Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    M/M

Health-impairment concerns due to Vegan diet

Stories re: health-impairment due to vegan diet:

'My vegan diet brought on early menopause': a poster girl for the meat-free revolution. But in a shocking confession, cookery author and social media guru VIRPI MIKKONEN, 39, admits it ruined her health (so she's eating burgers!)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...menopause.html

and:
    Child endangerment: Belgian legal opinion declares imposition of vegan diets on children is unethical; may lead to changes in law

Vegan diets are increasing the rate of malnutrition in wealthy countries

12 year old vegan has the degenerating bones of 80 year old

Toddler fed a vegan diet was so malnourished she had no teeth; parents face prison

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    EmeraldMatra

Re: Health-impairment concerns due to Vegan diet

To be successful and healthy on a vegan diet one must learn some basic nutrition.
    Here is a vegan starter guide that we recommend: http://occupysonomacounty.org/sites/...Kit-US-1.0.pdf
    There are two days left in our May Meat Challenge campaign, requesting that people consider eating an 80-100% plant-based diet to reduce greenhouse gas and the climate change impact of animal agriculture. A vegan lifestyle is not for everyone, but all diets agree that we should be eating mostly vegetables.
    For more information about the May Meat Challenge go to: http://occupysonomacounty.org/maymeatchallenge.
    Occupy Sonoma County
    Last edited by Barry; 05-30-2019 at 12:32 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Health-impairment concerns due to Vegan diet

Learning "basic nutrition" is kind of a science. I don't think the majority of people know it. I've seen many people who don't even know that cooking is a science. Even if you can "learn" it, there needs to be a supportive environment to actually implement it, and your physical chemistry needs to be able to thrive on it. For those raised in vegan homes, with a parent who is trained in basic nutrition, it seems like a healthy lifestyle if everyone is thriving on it. Not all thrive on vegan diets. Some don't do well at all.

For those of us raised on meat diets, as I was when it was available, or things such as cow's brains and picked pig's feet, which were cheap enough for our poor family. I also lived for a time with a Latino family who cooked tripe (cow's stomach lining). In Mexican countries, we see a lot of meats sold that are normally discarded as "unfit for human consumption". How do they thrive?

The Latino people who are raised on this diet, are the ones who perform the heaviest, most undesirable work in our country, and continue to do it into their 80's and sometimes 90's. What seems to affect their health isn't the meat diet necessarily, but the poisons that are sprayed on the plant crops that they're tending for us, and breathing.

The ideal is to have someone skilled in basic nutrition, who can provide prepared vegan foods for me. The basic facts about me, and many I know, are:

• Disabled, low income senior,
    • Minimal kitchen space in refrigerator and freezer
    • No storage allowed in garage (my car is a kind of storage area, but not for food).
    • Small bedroom with a maximum of 3.5' of floor space around my twin bed
    • Small closet with very few clothes. I wear the same things over and over. Fashion is non-existent in my life, but I don't care. Health is of primary importance.
    • Boutique grocery stores such as those in Sebastopol are beyond my reach, but many of you have disposable income that is spent in WF and Community Market. I happened to be in Community Mkt a few years ago, after a cannabis workshop, to get a bite to eat. The woman in line behind me had a small container of cat grass. I'd priced it in various places, and was growing it myself, but I asked "How much is that?" Her reply was "Oh, I don't know....my cat likes it! No concern or knowledge of cost, because it didn't matter, like it does to me and many others.
    • I recently tried Beyond Meat burgers, which are very pricey at $5-$6 for 2 frozen burgers. The taste was pretty good, but the cooking smell was nauseating to me. Which may be similar to what vegans experience when they smell meat cooking.
    • Someone gave me a beautiful Spiralizer and cookbook recently. Now, where will I store this, and the veggies I buy to spiralize? I've bought frozen spiralized zuchinni, which was full of melted water as I sauteed it. Instructions were not to defrost before cooking. I've also bought fresh spiralized veggies, which went bad because I didn't cook them immediately.
    I know a woman who was a vegan for 25 years, and dealt with one health issue after another until she came close to dying, along with her vegan husband. After expensive tests and other protocols, in an attempt to discover what was killing her, it was determined that she should return to eating meat and fish. She's healthier now, and glad to be alive and over the horror she and her husband lived with for many years as vegans.

I do agree that eating more plants and less meat is healthier for most people. I know someone with Crohn's that isn't able to eat several kinds of plant materials, fruit or vegetables. She has many other health issues.

So veganism isn't for every body.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by EmeraldMatra: View Post
    To be successful and healthy on a vegan diet one must learn some basic nutrition.
    Here is a vegan starter guide that we recommend: http://occupysonomacounty.org/sites/...Kit-US-1.0.pdf...

5. Gratitude expressed by: