Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Connubial Warthog

Senseless burning of driftwood structures @ Jenner Beach

What follows is my letter to the editor of the Bohemian. Personally, I am outraged at this senseless act of destruction of these whimsical and artistic structures and sculptures. I also wonder what this totally botched operation (read on) cost us tax payers:

A few days ago, without a public forum or announcement, the park commission, in their infinite wisdom burned down all the charming driftwood structures that have stood there for some 50 years. A part of Sonoma county history, these whimsical lean-tos, buildings and sculptures, represented a significant cultural moment in California history. As a 40 year resident of west county, It also represented the destruction of a place that held many fond memories of hanging out, playing music and picnicking out there over many many years. I celebrated the vernal equinox there recently with friends. Now it's just a memory. Lucky I took photos.

It took 4 fire trucks and two helicopters to clean up the mess after the "controlled burn" went out of control. Besides the structures, the fire burned up the entire hillside and threatened the 101 bridge. As one witness reported, "They told me they were gonna burn up the wood on the beach so that no one would burn the wood on the beach." Yeah- that about sums it up.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Connubial Warthog

Re: Senseless burning of driftwood structures @ Jenner Beach

I realize these structures have been washed away and rebuilt over the years and are probably not the ones I remember from 40 years ago. Still, I wish they hadn't dismantled them and burned the. But what really irks me is the damage these guys did to the hillside above the beach. It's a bummer.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MalletKatMandu: View Post
    What follows is my letter to the editor of the Bohemian. Personally, I am outraged at this senseless act of destruction of these whimsical and artistic structures and sculptures. I also wonder what this totally botched operation (read on) cost us tax payers:

A few days ago, without a public forum or announcement, the park commission, in their infinite wisdom burned down all the charming driftwood structures that have stood there for some 50 years. A part of Sonoma county history, these whimsical lean-tos, buildings and sculptures, represented a significant cultural moment in California history. As a 40 year resident of west county, It also represented the destruction of a place that held many fond memories of hanging out, playing music and picnicking out there over many many years. I celebrated the vernal equinox there recently with friends. Now it's just a memory. Lucky I took photos.

It took 4 fire trucks and two helicopters to clean up the mess after the "controlled burn" went out of control. Besides the structures, the fire burned up the entire hillside and threatened the 101 bridge. As one witness reported, "They told me they were gonna burn up the wood on the beach so that no one would burn the wood on the beach." Yeah- that about sums it up.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    beshiva

isn't this just so typical of the county beauacracy to be so destructive, blow the job, waste our tax dollars and probably give some pathetic excuse as to 'why they HAD to do it".....!! well, memories, warm and fuzzy experiences never count..the business machine keeps grinding on.....sad

I realize these structures have been washed away and rebuilt over the years and are probably not the ones I remember from 40 years ago. Still, I wish they hadn't dismantled them and burned the. But what really irks me is the damage these guys did to the hillside above the beach. It's a bummer.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Connubial Warthog

there is an article coming out in tomorrow's PD on this event. I'll just say at this point that there's more to this story than I am able to reveal at present, but will post a link after the story is published. I will say that at first the Parks and rec people denied the structures were still there when they went in-later they admitted to deliberately destroying them. They have also admitted the operation went very badly. More tomorrow.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Connubial Warthog

Here's the link to today's article in the PD re destructions of driftwood structures:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...1119664#page=0

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Dustymaggie

I rushed this a.m. to read the article but was quite disappointed to find the inadequacies and phumpering of the responsible parties weren't truly addressed but I understand. The PD has to work through and with the "machine" and mustn't really speak the truth. Thank goodness we have this forum for the truth.

Here's the link to today's article in the PD re destructions of driftwood structures:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...1119664#page=0

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Investigative Reporter

Who decided that this had to be done?

I read the PD coverage and noticeably absent was the name of the person, or people, who made this decision to use our tax dollars to destroy this unique and important piece of local culture and art? Surely if they believed that this decision was in the pubic interest, they ought to also believe that the pubic has a right to know who they are? Does anyone know? Perhaps someone ought to call County Parks Dept and ask?

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Connubial Warthog

Re: Who decided that this had to be done?

Good question. You could write Mary Callahan, who wrote the article. But I have a feeling she doesn't know. A lawyer told a friend of mine he believes someone may have written the parks or fire dept with a complaint and someone in a position of authority felt they should take action. I don't think anyone has been hurt over there. The folks who did it may not even know the whole story. The whole thing sucks.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    I read the PD coverage and noticeably absent was the name of the person, or people, who made this decision to use our tax dollars to destroy this unique and important piece of local culture and art?
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2013 at 03:14 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: