Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    SonomaPatientsCoop

The furure after Covid-19

While, with luck, we will be through the worst of this pandemic by August.. the damage done will be much longer lasting.

The federal government passed a 2.2 Trillion stimulus/bailout/recovery bill. This is 2/3rds of what the government brings in in a year. Add to this the hundreds of billions released by the Treasury and the 2nd round of aid being debated in congress... and well, our national credit card debt is shooting through the roof.

In SF I've heard staggering numbers on the loss of revenue from bridge tolls, bart, muni. I'm sure the Smart train is bleeding far worse than before. Santa Rosa is surely loosing a fortune in parking (and probably more in parking tickets). Sales taxes have dropped massively.

Sonoma County relies heavily on tourism. And while "the season" would really just be beginning- it's likely to see a far, far worse year than the previous years hurt by fires and floods.

Which I suppose leads to another point- we are likely to exit the pandemic just in time to enter fire season.

CA as a state is rapidly blowing through its surplus- which took many, many years to build. I don't think we've tapped the 1/2 of the "rainy day fund" we can in a year yet but it seems likely we will- if not during the pandemic- then during the aftermath.

And it's not just CA...or the US, but much of the world. Even many countries that were doing well are likely to struggle for years after this. Many of the most vulnerable... I hate to think what will happen when the countries that once helped them are no longer able...

How many times have we seen this play out on a personal level? Some form of crisis. We run up the credit cards thinking we will get through this, but there are so many complications...and everything falls apart.

No ones really talking about what comes next. What happens when "the crisis" is over - but it isn't. Because the aid dries up. But the world hasn't returned to normal. And people start loosing their homes. They don't have jobs to go back to.... And consider... after this over... what portion of people will return to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, theaters, Disneyland, music festivals, beer festivals...etc ? My guess is those numbers will remain depressed for some time.

I guess that my point is... the states are blowing through the reserves it's taken a decade (or decades) to build up. The Fed is just charging the credit card. Revenues are going to be way, way....way down for a year. Maybe three. Maybe more.

Maybe Covid-19 is going to do what climate change and so many other issues failed to do...show us the house of cards our "reality" is built on.

LONG DAYS AHEAD.....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    podfish

Re: The furure after Covid-19

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ...Maybe Covid-19 is going to do what climate change and so many other issues failed to do...show us the house of cards our "reality" is built on.
    LONG DAYS AHEAD.....
    something has to be the tipping point, I suppose. This comes on faster than climate change, slower than earthquakes or fires. People seem to like to imagine that these various challenges/disasters are like lightning - a flash, gone with maybe some damage to repair, but not cumulative. That's not the right analogy. I'm not sure what is! but there's a long list of natural and man-made events that are no less likely than they were before.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Re: The future after Covid-19

My own thinking is that IT IS OVER, by which I mean life in America as we have known it, and perhaps even beyond. We humans have messed this place up, and continue to do so.

6. TopTop #4
    cocreator

Re: The furure after Covid-19

Yes, this is a global reset. There are numerous wise voices out there, in print, podcasts, video, webinars. Here are some links. Watch/read what most calls to you now:

Cherokee Grandmother's Message to Humanity 2020 (video)

What On Earth Is Going On?

The Mythic Call (video)

The Healing Is Mutual

COVID-19: A Spiritual Event? (April 9thwebinar. This is the replay.)

Corona Global Gifts — A Time of Compassion and Community (video)

444 Gateway Transmission: Birthing the Age of Aquarius (video)

These 3 are mine:

COVID-19 Or CORVID-20? Giving Us Something to Crow About

The Paper Chase (contains same links as above)

Catalyst (my April newsletter)

May these resources support and soothe you during this awakening time! Blessings, All.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    something has to be the tipping point, I suppose. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-12-2020 at 11:02 AM.