Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Tax Scam Alert!
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Tax Scam Alert!

Just got two calls this morning, supposedly from the IRS, saying that they were filing a lawsuit against me; I checked with my tax person, who said yeah, it's a scam....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    BethLinley

Re: Tax Scam Alert!

The IRS will not call you, they will send you a letter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Just got two calls this morning, supposedly from the IRS, saying that they were filing a lawsuit against me; I checked with my tax person, who said yeah, it's a scam....

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

I hope everyone knows that you can negotiate with the IRS if you can't afford payments on your tax debt. I did it several years ago with one phone call. They said "O.K., but let us know if your financial situation changes". A friend just did it last week, by visiting the local office. The IRS had been deducting payments from his meager social security funds. I told him that he could stop that, so he did. No more deductions!

I've also helped other people write detailed letters which outline their "assets" and "liabilities" asking for relief from account deductions. Many of these people didn't know they had a choice, and were afraid of the IRS. Imagine the feeling of having another $100-$200 more each month to buy food or shelter.

You CAN stop the "bleeding".

IRS scams are increasing, and especially targeted to seniors. One person I know had the "IRS" agent show up at his door, and accompanied him to his bank, where a large amount of money was turned over the the scammer.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BethLinley: View Post
    The IRS will not call you, they will send you a letter.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4

There are "handlers" training "refugees" in telemarketing various scams: 3 times I've been called about my generous government choosing me to receive a grant. 3 times I've been called by "Atlas scammers" who are not the "real" Atlas company authorized by PG&E to inspect homes and provide energy-efficient light bulbs, shower heads, insulation recommendations, etc. The real Atlas people are very well trained and know what they are supposed to say, they're not reading a script! They are also identified with clothing and ID cards etc. when they come to your home. They are happy to give their names on the phone, etc. I believe there are three schedulers and three techs working for the real Atlas.

I've seen "fishing" kinds of ads pop up on my Google ChromeBook... make money speaking English... If you can speak English, you can do this.... I'd be scared they'd be at my door to see what else they could get!

But, being a senior surrounded by close to 200 other seniors, I've come to real-ize the difficulty of being able to discern the bait-and-switch: Distract the senior with the idea of $$$$ then shift into slower/lower frequency and give required "fine print" then shift into "high gear" to anchor the idea of $$$$ and get senior's emotions heightened, then back into slower/lower, deep, deep, into the required trance state to get the senior on the phone to say yes... to anything.... then yes to receiving the grant from the government... good, that's good, now get your Social Security card and read the number for me so I can verify you are who I'm calling about the idea of $$$$... they have the script, they speak English, they're gonna give me money, what can go wrong???

So, tax scams and Atlas/PG&E scams any others out there we haven't been alerted to?
    Rev. BE

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allorrah Be: View Post
    ...So, tax scams and Atlas/PG&E scams any others out there we haven't been alerted to?
    Rev. BE
    Please only post non-internet scams that you have actually experienced (phone calls, etc)

10. TopTop #6

Yeah, I've gotten a couple of those calls, too on my voice mail number. Figured it had to be a scam---never have gotten a letter or anything from them--so just deleted them from my machine.

Glad to hear a tax person verified that. Lilith
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    geomancer

I got one of these awhile ago from an "IRS" agent with an Indian accent. I pretended to be a frightened older person and immediately pleaded to give him a [fake] credit card number. The guy got quite confused because I wasn't following the script. Kept it going for a bit, then called him a lying sack of shit. He got quite indignant at my foul language, so of course I upped it with f-bombs and the like. These Indian scammers are quite prudish and get very indignant when you swear at them. Fun to do if you have the time.

I also like to troll the "Microsoft" employees telling me I have a virus on my Windows machine and wanting to "help" me. One of them got so incensed at my swearing at him that he called me back twice to try to lecture me.

13. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

14. TopTop #8

That's a great response, Geomancer. If they ever reach me directly, I'll try fooling around with them, too.

I also get voicemails regularly from folks trying to help me make hundreds of dollars a day without doing any work. Can't even respond properly because you have to punch 3 or 5 or something and doing that on VM gets me into other stuff. Sigh.
    Lilith

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    I got one of these awhile ago from an "IRS" agent with an Indian accent....
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2016 at 03:09 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    spam1

New Scam: Windows 10 Re: Tax Scam Alert!

I also like to troll the "Microsoft" employees telling me I have a virus on my Windows machine and wanting to "help" me. One of them got so incensed at my swearing at him that he called me back twice to try to lecture me.
    Many people have been updated to Windows 10 without really knowing it, and so things like browsers and the start-up screens have changed. I got a spam call, again foreign accent, saying "can I be speaking with the person who uses the computer at your house?"; me: "uh, who is this", them "we are I-Fix, you computer has been calling us with error messaging. Are you the person who uses the computer?": me "let me call you back"; them "Click" (hung up). I don't know how many older people will fall for this; I guess some or they wouldn't do it.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    Ted Pole

Something else to be aware of is people filing a tax return using your name and SSN but with their address. This happened to me a few years ago, and it was a real pain in the tuchas to get it resolved with the IRS. I was told it is a pretty common scam, where thieves establish an alternative address in the hope of getting any refund you might be entitled to. You will find out if this has happened to you when you file your taxes, either electronically or by mail, and get a notice saying you've already filed your taxes.

Then, two years later, they did it with the state. Fortunately, in both cases there are protocols you follow to prove your address is the correct one and you've been a victim of fraud. Takes time, and it's annoying, but it can be fixed.

As for phone scams, like Geomancer says, if you have the time to kill, it's always amusing to engage in a bit of audio theatre with these a-holes. Most of them are working on commission, so wasting ten or fifteen minutes with no sale is a drag for them, and about as much "payback" as you're gonna get.

Try these scenarios:

1. Immediately become the doddering old person, who really, really wants to buy whatever they're selling. Your credit card or social security info is around here some where, can they hold on for a minute while you go get it? Come back every minute or so and remind them to hang on, it's around here somewhere, but you are very interested in purchasing their product. You have to keep stringing them along. Give them the wrong numbers on everything. If they say those are the wrong numbers, remember that you don't have your reading glasses on. Go look for them, because they're around here somewhere.

2. Keep asking them for details. Minute details. Repeat what they've said back to them, only wrong. Get frustrated, and then ask them to explain it to your spouse/parent/legal guardian/other (you, doing another voice).

3. Ask them what they're wearing. If they won't say, tell them what you're wearing. But first, ask them to hold on while you get a cigarette.

Whatever you do, always give them false info. Wrong numbers, wrong name, everything wrong.

The point is to be creative and have fun, knowing you've flipped the script and now, they're the victim. You always wondered when those acting classes you took at the junior college would ever come in handy.

Record your work and put it on YouTube! Swap 'em with your pals.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #11
    Dorothy Friberg

I got the laugh of the day from this one. Thanks!

I got one of these awhile ago from an "IRS" agent with an Indian accent. I pretended to be a frightened older person and immediately pleaded to give him a [fake] credit card number. The guy got quite confused because I wasn't following the script. Kept it going for a bit, then called him a lying sack of shit. He got quite indignant at my foul language, so of course I upped it with f-bombs and the like. These Indian scammers are quite prudish and get very indignant when you swear at them. Fun to do if you have the time.

21. TopTop #12

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    ...As for phone scams, like Geomancer says, if you have the time to kill, it's always amusing to engage in a bit of audio theatre with these a-holes. ...
    I don't have the time to spend with them, and I don't want to be mean. I am sorry they have to work at such a shitty job.

My routine is:
    Solicitor: Hello is this Larry
    Me: Uh, yes it is.
    Solicitor: How are you doing today?
    Me: I'm fine, how are you?
    Solicitor: Usually taken aback that I ask. Oh, I'm fine.
    Me: Oh good, well thanks for checking in. Bye. CLICK

Tofu Larry
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 02:50 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #13
    gypsey

I enjoyed this response, even though my response would be to tell them I know for a fact the IRS never makes phone collection calls and that I will report them to the authorities. Of course, I've never received such a call because I am on the National Do Not Call Register that blocks all telemarketers including these. It's free...try it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tofu Larry: View Post
    I don't have the time to spend with them, and I don't want to be mean. I am sorry they have to work at such a shitty job.

My routine is:
    Solicitor: Hello is this Larry
    Me: Uh, yes it is.
    Solicitor: How are you doing today?
    Me: I'm fine, how are you?
    Solicitor: Usually taken aback that I ask. Oh, I'm fine.
    Me: Oh good, well thanks for checking in. Bye. CLICK

Tofu Larry

24. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    ...I know for a fact the IRS never makes phone collection calls ....
    My friend got a call from the IRS that initiated an audit. They just left a message which she did not return because of concern for its validity. The IRS followed up with a letter. So my advice would be the same, don't speak to them on the phone, even if they are the real IRS, wait for the letter, should it prove to be real.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #15
    kpage9

T Larry 's response is more up my alley. I have little patience though with the obviously-Indian ones who say "My name is Chip Jackson (or some other SO WHITE name)"; how are you today?" and so I often just state the obvious: "Your name is not Chip Jackson and you truly do not care how I am today--but I do wish you better luck on your next call"

kathy
    Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2016 at 01:33 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: