studies..." In fact, the dosage I mentioned, 0.2mg/kg body weight, is the dose most often used both for ivermectin on-label (anti-parasitic) use and in most studies. Some covid studies have used 0.4mg/kg and the number of days given is another variable.

Comparing ivermectin with hydrochloraquine seems a bit of "guilt by association", although, interestingly enough, in a few of the hospital studies the control group involved HCQ and azithromycin, since those are in fact widely used in other countries. But really the one has nothing to do with the other.

No, I cannot explain the science behind using ivermectin. Although I have a generally technical background, following the Krebs Cycle in school was hard enough. Modern medical chemistry is beyond me, and I prefer to stick to what experts and studies indicate for highly technical matters. I also don't try to understand quantum mechanics or string theory.

"
    Conclusion: Don't try this at home!" That conclusion does not seem to be based on much, but please do what makes sense to you.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

M/M