Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Be Informed about FOOD SAFETY issues - Serious bacterial illness in the news

Sometimes our stomach distress isn't from the flu, but from something we ate. Chipotle restaurants are reeling from recent problems affected over 100 or more people. They have closed one restaurant down, and are stepping up food safety in all others.

Once in awhile I see news of a food recall, like recent items from Trader Joe's. (Ginger Beer) but since I don't watch the news I'm mostly unaware of these things. I do subscribe to pet food recalls, and there have been several just in the past week. I haven't posted them because of work overload, and dealing with repetitive motion injury.

Although I enjoy pot lucks as much as anyone, the reality is that we don't know how this food was prepared. Several months ago I was sick for three days as a result of eating at a potluck. Bacteria is created when hot foods are allowed to sit at room temperature for a couple of hours. Some bacteria is on produce that hasn't been washed. Pot lucks are a two sided coin, fun and risky.

But I recently came across a website that I think has value in keeping us up to date on food borne illness and
    recalls: https://www.foodsafetynews.com/
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-17-2015 at 09:55 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: Be Informed about FOOD SAFETY issues - Serious bacterial illness in the news

Go to the source, skip the fear mongering.
    https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Be Informed about FOOD SAFETY issues - Serious bacterial illness in the news

Sorry, but I don't trust the FDA anymore than I trust the American Red Cross. I could site some reasons, but I don't want to waste my time. Some people already know about the dark underbelly of the FDA, and other government organizations that they don't trust to monitor our (and our pet's) safety. But if you do, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone who is enamored with our government. Just passing on information as I get it.

Call it (or me) what you want, and continue to place your trust in the government. Many people do, so you're in good company. Let's hear from members who agree that trusting the government to take care of them is a beneficial policy.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Go to the source, skip the fear mongering.
    https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    ChefJayTay

I don't even know how to respond to this.
    If you're being recalled, the FDA, USDA, or County Health is suggesting you do it. Not the other way around.

BTW... I consider the FDA hugely shackled from properly operating, and our county health department to be a joke. But keep forming opinions for me.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-18-2015 at 12:30 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    carpet crawler

I'm confused. You don't trust the FDA, and it sounds like you don't trust other governmental organizations. So instead you trust Food Safety News, who gets its information from... hmmm.

FSN current list of recall items under their "Food Recalls" tab:
    - Trader Joe's Ginger Brew (listed on FDA site as well)
    - Stella and Chewy's pet food products (listed on FDA site as well)
    - Bravo Pet foods (listed on FDA site as well) (both cite Colorado Dept of Agriculture testing)
    - Korean oysters in Hawaii (cites Hawaii State Department of Health)
    - Local Michigan products (cites Michigan State Department of Agriculture)
    - JEM nut butters (listed on FDA site as well) (both cite CDC testing)

The FSN site has its own prominent "Government Newswire" box on the right, linked to the FDA, the CDC, the USDA.

So I might conclude that without the testing and reporting of the FDA, CDC, and numerous other governmental agencies, that the Food Safety News site might be a bit... empty.

It's fine to be skeptical of government, it's another thing to declare that it should be ignored in favor of other web-scraping sites, that derive their information directly from the government. So count me among the individuals who do trust the government. Not completely, that's for sure; but without their agencies and testing programs and such, you would be in a world of hurt, both because there would be far less useful information about issues such as food or other product safety, and also because the firms that do business out there would have far less incentive to do their own testing and/or recalls, if nobody but individuals are watching them.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post

Sorry, but I don't trust the FDA anymore than I trust the American Red Cross...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-18-2015 at 12:31 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    CSummer

If it doesn't get you now, it may 10-20 years from now. I'm very concerned about the amount of chemicals - especially pesticides and herbicides (glyphosate/Roundup is considered a likely carcinogen and is used heavily on US crops) - on non-organic produce. I avoid it as much as possible.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-18-2015 at 12:32 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    ChefJayTay

Ok... I don't get it I guess. What does this have to do with public recalls?
    You may dislike what the FDA/UDSA are allowing in terms of production, it's another thing to completely disregard the organizations in charge of public food safety.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    If it doesn't get you now, it may 10-20 years from now. I'm very concerned about the amount of chemicals - especially pesticides and herbicides (glyphosate/Roundup is considered a likely carcinogen and is used heavily on US crops) - on non-organic produce. I avoid it as much as possible.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    Shandi

It would seem that "production" and "food safety" are somehow linked, although it may be just speculation on my part.

Ok... I don't get it I guess. What does this have to do with public recalls?
    You may dislike what the FDA/UDSA are allowing in terms of production, it's another to completely disregard the organizations in charge of public food safety.

15. TopTop #9
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    It would seem that "production" and "food safety" are somehow linked, although it may be just speculation on my part.
    Sigh. Yes.
    Do you exist just to troll people? Seriously.
    This is a thread on recalls. viruses & food borne bacteria. Not GMOs and GRAS.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #10
    Shandi

Aw, I'm busted! I'm just a simple troll, as anyone who's read my posts during the last 10 years can attest. Those who show gratitude for my posts must be "troll followers". Ya think?

Sigh. Yes.
    Do you exist just to troll people? Seriously.
    This is a thread on recalls. viruses & food borne bacteria. Not GMOs and GRAS.