Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Scott McKeown

Do Bohemian Club retreat privte jets count against Sonoma County's carbon emission goals?

I live in West County under the flight path of the Sonoma County airport. Normally on average I notice about one or two flights coming or going low overhead into or out of the airport per day. Last week for a few days, however, it seemed for long stretches that there was a jet flying overhead every 10 or 15 minutes or so. I was wondering what was going on until I realized it was no doubt private jets coming in for the annual Bohemian Grove retreat that was happening.

It got me wondering — since the Bohemian Grove is located in Sonoma County, does all that carbon emission count against Sonoma County’s carbon emission goals?

According to a New York Times article, traveling by private jet can spew 130 times that of flying commercial. Doing some brief Google research I learned about the fuel consumption of several popular private jets. The Gulfstream 400, for instance, burns 800 gallons of fuel per hour and emits 8,785 pounds of carbon dioxide per hour. So a six hour flight from New York to Sonoma, then another six hours back, would burn, if these figures are in the ballpark, 9,600 gallons of fuel and spew 105,420 pounds of carbon into the atmosphere just so one Bohemian Club .1% sociopathic asshole doesn’t have to suffer the inconvenience of flying first class into SFO and then limopooling. Multiply that by 40 or so times (I don’t know the exact number of private jets for the retreat) and it adds up to an unbelievably obscene display of greed and shitting on the environment. It might be more than the total annual carbon emissions of one small African nation.

No amount of supposed “carbon offset”, if it is even done, could make up for this. And do these Bohemian Club pricks even care?

I think about how our community works hard to limit emissions and how so many people I know here are climate heroes and doing so much to lower their footprint, all erased in only one week by these consumption pigs. (Actually, that’s an insult to pigs who don’t f-up our atmosphere as these sociopaths do.)

Is this tolerable?

Scott
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    meherc
    Supporting member

Re: Do Bohemian Club retreat privte jets count against Sonoma County's carbon emission goa

This is not quite on the mark with your concern but I read in the Bohemian about 2 weeks ago how they're winding down the protests at the Grove but these two brave souls in their group managed to infiltrate the encampment. Geez, that's like Pinkie and the Brain. I worked there, so did my kids, saw everything, eavesdropped, gave the teens there a talk about why closed men's club are not letting women have equal access to power, etc.

What the guys seem to enjoy doing most was peeing on trees (don't ask me what fun that is). One guy turned around as I was walking by to show me his penis. I said,"Oh, you poor thing." But I am glad he didn't do it to one of the young girls. If you want to infiltrate like Boris and Natasha, they will hire anyone and they're hiring now. (PS. Don't tell anyone you know me!)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Scott McKeown: View Post
    ...I was wondering what was going on until I realized it was no doubt private jets coming in for the annual Bohemian Grove retreat that was happening....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email