Sonoma County emergency management director disregards coronavirus shelter-in-place order, takes family to beach
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT March 29, 2020, 4:35PM

Sonoma County’s top emergency management official enjoyed a family road trip to the beach despite a strict shelter-in-place order that has closed Sonoma County parks, beaches and open spaces in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Chris Godley, the director of Emergency Management and leader of the county’s Emergency Operation Center, said he regrets the Saturday trip to the Sonoma County coast, which came to light after photos of the family trip were posted on Facebook.

“I own this,” said Godley, who has been with the county for two years. “It was a day off for my family. Any reasoning or justification is going to sound thin.”

In photos a source shared with The Press Democrat, Godley and his family appear to enjoy an otherwise abandoned, unnamed beach.

“Road tripping up the coast. Beautiful drive and nice views. Family beach time together. Grateful for fresh air and the ocean,” the post reads.

The shelter-in-place order, which took effect at 12:01 a.m. March 18, limits operation of all but the most essential business, and prohibits travel for all but essential employees or residents making essential trips. In strengthening the order by closing parks and open spaces March 23 after large weekend crowds swarmed the Sonoma Coast, county Public Health Officer Dr. Sundari Mase singled out trips to the beach as specifically problematic. Her order shuttered all parks in the county, including state parks and beaches.

Sonoma County Supervisor Lynda Hopkins, whose district encompasses the county’s coastline, was dismayed by Godley’s trip to the coast.

“I’m extremely disappointed,” she said. “In county government, we need to lead by example. We can’t possibly expect the community to hold themselves accountable if we don’t hold ourselves accountable as well.”

Continues here