Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  • Thread Tools
  1. TopTop #1
    kmontgomery's Avatar
    kmontgomery
     

    Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools


    When
    Friday, July 19th;1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
    Where Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    Cost Free
    Event Website Add to Google Calendar
    Free Workshop for Older Adults - Affordable Housing Application Tools


    Be empowered, informed and supported by a panel of experts. This workshop will provide:

    • Housing Application Strategies
    • Quick Housing Guide for Sonoma County
    • Rental Resume & Property Manager Letter of Introduction Templates
    • Affordable Rental Property Listings
    • Best Practices
    "When my spouse died, I discovered I could not afford to stay in my home. I had no idea there were waiting lists to access affordable rentals"
    Last edited by Barry; 07-03-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  3. TopTop #2
    DreadTori's Avatar
    DreadTori
     

    Re: Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools

    Location:  Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    I just have to laugh at this. Most of the time I feel like crying.....

    Iíve been on the countyís affordable/HUD housing/section 8 list for 7 years and now Iím shoved off along with everyone else so the county can have people sign up again and hopefully get picked in a lottery for 500 spaces. There were over TWENTY SIX THOUSAND people on the county list, but now there will only be 500 on a list who MIGHT get a home? This is how the problem of too many of us low income folks in this area get housing?
    This is profoundly unfair for those of us who have been updating our info every year, as requested, so we could stay on the list.

    Iím also on several specific lists at different housing places in the county & have been told to expect to wait at least 8-10 years for an affordable place.

    Iím a low income senior and, fortunately, right now, I live with someone who has been generous & keeps my share of the rent as low as she can. I still spend half my income on rent. This is after working my entire life, saving for my retirement and then seeing 75% of it disappear in the crash, then get laid off at age 59 & having to use what I had left to pay for housing. Iím 67 and I want to retire. Thatís not possible now. And I know lots of seniors in exactly the same circumstances.

    These workshops to help people sign up are exercises in futility. Iíve been to plenty of them over the years; I get put on a list and then Iím told that it will probably take a decade or more before my name will get to the top of the list.

    What a waste of my time.

    Quote kmontgomery wrote: View Post
    Free Workshop for Older Adults - Affordable Housing Application Tools


    Be empowered, informed and supported by a panel of experts. This workshop will provide:

    • Housing Application Strategies
    • Quick Housing Guide for Sonoma County
    • Rental Resume & Property Manager Letter of Introduction Templates
    • Affordable Rental Property Listings
    • Best Practices
    "When my spouse died, I discovered I could not afford to stay in my home. I had no idea there were waiting lists to access affordable rentals"
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  5. TopTop #3
    rossmen
     

    Re: Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools

    Location:  Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    Understand that from a government mindset outreach = action. So for the county to spend money hosting a workshop to expand ten year waiting lists for old people to have an affordable home, that's doing something. It might not solve anyone's problem, but at least something is being done. And it provides purpose for the organizing agency!
    Quote DreadTori wrote: View Post
    I just have to laugh at this. Most of the time I feel like crying.....

    Iíve been on the countyís affordable/HUD housing/section 8 list for 7 years and now Iím shoved off along with everyone else so the county can have people sign up again and hopefully get picked in a lottery for 500 spaces. There were over TWENTY SIX THOUSAND people on the county list, but now there will only be 500 on a list who MIGHT get a home? This is how the problem of too many of us low income folks in this area get housing?
    This is profoundly unfair for those of us who have been updating our info every year, as requested, so we could stay on the list.

    Iím also on several specific lists at different housing places in the county & have been told to expect to wait at least 8-10 years for an affordable place. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  6. Gratitude expressed by:

  7. TopTop #4
    DreadTori's Avatar
    DreadTori
     

    Re: Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools

    Location:  Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    Itís a frigging merry go round that the government puts people on when it comes to signing up
    on these lists. It gives people false hope and itís CRUEL. Personally, I think doing this kind of nasty shit to people is unconscionable. Just so they can say, ďSee, weíre doing something about affordable housing!Ē When theyíre doing nothing really to help people, but they ARE harming people psychologically. Itís disgusting.
    Quote rossmen wrote: View Post
    Understand that from a government mindset outreach = action. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-07-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  8. TopTop #5
    Dorothy Friberg's Avatar
    Dorothy Friberg
     

    Re: Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools

    Location:  Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    Oops, Rossmen; sounds like you drank the Kool aid. I have been working with the 'homeless' situation going to endless planning meetings, etc. At a 'Homeless Summit" some three years ago, projections were that it would take 8 months to get things moving. In the meantime large buildings remain empty and underutilized (i.e. the old hospital on Chanate). These programs employ people who schedule endless meetings, even feeding lunch to attendees. It is a matter of "everyone talking about the weather but no one is doing anything about it". In the meantime county employees continue to pretend that they are doing something while ranking up their precious retirement plans (which we all pay for) and cashing their regular paychecks. These are do nothing committees. We have yet to see the money spent on the REAL needs of our community.

    Quote rossmen wrote: View Post
    Understand that from a government mindset outreach = action. So for the county to spend money hosting a workshop to expand ten year waiting lists for old people to have an affordable home, that's doing something. It might not solve anyone's problem, but at least something is being done. And it provides purpose for the organizing agency!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  9. Gratitude expressed by:

  10. TopTop #6
    podfish's Avatar
    Supporting Member

    Re: Free Workshop for Adults 60+ Covers Affordable Housing Application Tools

    Location:  Employment & Training, 2227 Capricorn Way, #100, Santa Rosa
    Quote Dorothy Friberg wrote: View Post
    Oops, Rossmen; sounds like you drank the Kool aid..
    I think you missed his point. If I understood it, he's only saying that from the point of view of local government, the fact they're hosting workshops means that they're doing something. From the point of view of people who need things to actually change, it doesn't feel like it. 'Cuz it isn't, really.. I think this is yet another case of irony not surviving contact with the internet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  11. Gratitude expressed by:

Tags (user supplied keywords) for this Thread

Bookmarks