Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Earthquake! How was it for you?

I guess it was time for our Mama to shake it out some more. I'm glad it was just a little bit. But this one was close to home! (4.4 centered near Glen Ellen)

On one hand its good to let out a little stress, on the other hand, small earthquakes can sometime lead to bigger ones...:eek:

Strangely enough I was on the computer at the time, showing a good friend how to cut and paste (one of my favorite things to do! Let me know if you don't know how - Don't worry, I won't tell anybody! ) Anyway I pushed her off my lap and shoved her out of the house. I guess with all the disasters recently, this one rattled me more than most of them.

So how was it for you? Where were you? What did you do? Are you ready for the big one?
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2006 at 11:09 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Katy

Re: Earthquake! How was it for you?

I was on a hike near Benette Valley/Anadale Park, about 1,000 feet up, and we didn't feel anything. We heard some sort of boom noise for a second, but I'm pretty sure it was at about 8:15-8:20, not at 8:08, when the Earthquake happened, although I could be wrong.

3. TopTop #3
    sharingwisdom

One of my friends was telling me, at 6:15 PM tonight, that she felt an earthquake was eminent, soon to happen. She looked out my window and said "Look at the sky." I just thought it looked like a beautiful summer evening. She asked what I thought of the possibility of a quake coming soon, and I answered, "of course earthquakes are coming...at some point."

I didn't realize the point would be in two hours from that conversation. I actually made a dive for the side of my sofa. Now that may sound strange, but a few years ago an article went around, online, saying that the safest place to be, besides outside, is along the side a sofa or bed as there is an area of protection.

Doug Copp, a the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of The American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team, wrote an article back in 2000 "Tips on Earthquake Survival" https://www.bytesforall.org/8th/tips.htm When buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the "triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. If an earthquake happens while you are watching television (or on the computer), and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, bed or large chair.

My friend feels a larger earthquake is coming soon. Now don't panic...no need to feed fear. Just remember that life is changing, and August is a big transition month on many levels. Read the article. And change your beliefs that cleansing has to be violent or destructive, or to heal, things have to get worse before it to get better. There are larger awarenesses to be gleened from natural changes. Judy (www.thetahealingintuitive.com)
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2006 at 11:11 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Arisa Victor

Hi Barry - I was in Novato. There was one big shake and seveal tremors. It was exciting! I believe Mother Earth gives us little shakes so she can let off steam. "The Big One" is not a certainty, no matter what the experts say. If we are thankful for the small "quakers" and keep a serene attitude, I believe we can create a peaceful future. After all, what we think about, we energize.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2006 at 11:09 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    helenscott08

I was just putting the leash on my dog for her evening walk. The radio was on to KGO, and the host suddenly said OH, OH, I THINK WE HAVE AN EARTHQUAKE.. after which he said YES, WE HAD AN EARTHQUAKE.

But I did not feel anything more than a slight dizziness for about 30 seconds. And I live in a mobile home in Santa Rosa.

6. TopTop #6
    Peter Schurch

Hi all,

I was right on top of the fault zone last night on a hike with LandPaths. We didn't feel anything. The cows startled at 8:08 though. Generally rocky areas like the hills of Sebastopol get much less shaking than the softer soils like the Santa Rosa Plain.

The Rodgers Creek Fault is a major active fault, sister to the San Andreas and a serious hazard for Santa Rosa. It hasn't had a big slip in several hundred years.

I can send you a fault map through Santa Rosa in an attachment if you email me directly.

Cheers!
    Peter Schurch
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2006 at 10:59 PM.

7. TopTop #7
    jennflip70

This was my 7 year olds first quake. Scared her, but she got in the doorway quickly. I am glad that they teach that in schools as well as at home. Also we had no damage, but we shook pretty good. We are near Calistoga road and Highway 12, upstairs even. Nothing fell, nothing dropped, but this is not over. Just be prepared! If it happens again and the power goes out immeditately fill your bathtub with water in case you do not have any set aside.

Blessings to all
    Jenn
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2006 at 11:02 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    Dixon

I was in my home in SW Santa Rosa, preparing or eating some dinner, and didn't feel a thing.

The last time I felt an earthquake was, what...about 3 years ago when we had a substantial one? I was with my then-girlfriend Sandra on her couch in Santa Rosa when the shaking started, strong enough to be alarming. Sandra screamed "Dixon!", like she wanted me to handle the situation or something! Ha ha! I wish I'd had the presence of mind to jump up and command the quake to stop. By the time the words got out of my mouth, the quake would have halted and Sandra would have been real impressed. And I could probably have made a career as a guru out of such a miracle! Ah, but I'm too honest to be a $ucce$$ful guru, although I do accept sacrificial (non)virgins!

Dixon

9. TopTop #9
    Sabrina

I was at Wednesday Night Market in Santa Rosa with my daughter, and niether of us felt it nor noticed anyone else experience comotion or shock at whatever moment it took place. It could be we didn't notice other people feeling it because at one point near the time when it may have hit we were standing in a parking lot behind Barnes and Nobles / Starbucks eating some food by our car, but we didn't notice anything (you'd think the car would shake and knock my plate off or something!). Then we walked back to the crowded 4th street where all the venders are and someone commented what a nice night it was if he hadn't been so shaken up by the quake. I said " a quake? There was an earthquake?" He said "yes! quite a big shake, you didn't feel it?" Niether of us had felt it. Then we kept passing lots of people talking about it etc. Maybe we didn't feel it because we caused it! :hamster:Shoot, I don't know. Usually I'm one to be very sensitive to subtle tremmors, etc.

Sabrina

10. TopTop #10
    Sabrina

Oops! I just sent this privately to Barry. Sorry Barry, meant to be public. Here it is again! :
    By the way, how big was the quake anyway? I didn't
    get to read today's paper yet, I'll have to check.
    But someone should mention that...perhaps those
    who know about such things...what does it all
    mean? I know that my house is south of the Rogers
    Creek fault which is supposed to be safer than
    being on the north side of it. My house, located
    in Luther Burbank Gardens was also standing during
    the 1906 quake.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-04-2006 at 01:28 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    psaltz

I live on the northern edge of Windsor, didn't feel a thing and didn't know there was one till I heard it on the 11 pm news . . . OTOH, I was running the washing machine at that time, and it's entirely possible the spin cycle was shaking the house at that moment . . .

I've lived in CA 36 years, so I do remember many others of less than 4.0 over the years (so many, I don't get excited until there's a REALLY big one - at least 5.5), and I REALLY remember 1986 - at that time was living north of Bodega Bay, about 3 miles inland, and our whole house - a cabin with loft in the redwoods - rocked and rolled! We calmly walked outside, and the redwoods were all swaying, the ground was undulating, and there was a noise like a freight train, or a massive piece of furniture being dragged across a floor. It was awesome, exhilarating!

12. TopTop #12

4.4 is NOT a very big earthquake, but it is a reminder that we do live in earthquake country and you had better be prepared and have your supplies for at least two weeks set aside. If we have a BIG one, no help will get into the area for many days or weeks. Do NOT depend on the government to come to the rescue! Plan to take care of yourselves for the long run.

My wife did not feel the quake as she walked out of the bathroom. My daughter felt it and drifted over to a doorway, but by then it was over. I was sleeping and woke up wondering if it was an earthquake I had just felt. I looked at the clock and it was indeed 8:08. I rolled over and went right back to sleep. :sleep:

Tom
    Last edited by Barry; 08-04-2006 at 01:33 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    agentwahine

i was in the best place you can be during an earthquake (compared to a house).....a trailer (with wheels)! all you do is bounce....provided a tree doesn't fall on you of course.
    yeah, i'm from SoCal and went through both the Sylmar quake and the Northridge quake so THIS was nothin'! not that i'm disappointed.

Jamie in Sonoma Grove (yes, we're still here!)
    Last edited by Barry; 08-04-2006 at 01:34 PM.

14. TopTop #14
    Magick

Hi! I felt it strongly! I live 3 blocks form downtown Sebastopol. Yesterday in the PD it said that they are not sure what fault it was and are still analyzing the data.
    They said it was not the Rodgers Fault after all.
    I would be interested in seeing the faultline map. Thanks, Magick

15. TopTop #15
    Lorrie

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP TRACK OF THE EARTHQUAKES IN OUR AREA GO TO THIS SITE: https://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.htmlIT TELLS WHERE WHEN AND HOW STRONG
    ~Lorrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick:
    Hi! I felt it strongly! I live 3 blocks form downtown Sebastopol. Yesterday in the PD it said that they are not sure what fault it was and are still analyzing the data.
    They said it was not the Rodgers Fault after all.
    I would be interested in seeing the faultline map. Thanks, Magick

16. TopTop #16
    ThePhiant

I was at the Zen Center in Muir Beach in a lecture and the woman was just saying about how she had read in Don Juan that clarity is an hinderance in the search of truth. it was then that the earth shook.
    nobody moved, and nobody had clarity anymore.
    was that an earthquake?
    Last edited by Barry; 08-07-2006 at 07:22 PM.