Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Kevind

share load of organic compost

Last time I took my truck to Grab and Grow for organic mulch, I paid for half a cubic yard, but had to bag it myself. It took about 24 bags. I'd like to split a new load with someone; I don't need a full half yard.I have the truck. We can go and bag it together and I'll drop you off with your bags wherever.

(Grab and Grow won't let you bag up less than half a yard.)
    Kevin
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    nicofrog

Re: share load of organic compost

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kevind: View Post
    Last time I took my truck to Grab and Grow for organic mulch, I paid for half a cubic yard, but had to bag it myself. It took about 24 bags. I'd like to split a new load with someone; I don't need a full half yard.I have the truck. We can go and bag it together and I'll drop you off with your bags wherever.

(Grab and Grow won't let you bag up less than half a yard.)
    Funny I did almost the same in 2011 the compost we got was great, 2012 same mix just did not work well, seemed to repel water, (exactly the opposite of what you want from compost) and things grew lamely, even though they said add no fert. $17 a yard was too cheap to resist..! wow

I suspect they added some redwood bark waste to the mix, not a good growing medium. Hope it's better this year!
    Bring a jug of water and pour it on it, and see if it just beads up and runs off..

Oh also Mulch is Mulch,compost is compost.there IS a difference unfinished compost makes ok mulch, but not visa versa.

I still sell worm compost for 10 a bucket it helps immensely...soon I will donate it all to Ceres project and you can go buy it there..!!

Nico
    Last edited by Barry; 01-02-2016 at 03:44 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    spam1

Re: share load of organic compost

About 10 years ago I switched to Sonoma Compost Hi-Test and I found I got much, much better results than what I used from Grab-N-Grow (who I used for a few years). The stuff I got from GnG looked like it might have some red lava rock or something in it.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement high-nitrogen compost such as the Sonoma Compost Hi-Test (they use chicken feathers to raise the nitrogen)? I never liked the mallard mix as it smelled a bit more. I've a big, organic garden and have trouble getting enough nitrogen to grow corn or pumpkins well, unless I amend like crazy.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-03-2016 at 11:06 AM.