Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    ceejay

Urgent need for senior chow/akita mix

Rusty has been following a homeless man through his travels for fourteen years. He is Nicely behaved and gentle, he doesn't appear to have any kind of aggression and is quite sweet. He was given up to myself and friends to save from euthanization, which was scheduled for last Tuesday.

His owner can no longer cope with the needs of this senior dog. He has a urinary issue in which he begins to urinate and then walks as he is dribbling, I think this has been part of his upbringing, to have to urinate while being tugged along. so this is an issue that needs to be attended to and requires him to be watched and retrained. He is nice and furry like a chow and has blue spots on his tongue.

His coat is nice and he does not have any apparent skin, coat or health issues. He is not recommended for homes with other male dogs as he is not neutered and is probably too old to have done now. Please share this post with friends and help us find a forever home for Rusty...he is tired and he just wants to rest now.
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand   Expand   Expand  

Last edited by ceejay; 10-17-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ceejay

Re: Urgent need for senior chow/akita mix

RUSTY UPDATE
    Rusty was seen by a local vet today. He received a clean bill of health with exception of a bacterial ear infection....quite painful, yet easily treated with a daily dose of antibiotic. Rusty was a good boy except when his painful ear was handled. He snapped and was subsequently soft muzzled for the remainder of the ear exam and culture. He was easily handled and was calm as soon as his ear was left alone. he calmly allowed the vet complete his examination. He has a sensitive right hip, but he can break a run after his favorite toy.He wants to play, and he wants to be able to rest when he's tired. He is unassuming and sooo easygoing. But don't try hurt him in any way! So he has his limits and would not be recommended for a house with small children. I get a sense that if you give him good attention you are his friend.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ceejay: View Post
    Rusty has been following a homeless man through his travels for fourteen years...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-18-2015 at 10:26 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Stargazer

Thank you for taking Rusty to a vet. I do hope that his health issues will be followed closely. I also hope that his diet is optimal. When an animal is older they generally are harder to find proper homes for, especially when they have health issues, i.e. urine leaking out of them.

There are times when an animal needs to go to a chiropractor or at the least be massaged. Rusty needs to be fed well and get some exercise. It sounds like he could have some pinched nerves and loss of muscle control causing this urine leakage if an infection has not been detected. I suggest getting all of his muscles stronger. He needs some meat to strengthen his muscles and some type of multivitamin. Please check out a great vitamin/mineral supplement. The website is: dinovite.com

Dogs are carnivores. (meat eaters) They are not vegetarians and do not do well on just dry food alone. They need the oils and fat from the meat protein for their overall health, strength and longeviety.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-18-2015 at 10:28 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    ceejay

I would like to express the urgency of Rusty's situation, he is being housed at Sinkyone Sanctuary temporarily. PLease if anyone knows anyone who could take sweet Rusty....let us know! We will transport if need be.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ceejay: View Post
    Rusty has been following a homeless man through his travels for fourteen years...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-23-2015 at 11:59 AM.