Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Thad

Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

CNN: Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-03-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

Well, I'd say it's worth noting that among the "experts"... this still seems to be a minority opinion.

I'd also say it's worth noting that after several centuries "the experts" still do not understand nor agree on how "the flu" is spread.

It doesn't change the basics... wash your hands, keep your distance, sneeze/cough into elbow or a cloth. Take care of yourself in general...

I'd say from the evidence of cruise ships etc it does not seem this is highly tramismissable via aerosol. That is not to say it can not be. It seems like some other diseases to be mostly droplet spread- but aerosol is possible under certain conditions- whether those are conditions of environment, high load in the carrier, some other unknown factor, some combination... ?

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Finell
    Supporting Member

Re: Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

Every expert I know of says that the primary vector for transmitting SARS-CoV-2 is breath to breath (i.e., aerosol transmission). This is one of the first things that was known about this virus. That is why so-called social distancing is effective in reducing transmission of the disease.

Please cite the literature that supports your statement that only a minority of experts believe this.

Please cite the literature that supports your statement that "the evidence of cruise ships etc" shows that this virus is not transmitted by aerosol.

Please cite the literature that supports your statement that medical science does not understand how influenza is transmitted.

The best thing to do if you must cough or sneeze is to not be near anyone else: run away. If an infected individual sneezes into an elbow, anyone within a few feet will still inhale the virus (although the elbow better than coughing or sneezing in someone's face). Because most cloth is porous, viruses fly through cloth as readily as birds fly through an open window.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ...I'd say from the evidence of cruise ships etc it does not seem this is highly tramismissable via aerosol. ... ?
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: