Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    starseed

Supplementing Your First-Aid Kits and Self-Help Skills

Last April amidst the heavy rains, about 30 people braved the elements to attended a free class at Rosemary's Garden, where I used to work in the early '90's as a staff herbalist. I am Phyllis Bala and have missed my daily contact with West County folks over the years. I now live in Santa Rosa, while my heart remains deeply rooted in Sebastopol. It was really great to see so many familiar faces return to Rosemary's Garden for the class! I really appreciated your enthusiasm and interest and am grateful to Lena for all of her dedication to the community in offering free classes and to Jen and the staff at Rosemary's garden for their hard work and support.

As we head into this coming winter, I look forward to keeping my connection to the people of West County "alive and well". So I invite feedback, checking the community pulse to see if people are interested in more free classes to be held within the West County area.

I am curious to know if anyone would be interested in attending a 2 hour class to learn how to prepare an emergency herbal medicine kit for home use, that is meant to round out a standard first-aid kit. Items would be used for external and/or internal application to address anti-viral, anti-bacterial prevention and support, wound care, infections, acute stress and more.

A kit would contain a 2-4 week supply of herbs, tinctures, oils and minimal essential supplements. You would learn how to apply commonly used kitchen ingredients to augment your first aid supplies. I have put these items to good use in wilderness health and first aid situations and couldn't imagine doing without them in a community crisis. If there is enough interest, classes could be arranged on a weekly or bi-monthly basis as a meeting place permits, through the month of November.

Facilitating health education and emergency preparedness is important to me, as I feel "it is the hour" to be networking, calling people together so our communities can be better informed and equipped to help both ourselves and others, in the event we should experience an interruption of medical services even for a few days. A little preparation to support our collective health and well-being can go a long way in a time of great need.

Does anyone know of a community meeting place, for a free event in Sebastopol that woud accomodate a small (15-30) group? Or would someone be interested in hosting a class for your own small group or organization?
    Would you be willing to make a donation to off-set transportation and printed materials cost, in reciprocity for this community service?

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

In celebration of community strength and good health,
    Phyllis
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sequoianorcal

Re: Supplementing Your First-Aid Kits and Self-Help Skills

I would definitely be interested in the class. I've taken many classes out at CSHS, but think this would be a great chunk of knowledge to add to what I already have, as well as a good review in some ways. I hope you would be able to offer it on a Saturday at some point so I could attend.

Unfortunately, I do not have a place to offer the class, nor do I have financial help to offer (I'm a poor college student). Have you thought of possibly approaching the folks at the Harmony Festival headquarters to see if they might be willing to let you use their space? Just a thought.

I will see if anyone I know has any help to offer.

Good luck!

3. TopTop #3
    wildflower

I would be interested in hosting a class in Graton after the holiday madness!

Best
    wildflower

Quote Posted in reply to the post by starseed:
    Last April amidst the heavy rains, about 30 people braved the elements to attended a free class at Rosemary's Garden, where I used to work in the early '90's as a staff herbalist. I am Phyllis Bala and have missed my daily contact with West County folks over the years. I now live in Santa Rosa, while my heart remains deeply rooted in Sebastopol. It was really great to see so many familiar faces return to Rosemary's Garden for the class! I really appreciated your enthusiasm and interest and am grateful to Lena for all of her dedication to the community in offering free classes and to Jen and the staff at Rosemary's garden for their hard work and support.

As we head into this coming winter, I look forward to keeping my connection to the people of West County "alive and well". So I invite feedback, checking the community pulse to see if people are interested in more free classes to be held within the West County area.

I am curious to know if anyone would be interested in attending a 2 hour class to learn how to prepare an emergency herbal medicine kit for home use, that is meant to round out a standard first-aid kit. Items would be used for external and/or internal application to address anti-viral, anti-bacterial prevention and support, wound care, infections, acute stress and more.

A kit would contain a 2-4 week supply of herbs, tinctures, oils and minimal essential supplements. You would learn how to apply commonly used kitchen ingredients to augment your first aid supplies. I have put these items to good use in wilderness health and first aid situations and couldn't imagine doing without them in a community crisis. If there is enough interest, classes could be arranged on a weekly or bi-monthly basis as a meeting place permits, through the month of November.

Facilitating health education and emergency preparedness is important to me, as I feel "it is the hour" to be networking, calling people together so our communities can be better informed and equipped to help both ourselves and others, in the event we should experience an interruption of medical services even for a few days. A little preparation to support our collective health and well-being can go a long way in a time of great need.

Does anyone know of a community meeting place, for a free event in Sebastopol that woud accomodate a small (15-30) group? Or would someone be interested in hosting a class for your own small group or organization?
    Would you be willing to make a donation to off-set transportation and printed materials cost, in reciprocity for this community service?

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

In celebration of community strength and good health,
    Phyllis
    Last edited by wildflower; 12-17-2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: misspelling

4. TopTop #4
    debbus

I just spoke to a friend of mine in Seattle who just "weathered the storm" up there. 95 mile per hour winds; live electrical wires in the road - the highest winds recorded! All of the stores in Woodinville, Washington (where she lives) were closed for 2 days due to no power. She said people were utterly lost in knowing what to do about simple basics. I am very interested in helping you create/attending your workshop. We need to be more proactive and not depend on others or the system to take care of us. That is so evident with Katrina as well as our failing health care system.
    Regards,
    Deb