Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Jennifer Novascone

Does Governing by CITY CHARTER Take Away the Power of the People?

Hello everyone,

How many of you would rather have "General State Law" govern a city council verses a "City Charter"?
    I think the FIRST STEP to taking back control of our local city government(s) is to vote out the city charter and replace with general law.

It looks as if general law would keep a better handle of the actions of a city council. Of special interest to me is finding ways to hold city officials accountable for their actions when they break a law by omission or any other means. Most important is for the citizens to have an avenue to lodge complaint against a city council or city official. Then if a city council is found to breach or break state general laws, we citizens likely have better recourse then with use of a loosely translated and toothless city charter. What I'd like to see are ways to enforce laws on behalf of us citizens so we don't have to sue our city council members into behaving ethically or abide by the state law constitution.

I'm unhappy with the Santa Rosa City Charter. There are no enforcement provisions for breach of ethics or charter violations (constitutional document). I suppose it will take a city wide vote to expel the city charter document and replace it with general law. A lot of work to collect signatures for a measure on the ballot. Any shortcuts? LOL

Link below is a good comparison chart of the difference in powers of general law vs. city charter.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Albuquerque4_-_General_Law_City_v_Charter_City.pdf
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Does Governing by CITY CHARTER Take Away the Power of the People?

It seems more and more that the power of the people is eroding, starting with city governments all the way up to the highest level of government in our country. Officials on all levels are not held accountable when they break a law by omission or direct action. Those who should be enforcing laws are being bought off or are breaking the very laws they should be enforcing.

Much of this is done out of the public's view, behind closed doors, except for those obvious actions of those we pay to "protect and serve", who gun down innocent people and animals and are caught by citizens on video. Even when the evidence is clearly presented, many times the offenders will not be punished, or if they are, it's a fraction of what it should be.

It seems that only when we're directly affected by a personal loss or injury to a loved one, or loss of a home, that we realize we've been victimized. Those left behind in the wake of this injustice, may take up the "cause for change" with protests, petitions, and votes. It may take a long time before change is actually implemented, and it will be fiercely fought by those who stand to lose financially.

Injustice is rampant in every area. Because people cry out "It isn't fair" doesn't change the way it is. Those who feel financially secure can't possibly relate to the plight of those who've lost everything, including their physical, mental or emotional health....and eventually their lives.

I appreciate all that you're doing, with your long hours, to inform the people in Sonoma County of the criminal actions that have been taking place in the Santa Rosa City Council for many, many years, and continue, supported by those who benefit. Unfortunately, those who aren't residents may not care enough to stand up to this. Even if they're affected by traffic, they won't relate it to the city council's decisions, and instead will put their energy into feeling angry with no recourse.

If this is to be ballot measure, supported by enough signatures, it will be extremely important that the marketing and promotion for this, presents a clear, potent picture of the dangers of unaccountability in city government, for all of us.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-15-2016 at 12:11 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Does Governing by CITY CHARTER Take Away the Power of the People?

Jennifer, I've posted this on my Facebook page and Rohnert Park Nextdoor, and hope someone who's on Santa Rosa Nextdoor will post it there, in addition to other Nextdoor sites throughout the county.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-15-2016 at 12:08 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by: