Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Joe Biden? Why?
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    cyberanvil

Joe Biden? Why?

I suppose it's too late for anyone but Biden, but why are people voting for him? Haven't they seen him enough in interviews and on the campaign trail?
    Someone please explain why he’s not slipping into mental decline and irreverence. Why vote for Biden?
    Joe’s gaffe’s are not funny anymore. Why vote for someone who would likely tell a joke to Jack (who’s real name is Joe) about eating vanilla ice cream and then have someone tell him it’s chocolate ice cream?
    Last year, Corey Booker questioned his mental state and said that many question whether he can carry the ball. Kamala Harris called him a racist amongst other things. So now all the ex-nominee’s are lining up in a conga line and singing Cum-by-yah. Really? It won’t be the end of civilization if Trump wins. There’s always another day. Why embarrass the party and Joe as the front runner?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Joe Biden? Why?

Well, while I kind of think you're trolling a bit here... I'll still give somewhat of an answer...

First, to be clear- Kamala Harris did not call Biden a racist - she challenged him over his support for bussing decades ago. There is a big difference there and it''s worth noting Biden has huge support in the communities and by the people who were most affected by his support of bussing at the time.

I'm not a Biden fan, Having grown up on the east coast, and with much family in Delaware, I've actually met the man on numerous occasions. And, while I have disagreed with many of his positions over the decade, I'll admit he is part of a sadly dying breed. A politician that can accept political realities and try and work across the aisle to nudge things in a proper direction. While far from perfect I'd argue the old style of governance was ultimately far superior to our now heading towards 2 decades "do nothing" congress and a partisan divide that relies on executive orders and bills with just a few crossover votes... a system that deepens divisions in this nation and gave us the likes of Trump and Sanders.

The United States is not California. Nor is it Alabamma. As Lincoln said "A house divided cannot stand" . We are in very dangerous territory - narcissism and the belief that one view is right - the views of this diverse republic be damned.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    Well, while I kind of think you're trolling a bit here... I'll still give somewhat of an answer...
    I'm asking valid questions. Please stop with the trolling label. I like Sander's fire and commitment to his vision. I don't agree with him, but he's far more real than Biden.

So you are not concerned that in Biden's first year as President he will be hit with the Twenty-fifth Amendment (Amendment XXV) ?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-11-2020 at 01:51 PM.

6. TopTop #4
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cyberanvil: View Post
    So you are not concerned that in Biden's first year as President he will be hit with the Twenty-fifth Amendment (Amendment XXV) ?

Hmm. Let's see- you're not concerned that Sanders is a year older then Biden and had a heard attack a few months ago? after which- after having previously promised to release health records suddenly refused to do so?
    Or that Trump is 73...and we all know the stories about his "doctor" and his "health reports". Never mind looking at the man...

Or are you referring to Biden supposed gaffes? You do realize Biden has struggled with a stutter his entire life? And what that means to someone trying to express their thoughts? Or some of the stories he's "mixed up"? Hell- having been with someone for over 20 years I can tell you there are many big events in our lives we remember differently. I can say this with long time friends as well. It's human nature. We all do it. And unlike Trump he doesn't seem to willingly lie about events....

As I said- I'm not a Biden fan.Ideologically I lean more towards Biden (well, Warren) But- I grew up in the east. I travel a lot. And Sanders has, as Warren said, never accomplished anything he believed in nor stopped anything he didn't. And, as in 2016, I saw zero chance of Sanders being able to win in the crucial east and midwest swing states.

So yea, I'll take Biden for the democratic nominee.But depending on how things largely outside of the presidents control look on Election Day (the economy, coronavirus, Brexit, the Middle East, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia... I may still vote for Trump. If things are going to hell regardless of who's in office I'd rather the Republcans take the blame...

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    cyberanvil

SonomaPatientsCoop writes -----

Hmm. Let's see- you're not concerned that Sanders is a year older then Biden and had a heard attack a few months ago? after which- after having previously promised to release health records suddenly refused to do so?
    Or that Trump is 73...and we all know the stories about his "doctor" and his "health reports". Never mind looking at the man...No.

Or are you referring to Biden supposed gaffes? You do realize Biden has struggled with a stutter his entire life? And what that means to someone trying to express their thoughts? Or some of the stories he's "mixed up"? Hell- having been with someone for over 20 years I can tell you there are many big events in our lives we remember differently. I can say this with long time friends as well. It's human nature. We all do it. And unlike Trump he doesn't seem to willingly lie about events..I’m not taking gaffe’s into account. It’s the obvious signs of dementia that I’d be worried about.

As I said- I'm not a Biden fan.Ideologically I lean more towards Biden (well, Warren) But- I grew up in the east. I travel a lot. And Sanders has, as Warren said, never accomplished anything he believed in nor stopped anything he didn't. And, as in 2016, I saw zero chance of Sanders being able to win in the crucial east and midwest swing states. Possibly. Everyone has an opinion.

So yea, I'll take Biden for the democratic nominee.But depending on how things largely outside of the presidents control look on Election Day (the economy, coronavirus, Brexit, the Middle East, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia... I may still vote for Trump. If things are going to hell regardless of who's in office I'd rather the Republcans take the blame...What ever.

9. TopTop #6
    luke32

Because Biden has a better chance at beating Trump than does Sanders. The composition of the House and Senate in 2021, whoever is President, will not allow passage of legislation that Bernie espouses
    Last edited by Barry; 03-12-2020 at 01:53 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    So yea, I'll take Biden for the democratic nominee.But depending on how things largely outside of the presidents control look on Election Day (the economy, coronavirus, Brexit, the Middle East, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia... I may still vote for Trump. If things are going to hell regardless of who's in office I'd rather the Republcans take the blame...
    that's too big a gamble for me, but I think that whoever is in office is going to be screwed again by the economy. I guess it's a new trend - it's a cliche that the Republicans always hand off an economic mess to their Democratic successors. Clinton and Obama both had that, escalating each time, and this, especially with the Covid stuff, and the way Trump's throwing out tax cuts and subsidies, is likely to be the worst of all. And Obama didn't have to do health-care, but any elected Democrat will. I agree with the point of view of the critics from the right that there are a lot of expensive promises being made, but I draw a different conclusion than they do. When you dodge necessary expenses, you generally get an ever-decreasing quality of life. Sooner or later the power goes off and the car gets repossessed or breaks down in the desert.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #8
    rossmen

Politics is a worldwind of excessive opinion. The president has less power, by far, than a newly transferred bat virus. I remember the infected tom hanks saying in 16 that even if trump wins everything will be fine. Though I loath the guy, I might vote for him if he really has a chance here. Why not give him a landslide? Empower the fool, we all need to laugh.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    that's too big a gamble for me, but I think that whoever is in office is going to be screwed again by the economy...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-13-2020 at 11:53 AM.