Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Haiku Habitat
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    Jim Wilson

Re: Haiku Habitat

Seven Seraphim
    Sat at the top of the dune
    To watch the sun set

James Moore - The Haiku Companion, 2012

James Moore writes in the 'Introduction' to this collection: "I first learned about haiku in a high school creative writing class in the late 1960's. Although I experienced many different styles of writing in that class, haiku quickly became my first love. It requires a great deal of the writer -- the ability to create in the reader a complete sense of an entire scene -- in only three short lines and 17 syllables."

The collection of 830 haiku is divided into two sections. The first part tend to be more traditional in the sense that most of them are seasonal and/or naturescapes. In the second part the haiku tend to be more introspective and/or philosophical. The first part is called 'The World We See' and the second part us called 'The Lives We Live'.

Moore's haiku sometimes use literary allusion, which is rare in English language haiku, but very common in Japanese haiku. The reference to Seraphim in line 1 is an example; it automatically brings up a biblical feeling. Moore is also skillful at using literary techniques to shape and frame his haiku. An example of this is Moore's use of alliteration in this haiku. The haiku begins with three words starting with the 's' sound (Seven Seraphim Sat) and concludes with two 's' sound words (sun set). No words between these two sets use the 's' sound. The result is that the alliterative 's' sound frames the haiku, giving the haiku a secure sense of setting. This kind of thing makes 'The Haiku Companion' a valuable resource for the budding haiku poet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #62
    Jim Wilson

I won't miss this year --
    Perhaps its gifts will appear
    A decade from now.

Jim Wilson -- December 2020

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #63
    Jim Wilson

All of us sitting
    At the foot of the world-tree:
    First day of the year.

Shirao -- Translated by Robin Gill, 'The Fifth Season', edited by Jim Wilson

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #64
    Jim Wilson

Such a fine first dream . . .
    But they laughed at me . . . they said
    I had made it up.

Takuchi -- Translated by Peter Beilenson, A Haiku Garland, 1968

In traditional Japan the first dream of the New Year was thought of as especially significant and people would share these dreams. The poet Takuchi shared his dream, but his companions thought his fine dream was contrived.

A brief word about the New Year period in traditional Japan. There were two calendars in use. One was the lunar-solar Chinese calendar that many in the West are familiar with. The timing of this New Year is the second new moon (lunar) after the winter solstice (solar). This can range from January 22nd to about February 19th. The second calendar is known as the 24 Solar Terms (here the word 'terms' means 'durations', as in 'term of office'). The 24 Solar Terms is a solar calendar with 24 months of 15, or sometimes 16, days. The New Year for the 24 Solar Terms is February 4th. February 4th is mid-way between the December Solstice and the March Equinox.

In East Asia the equinoxes and solstices mark the mid-point of the seasons. The December Solstice is the mid-point of winter, considered to be winter's strongest day. February 4th was considered to be the beginning of Spring and the March Equinox was the mid-point of Spring, whereas in the West we think of the March Equinox as the beginning of Spring.

Japanese haiku poets before the modern period, marked by the Meiji Restoration, tended to use the 24 Solar Terms as the basis for their seasonal haiku. What that means is that when we come across a haiku for the New Year, from a pre-modern Japanese poet, they consider these haiku to be Spring haiku, rather than Winter haiku. It takes some time to adjust. In many cases, like the one above, it doesn't matter. On the other hand, when coming across a phrase in Japanese haiku like 'Spring begins', it is likely they mean February 4th, the New Year of the 24 Solar Terms.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #65
    Jim Wilson

After the crickets
    have left for winter quarters
    the clock ticks louder

Joyce W. Webb -- American Haiku, Vol. II, No. 2, 1964

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #66
    Jim Wilson

Thick clouds lowering . . .
    brown eyes of horses blinking
    through the whirling snow

Rebecca Lilly - Shadwell Hills, 2002

12. Gratitude expressed by:

M/M
  13. TopTop #67
    Jim Wilson

Waccobb is closing; I'm sure you have all read Barry's post. I want to thank Barry for all the work he put into this site. It was a great contribution to the Sebastopol community.

For those who might be interested in formal haiku, the art of 5-7-5, I have a group on Facebook called 'Formal Haiku'. Come on over and take a look.

I started this thread with a haiku by Richard Wright. It seems fitting that it's last post should also be one by Richard Wright:

The scent of an orange
    By an ice-coated window
    In a rocking train.

Thanks again, Barry, and best wishes for 2021.

14. Gratitude expressed by 7 members: