Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    350kitty

No on TPP - Trans-Pacific Partnership - Call Your Rep Now!

Name:  No on TPP - FastTrackRally.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  75.9 KB

The US House of Representatives is nearing a vote on whether to fast track the Trans-Pacific Partnership --
    a trade deal that would allow multinational fossil fuel corporations to sue governments that take action on climate change.

To paraphrase MoveOn, TPP is a job-killing corporate giveaway and environmental and labor protection disaster. WE CAN STILL STOP THIS in the House of Representatives but we need to act now! Have you asked your Rep. to vote NO on fast track?

Follow this Sierra Club link or call 1-888-454-0483 now to take a stand! --> sc.org/swi7o

Name:  No on TPP - 350.org.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  50.5 KB

Last edited by 350kitty; 06-09-2015 at 02:25 AM. Reason: add 2nd photo
    *** 350ppm *** 350ppm *** Food as Climate Action: Do it now - For everyone you love! *** 350ppm *** 350ppm ***
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Eller

Re: No on TPP - Trans-Pacific Partnership - Call Your Rep Now!

Thanks, 350kitty, for this important reminder. Apparently the House is voting tomorrow (Friday).

On Tuesday I stood with 200 others in front of Rep. Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco office to urge her to vote NO on FAST TRACK and the TPP. Today I was happy to hear (a rumor) that she'll be voting against it. A staff member at Rep. Jared Huffman's DC office assured me the congressman is solidly opposed to the treaty. I understand that Rep. Mike Thompson is also opposed.

HOWEVER, there are several Dems that will be supporting the treaty and need to be contacted immediately.

Please, please take a few moments to call one of these representatives and urge a NO VOTE ON FAST TRACK and the TPP.

(BTW--I stomped for Rep. Ami Bera in 2012 when he eeked out a narrow win over Dan Lungren. I was floored when I saw his name on the YES list. His DC staff member got an earful when I called this morning.)

I believe this treaty is a disaster for many reasons, but the SCARIEST for me is the expansion of the investor state dispute settlement (ISDS). According to a HuffPo article ..."thousands of foreign companies would gain the right to opt-out of the public court system and instead to use private, ad hoc arbitral tribunals to challenge any number of US laws that the companies argue harms their profitability." Rulings by these RIGGED tribunals could leave taxpayers on the hook for millions--even billions--of dollars in "future lost earnings".https://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-k...b_7562084.html

More more info, check out this report featured today on Democracy Now https://www.democracynow.org/2015/6/11/backlash_against_tpp_grows_as_leaked

From what I can tell, the ISDS threatens our sovereignty and the ability to protect our health and environment. The TPP MUST BE STOPPED!

Name:  No on TPP - 350.org.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  50.5 KB

Last edited by Eller; 06-11-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: one link didn't work
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email