Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    pagan

Where is the local artists forum

I couldn't find a forum for local artists, photographers, poets, sculptors, and storywriters to share their work. I kinda think that Sebastopol is a center of creative activity, not just a dearth of massage offices for rent.

Did I miss something?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Deb

Re: Where is the local artists forum

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pagan:
    I couldn't find a forum for local artists, photographers, poets, sculptors, and storywriters to share their work.
    There is a category in the business directory (art and photography) where you can post about your work. You are also welcome to start a thread in waccotalk if you would like to get a conversation going.

Blessings,
    Deb
    (moderator)

3. TopTop #3
    pagan

Oh, silly me. I was just thinking about community, not postings for profit, AKA 'business directory'.

And on the for profit angle, only the terminally lonely that watch late night infomercials are interested in media that has no 'content', no attraction that engages people, no interaction which is the hallmark of the web.

But silly me. If this venue is all about business directories and rides to Burning Man then the idea of community is just an idle dillusion of mine.

4. TopTop #4
    robbibaba

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but I'm not so sure that Sebastopol really is a center of creative activity anymore. At least not as far as the arts go. When it costs $500 just to rent a room in a house, how does one devote time to purely creative endevours? Unless you're a trust fund kid, you bought property back in the '70s or made a killing in the stock market. When I lived up in Eugene in the early '90s you could still share a house for about $150 a month or less and make a living at Saturday Market selling your work there. There were lots and lots of artists, poets, etc... The 'arts' down here don't seem as young and alive. There's so much pressure to make money. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    rob

I couldn't find a forum for local artists, photographers, poets, sculptors, and storywriters to share their work. I kinda think that Sebastopol is a center of creative activity, not just a dearth of massage offices for rent.

Did I miss something?

5. TopTop #5
    moonrise

Hi,
    I understand! We should be given a forum or make one somewhere. Maybe when Barry gets back? in the meantime if interest is generated we're more likely to get one.

It would be great to have an artists forum for sharing, supporting, encouragement, tips, etc. for artists. Personally I think the art walks, art at the source etc are fine for promoting 'the arts' but short on extending the artist behind the arts.

Do you want to start a new thread or continue here? Let's post and see if anyone's interested.

Oh, silly me. I was just thinking about community, not postings for profit, AKA 'business directory'.

And on the for profit angle, only the terminally lonely that watch late night infomercials are interested in media that has no 'content', no attraction that engages people, no interaction which is the hallmark of the web.

But silly me. If this venue is all about business directories and rides to Burning Man then the idea of community is just an idle dillusion of mine.

6. TopTop #6
    moonrise

Art happens - no matter how much the rent (or mortgage) is; and ours is considerably more than $500 a month!

Art happens even if one has just a hour or so to devote to it every so often. Do you really think to be an artist means forsaking day jobs? Never have I seen that, even before real estate went through the roof. There are A LOT of artists in west county, don't you be fooled.

Sometimes it is a hussle to get a painting sold; greeting cards displayed, accepted in a gallery, etc. yeah it's still got that business aspect to it. Sink $360+ all the work, materials into Art at the Source and it's a tough few weekends. But you're also looking at a community largely having to be jacks/janes of all trades to make ends meet. Art or not that's where things are. Economy or not there are still a lot of artists here and a forum for us would be helpful - especially if we didn't have to shell out a few hundred dollars for it

Things have changed A LOT here just in 10 years even. But what would make art young and alive to you?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by robbi baba:
    I'm not sure what you are asking exactly, but I'm not so sure that Sebastopol really is a center of creative activity anymore. At least not as far as the arts go. When it costs $500 just to rent a room in a house, how does one devote time to purely creative endevours? Unless you're a trust fund kid, you bought property back in the '70s or made a killing in the stock market. When I lived up in Eugene in the early '90s you could still share a house for about $150 a month or less and make a living at Saturday Market selling your work there. There were lots and lots of artists, poets, etc... The 'arts' down here don't seem as young and alive. There's so much pressure to make money. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    rob