Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthunter

Community Meeting with Police

I want to thank those who organized the community forum with the Sebastopol police and the Sonoma County Sherriff's Dept. last night at the Sebastopol Grange. Thank you to those officers who attended thus agreeing to answer aggressive questioning and to face possible criticism. Your availability and accountability was greatly appreciated. Thank you to the community for making this a lively and well-attended meeting. I was happy to be there and delighted to contribute. It was a constructive meeting and I only wish that it was longer.

Topics discussed included, police accountability, the use of firearms, community involvement, complaints, police stress, protocol and structure, and corruption. I'm sure that I'm leaving out something but this is some of it ...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Community Meeting with Police

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    I want to thank those who organized the community forum with the Sebastopol police and the Sonoma County Sherriff's Dept. last night at the Sebastopol Grange. Thank you to those officers who attended thus agreeing to answer aggressive questioning and to face possible criticism. Your availability and accountability was greatly appreciated. Thank you to the community for making this a lively and well-attended meeting. I was happy to be there and delighted to contribute. It was a constructive meeting and I only wish that it was longer.

Topics discussed included, police accountability, the use of firearms, community involvement, complaints, police stress, protocol and structure, and corruption. I'm sure that I'm leaving out something but this is some of it ...
    I missed advanced notice of this meeting, but reached out to Chief Weaver for his comments and he replied with:

Hi, Barry -

Thanks for checking in.

I would tell you the meeting was well attending with about sixty folks in attendance beyond the staff from the County of Sonoma, the Sheriff Office, and the Sebastopol Police Department.

We had five folks there; Captain James Conner, Sergeant Nick Belliveau, Officer Charlie Wong, Dispatcher Denise Stinson and me. The Sheriff's Office had seven folks in attendance, including the Sheriff and Assistant Sheriff.
    Everyone self-divided into seven groups, each with a police and/or sheriff employee and a facilitator. The groups spent the evening listening to each other, sharing stories and concerns, and asking questions. To my eyes, it was very positive.

There were many positive comments made about the Sebastopol Police Department. The only negative comment I heard about our Department was the belief that we ticket too many people.

I feel the event was very positive.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-31-2014 at 04:08 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    heresbruce

Thank you Barry, and also Chief Weaver. I did not see any notice of this meeting and missed it, but i am glad the community had a chance to directly talk with members of law enforcement. I frequently an appalled at the level of ignorance and vitriol I see in the remarks of people on this site. There should almost always be room for discussion as well as disagreement, and room for dialogue. That is how we learn and grow. Some folks on this site aggressively attack in very disrespectful tones any ideas or positions they do not personally embrace. Pathetic... lighten up, people, and open you hearts and minds... Bruce in Occidental

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I missed advanced notice of this meeting, but reached out to Chief Weaver for his comments and he replied with:
    Hi, Barry -
    Thanks for checking in. I would tell you the meeting was well attending with about sixty folks in attendance beyond the staff from the County of Sonoma, the Sheriff Office, and the Sebastopol Police Department. We had five folks there; Captain James Conner, Sergeant Nick Belliveau, Officer Charlie Wong, Dispatcher Denise Stinson and me. The Sheriff's Office had seven folks in attendance, including the Sheriff and Assistant Sheriff. Everyone self-divided into seven groups, each with a police and/or sheriff employee and a facilitator. The groups spent the evening listening to each other, sharing stories and concerns, and asking questions. To my eyes, it was very positive. There were many positive comments made about the Sebastopol Police Department. The only negative comment I heard about our Department was the belief that we ticket too many people. I feel the event was very positive.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    rossmen

and then again... perhaps this meeting was not well noticed because they didn't want people like me to be there. having recently challenged weaver to public discussion (on wacco), it might be nice to reach out to this board. yes i have spoken to weaver directly, and gone on a ride along, and spoken to the council and individual members. and i know i am spoken about as a community member critical of police by perhaps the chief himself. i know he reads wacco and will respond when barry requests. perhaps i am a bit too ignorant and vitrolic?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by heresbruce: View Post
    Thank you Barry, and also Chief Weaver. I did not see any notice of this meeting and missed it, but i am glad the community had a chance to directly talk with members of law enforcement. I frequently an appalled at the level of ignorance and vitriol I see in the remarks of people on this site. There should almost always be room for discussion as well as disagreement, and room for dialogue. That is how we learn and grow. Some folks on this site aggressively attack in very disrespectful tones any ideas or positions they do not personally embrace. Pathetic... lighten up, people, and open you hearts and minds... Bruce in Occidental

8. TopTop #5
    arthunter

I heard about this meeting on the radio … I then tried to find out more on the internet and it was difficult … I doubt that this lack of information was by design, but the organizers do need some feedback about this so that they can do a better job of publicizing it next time ...

https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/_templat...?id=2147494626

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    and then again... perhaps this meeting was not well noticed because they didn't want people like me to be there. having recently challenged weaver to public discussion (on wacco), it might be nice to reach out to this board. yes i have spoken to weaver directly, and gone on a ride along, and spoken to the council and individual members. and i know i am spoken about as a community member critical of police by perhaps the chief himself. i know he reads wacco and will respond when barry requests. perhaps i am a bit too ignorant and vitrolic?

9. TopTop #6
    rossmen

let me be clear. i experience weaver as a coward when it comes to communicating with me in a less than completely private setting. i have been there, done that, and all he does is talk. yes i am a polite listener, but i want more, so i need a witness. i have done my due diligence, risky when dealing with absolute authority, and trust that weaver might have the capacity to listen without punishing me, as he has assured me. but he turns me down. he has no bragging rights for a public forum in my book. glad you heard about on the radio, who organized it?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    I heard about this meeting on the radio … I then tried to find out more on the internet and it was difficult … I doubt that this lack of information was by design, but the organizers do need some feedback about this so that they can do a better job of publicizing it next time ...

https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/_templat...?id=2147494626