Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    anaturalwoman
    Supporting Member

Boho's "Open Mic"

What Would Trump Do?

Do the opposite—you'll feel better
    BY STETT HOLBROOK

As a journalist I am, of course, all for an informed citizenry. Democracy dies when the public is kept in the dark or disconnects from what our government is up to. But sometimes staying too informed can be hazardous to your mental health. At least that's been the case for me when it comes to staying on top of the latest abominations from the Trump administration.

During the run-up to the election, I was glued to the news: Politico, the New York Times, CNN, the Washington Post, FiveThirtyEight—anywhere I could get an update on what I hoped would be Trump's demise. But when the loathsome man-child was elected, I doubled down on my news consumption with equal parts horror and incredulity. How can this be happening?

Over the next few weeks, I noticed a change in myself. I knew Trump's rogues gallery of cabinet picks inside and out and read the news of each executive order with pained interest. But my binge consumption of Trump news was making me unhappy. So I unplugged from Trump news. Trump was president. Every one of his utterances or actions was horrible. What else did I need to know? I focused on my kids again. I admired spring flowers.

But then some new outrage pulled me back, and there I was again, hitting refresh on the DailyKos or ProPublica sites. Surely, such an incompetent and ignorant creature would fall on his own gilded sword and rid our nation of this waking nightmare. But it was not to be, at least not yet. And the cycle continued. Binge on news. Feel angry and depressed. Withdrawal from news. Reconnect with the beauty of the world only to be pulled back into Trumps' festering stench of lies and arrogance.

As I look past Independence Day, I've come up with a new course of action. I'll keep abreast of the latest Trump news, but refrain from plunging down the rabbit hole of Trump's moral turpitude. Instead, I'll do something that would irritate the popular vote loser.

Continues here

Thanks to Stett Holbrook for his "Open Mic" column in the current issue of The Bohemian. He's expressed my own dilemma so beautifully, how to stay informed of what is happening in our nation, while also taking care not to ruin my own sense of well being in the process. I love the idea of helping myself feel better, by taking care of others in need -- the opposite of Trump.

I'd like to thank Stett (and all of us) for caring, for educating himself, being a responsible citizen --for expressing his insecurities, incredulity, dismay, frustration, anger -- and his humanity. Reaching out to others who are worse off, hurting more, is indeed, both good for them, for our country --and for our own spirits.

I would add, that mustering compassion and good will for those we so easily disdain --me, included --for Trump, his cabinet and support system, his devoted hoardes of followers ---is not only a worthy spiritual practice, but a wellspring of help for our own selves, and for the community of souls we are all connected to.

Last, just as an 'ugly' oozing sore can be regarded as part of an organism's intelligence for healing --or the flushing out of toxic elements --might our political woes be symptomatic of a national "healing crisis" of our body politic. Maybe all this horrible, disgusting, creepy, flabberghasting garbage excuse for a governing regime is also a sign that Things Are Changing for the Better, according to greater Laws.

Than I just have to fund my trust, and be part of the healing.

Namaste, Marcia
    Love Arts Foundation
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: