Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthunter

How Six Rebel Psychologists Fought A Decade-Long War On Torture — And Won

Keep in mind that our government is now criticized around the world for engaging in torture ... and that that reality has not been completed defeated,, but we're gaining on it ...

I take my hat off to these brave professionals who are challenging this ugly reality ... also included in this list should be Dr. Ben Colodzin in the Bay Area who is risking all to expose the covert torture of dissidents in our country ... I had dinner with him and he's a true hero ...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/the-dissidents
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: How Six Rebel Psychologists Fought A Decade-Long War On Torture — And Won

I was summoned to Chile--where I lived when the fascists took over-- to testify in the torture and execution of one of my friends, Frank Teruggi. One of the things that I most remember is stories of the physicians who assisted the military to torture someone just before they were to die, and then back off for a while, so they could be tortured later. One of our hosts was missing part of his jaw, because of the dentist that tortured him. Unfortunately, the US has been breaking the Geneva Accords by water-boarding and other forms of torture. Shame on the psychologists and all who assist in these barbaric practices. The main goal of torture is not to get information, but to intimate an entire population.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    Keep in mind that our government is now criticized around the world for engaging in torture ... and that that reality has not been completed defeated,, but we're gaining on it ...

I take my hat off to these brave professionals who are challenging this ugly reality ... also included in this list should be Dr. Ben Colodzin in the Bay Area who is risking all to expose the covert torture of dissidents in our country ... I had dinner with him and he's a true hero ...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/the-dissidents

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    arthunter

Thank you Shepherd, ... you've had some amazing experiences ...

Unfortunately, so have I and I am now writing a book about the widespread torture that I see on our planet ... so unnecessary and so evil ... and yes, those who follow the order to torture another human being are as guilty as those who give the orders ...

May our world eliminate these awful practices and those who provoke them ....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-13-2015 at 01:17 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Glia

Thank you for sharing this horrifying experience. Hoping that in the last sentence you meant to say "intimidate"

Accidental Fifty Shades of Grey reference aside, you are right on the money with the observation about the true purpose of torture and various other techniques used by totalitarian regimes. Naomi Wolf wrote about this formula of intimidation in her 2007 book Fascist America in Ten Easy Steps. It is just as pertinent now as it was when it was written.

It has been said that the price of democracy is eternal vigilance. In that spirit, please take a few minutes to read this condensed version of the book (also written by Naomi Wolf) printed in The Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...24/usa.comment

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...The main goal of torture is not to get information, but to intimate an entire population.

8. Gratitude expressed by: