Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Deb

American Bio Dental in Mexico - anyone been?

I am looking into heading to Mexico to get the amalgams out of my mouth. They follow the Huggins protocol. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them, good or bad. Thanks. Here is a link to there site.

http://www.americanbiodental.com/index.html
    Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fix type & add link
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Deb

Re: American Bio Dental in Mexico - anyone been?

If anyone is wanting to start a discussion about the health benefits (or lack thereof) of removing amalgams, please do it in a different thread. I am only looking for responses to my question above.

Thanks,
    Deb

3. TopTop #3
    Indigo

Referrals wanted for non-US Dentists (Costa Rica, Mexico, Thailand, India, etc.)

Can anyone recommend a GOOD dentist in Costa Rica??? Would also consider Mexico or Thailand, but Costa Rica is my first choice. I need 6 crowns and have no dental insurance, and should really get them done soon. Any recommendations are gratefully appreciated!
    ~ Indigo (849-5502)
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2006 at 08:36 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Veronica

Re: Referrals wanted for non-US Dentists (Costa Rica, Mexico, Thailand, India, etc.)

Quote Indigo wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a GOOD dentist in Costa Rica??? Would also consider Mexico or Thailand, but Costa Rica is my first choice. I need 6 crowns and have no dental insurance, and should really get them done soon. Any recommendations are gratefully appreciated!
    ~ Indigo (849-5502)
    We had a very positive experience with Dr. Yamada in Mexico. We found out about him from Sonoma friends who had travelled to see him. Prices were about 1/4-1/3 of what you would pay here. He speaks fluent English, is very spiritual, and has had quite an interesting life.

Dr. Roberto Yamada
    Plaza Patria, 4th floor
    Tijuana, Mexico

(664) 681-9507

Dr. Yamada’s office is on the 4th floor of a large office building. It is a big, grey building that looks like it is made of stone. When you enter the building take the stairs or elevator to the 4th level. As you leave the stairs or the elevator, Dr. Yamada’s office is the first office on your right. He speaks English fluently. We paid him cash in US Dollars. Everyone took dollars when we were there.

You can fly to San Diego and then take a cab from the airport to the trolley. The trolley will take you all the way to the border (I have been told it is less than $10). Cross the border and then have one of the taxi drivers take you to the hotel. That ride should be less than $15.

If you drive across, you are supposed to buy car insurance as US insurance is not in effect in Mexico. That is about $45 a day, but we just chanced it and didn’t buy the insurance.

The hotel is across the street and down about 100 feet. It is: Hotel La Mesa Inn

Blvd. Diaz Ordaz at Gardenias

1-888-226-1033, be sure to say that you want the La Mesa Inn as the Baja Inn chain has more than one hotel in Tijuana.

(664) 681-6522

www.bajainn.com

hlm@bajainn.com

They have a nice pool, onsite parking, and a restaurant.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-22-2006 at 08:32 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    Indigo

Wanted: Tijuana Dentist

In September I requested dentists in Costa Rica or Mexico. Someone recommended a dentist in Tijuana, but I didn't track the email because it looked like I'd be going to Costa Rica. Now things have changed, and I'm looking at Tijuana as the place where I'll be ending up. I'm hoping the person who sent the original referral wouldn't mind resending it, and would also appreciate any other referrals to there that folks might know about. Thank you very much.
    Indigo

6. TopTop #6
    Si'paz

Re: Wanted: Tijuana Dentist

Quote Indigo wrote:
    In September I requested dentists in Costa Rica or Mexico. Someone recommended a dentist in Tijuana, but I didn't track the email because it looked like I'd be going to Costa Rica. Now things have changed, and I'm looking at Tijuana as the place where I'll be ending up. I'm hoping the person who sent the original referral wouldn't mind resending it, and would also appreciate any other referrals to there that folks might know about. Thank you very much.
    Indigo
    i was just doing the same, maybe we'll carpool, the way i went about it was to go iaomt.org for biological dentistry, there are 3 in tijuana, one has a website with a pricelist, it seems a bit cheaper but im also looking into other locations for comparison, its going to take me more than one vist because i need crowns, I wish i knew of one in costa rica, i love that place

7. TopTop #7
    Christine

I too have done some research on dentists in Costa Rica and here is what I came up with....hope this helps I will also look into going to Mexico but Costa rica seems like more fun, more of a vaction than Tijuana...Good luck!

www.cosmetics-dentistry.com

Quote Si'paz wrote:
    i was just doing the same, maybe we'll carpool, the way i went about it was to go iaomt.org for biological dentistry, there are 3 in tijuana, one has a website with a pricelist, it seems a bit cheaper but im also looking into other locations for comparison, its going to take me more than one vist because i need crowns, I wish i knew of one in costa rica, i love that place

8. TopTop #8
    donallan
    Supporting Member

Here is a dentist in Mexico that I have been to and liked. He is in Puerto Vallarta: Dr. Fernando Peñalva. He shows up in a Google search many times. He replaced two crowns and did a ceramic filling, and saved me half of what I was quoted here. My local dentist looked at his work and was impressed. He speaks English and has more high-tech equipment than I have every seen here at a dentist.

Interesting quote from a web site: "One of the fastest growing industries in the world is Medical Tourism. Puerto Vallarta is one of the top locations where people come for everything from plastic surgery to lumbar surgery." From here:
    http://www.vallarta-info.com/puerto_...ta_health.html

A friend is going down soon, to see Dr. Peñalva, and will save the cost of her plane ticket and more. Free vacation! This is a great time to go, also. I am going in a couple of days myself, but for the food and the beach, not the teeth.

Best,

Allan Hardman
    Joydancer.com

9. TopTop #9
    jgrace

I have been completely happy (as have the people I have sent there) with the BioDental Clinic in Tijuana. The owner is Alessandro. The people are expert and a total pleasure to deal with. They will even help shuttle you back and forth to San Diego. email is info@americanbiodental.com. Toll free phone is 1.877.231.5701. I don't have the web site here, but you can easily find them. Prices are at least 50% less than here, and, with most procedures, less than that. I had all my metal taken out and am delighted with the results.

Jacqueline Hayward

Quote Christine wrote:
    I too have done some research on dentists in Costa Rica and here is what I came up with....hope this helps I will also look into going to Mexico but Costa rica seems like more fun, more of a vaction than Tijuana...Good luck!

www.cosmetics-dentistry.com

10. TopTop #10
    ptr_bloch

Anyone Had Dental Work In Mexico?

Hi...I'm looking for a referral for some major dental work and would appreciate hearing experiences. Thanks, Peter

11. TopTop #11
    voxregalis

Re: Anyone Had Dental Work In Mexico?

Quote ptr_bloch wrote: View Post
    Hi...I'm looking for a referral for some major dental work and would appreciate hearing experiences. Thanks, Peter
    I went to Mexico...like it?

want my dentist's number?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2008 at 08:06 PM.

12. TopTop #12
    eliward1

Not in Mexico but check out the University of the Pacific Dental School in San Francisco. They claim the bill will be about 40% less. (415) 929-6400 - go to their website http://dental.pacific.edu/

13. TopTop #13
    haloshames

I"m writing from outside PV now, where lots of folks come down to get dental work. There's a dentist in our town (20 min from PV) that people really like here, one canadian woman said instead of paying over 20k in the US, she got lots of cosmetic dentistry done here for less than 4k. HIs name is Dr. Adrian Malja 011-52-329- 298 1249

Our friend Earl who lives near us in cotati is now in San Miguel. He goes every year to Matzalan to get his dental work done there and is very pleased with it. If you wish that dentists name and # email me privately and I'll contact him for it.

the important part -- US or mexico -- is to go to someone who comes highly recommended.

Quote voxregalis wrote: View Post
    I went to Mexico...like it?

want my dentist's number?

14. TopTop #14
    scorpiomoon

Major Dental work, I think the SF recommendation is the way to go, to cut the expense. However, ultimately to avoid major dental issues cleanings twice a year and dilligent flossing is the honest truth. I swear by that oh and I also found a plak removing toothbrush at Andys as well which has been surprising and very good!!! I was brushing too hard, its always important to be gentle, massage your gums with the brush dont wear them out. ummm and the dentist in Mexico unless its someone who went to school in the states and happens to be your best friend or brother I say nononononnnoooo. I believe your dental health is linked to alot of other issues in the body. Benstock in Sebastopol and McNeal in Occidental are both excellent if you want a referral for future maintenance after you get your work done, or for your major issues, either one.

15. TopTop #15
    AmyC

Hi,
    I got a deep root cleaning done at the JC in Santa Rosa for $30.00..... it was done by a student with instructors checking in. I was happy with the results and how I was treated.

Call the JC Dental school. I know they are looking for people that need deep cleanings.
    Amy

Quote eliward1 wrote: View Post
    Not in Mexico but check out the University of the Pacific Dental School in San Francisco. They claim the bill will be about 40% less. (415) 929-6400 - go to their website http://dental.pacific.edu/

16. TopTop #16
    neil
    Supporting member

Hi Peter,

A year ago I went to Costa Rica to get 6 crowns done that my dentist here said I needed, but which i could not afford to do here at his prices.

I chose a dental office called Prisma Dental in San Jose, the capital, a wife and husband team. They had a very clean, modern office which had it's own lab where they make crowns and implants on-site. The dentists had not only licenses to practice dentistry, but a long list of continuing studies and certifications. Their website was professional and they and much of their staff spoke English as well as Spanish.

This office specialized in treating people from the U.S. and other countries who needed a lot of work done in a short time span, and needed or wanted to save money by doing it there. I had done a fair amount of research and felt confident that I had chosen well.

Peter, it was terrible. Their work was very very rough. I've had crown work done by several dentists in the U.S., but never have I experienced such rough, painful treatment. I had tears streaming down my cheeks--i wasn't crying; the tears were coming of their own from the extreme pain. And not only painful, but they disturbed my gums so much that in one place it has still not fully healed, a year later.

Even worse, they repeatedly pressured to try to do more procedures than I wanted.

Even worse, near the end of my treatment, when I went in to get the crowns installed, while I was waiting for them to start I noticed that there was blood on the main power tool handle which they use for many procedures. Someone else's blood! And when I told the dentist about the blood, she looked and agreed that it was blood, wiped it very quickly with a little alcohol wipe and said testily, "there, now you don't have to worry". She did NOT say, "Oh my God, this room was not cleaned properly, let's go to another." So I assume that the room had been cleaned, and that for the dentist the only problem was that I was worried about the blood, not that it was there.

A friend of mine had an even worse experience at the same office. They did a tooth against her instructions, and did it so poorly that it became inflamed and very painful and had to be redone in the U.S. at a higher cost than just getting a crown.

My advise? No advise. But if I find myself in a similar situation I would find a cheaper option in the U.S., like supervised students at a dental school. Or bite the bullet, go into debt at my regular dentist (who I know and trust) and pay over time.

Good Luck, Neil

Quote ptr_bloch wrote: View Post

17. TopTop #17
    Carlygirl

Hi Peter!
    My husband and I both went to Tijuana Mexico to a biological dentist named Dr. Hernandez in the Loyd building across the border (619)734-3206. The receptionist speaks english..
    We both had mercury removed, and my husband had work on a previous root canal, had a couple of teeth pulled and a cleaning.. He is an excellent doctor and his staff was very helpful and also spoke great english. The price was at least half of what we would've paid in the states.
    We chose to stay in Tijuana instead of going back and forth across the border every day.
    We found a great place with great food in a very convienient location. The Lucerna www.hoteleslucerna.com We took a cab to the dental office. Everyone seemed to always know where the Lloyd building was so it was easy getting cabs to drop us off.
    Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Carly and Joe

18. TopTop #18
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote neil wrote: View Post
    Hi Peter,

A year ago I went to Costa Rica to get 6 crowns done that my dentist here said I needed, but which i could not afford to do here at his prices.
    (....)
    Peter, it was terrible. Their work was very very rough. I've had crown work done by several dentists in the U.S., but never have I experienced such rough, painful treatment. I had tears streaming down my cheeks--i wasn't crying; the tears were coming of their own from the extreme pain. And not only painful, but they disturbed my gums so much that in one place it has still not fully healed, a year later.
    Hope this was at least a "green dentist," Neil.

19. TopTop #19
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Zeno Swijtink wrote: View Post
    Hope this was at least a "green dentist," Neil.
    I may have been a little too dense here. So let me be blunt:

"If you're still going to Costa Rico for your dental work, objectively-speaking you can't be very green."

20. TopTop #20
    MsTerry

ZG, what has gotten into you, arguing with yourself?
    the guy is still in pain and you are already jumping on him for crying out loud?

Quote Zeno Swijtink wrote: View Post
    I may have been a little too dense here. So let me be blunt:

"If you're still going to Costa Rico for your dental work, objectively-speaking you can't be very green."

21. TopTop #21
    charrer

Some good advice is to ask a number of dentists, assistants or hygienists who They go to for their care. As someone in the business of dental technology, it is also very important to know where the crowns are made. The dentist can be the most personable and most gentle guy or gal, but the crowns won't fit properly and will eventually fail if they are substandard. They can look pretty but have margins a tiny millimeter open or in the wrong place, causing gum irritation or decay. This is 'inside information' and would only be available from someone in the dental community. Do your detective work!
    As far as going out of the country. I went to CR for some other work and my doctor was board certified from the US. I knew several people who had used him. Everything turned out well. I would suggest message boards like 'make me heal' or 'plastic surgery journeys' to get the real scoop on outcomes by real people!

22. TopTop #22
    silverswage

Dental Care Costa Rica

I recognize that many are travelling to Costa Rica for Dental work, and I want to warn fellow travellers to beware of Prisma Dental in San Jose Costa Rica. The Doctors there Dr. Thema Rubenstein and Dr. Jospeh Cordero are very bad, and not competent. . They told me I needed to have an immediate Bone Graft in order to have implants. They said it needed to be done immediately, and couldn't even wait for a few days. I was startled as I thought it was a consultation and was not planning a procdure. They startled me by their urgency, and I consented to this dental procedure. Dr. Rubenstein was the salesman in the group. The pain was intense from their dental work.

The work they did was expensive, painful and when I called them for follow up consultation, they were rude and uncaring. They insisted on giving me a pain shot which was $100.00, and did nothing to alleviate the pain. I had to go to the hospital the night of the surgery for pain medication.

They also told me to leave the stitches in for 4 weeks, and that they would dissolve. After 12 days, the dental pain was intense. I went to another dentist who told me they had not done the procedure correctly, and he put me on amoxicillin as I had a raging infection.

I had phoned Prisma Dental several times for follow up, and they never phoned me back.

When i told Dr. Rubenstien I had been to antoher Doctor andhe had said that they had not done this procedure correcty, her response to me was "that the other dentist needed to get glasses."

Run from Prisma Dental. Do not have dental work there. They may be all over the Internet, but they are incomeptent and uncaring.

23. TopTop #23
    SuzanneFromSeattle

I’ve had extractions, implants, crowns, a root canal, and a sinus boost, all in Los Algodones, just across the border from Yuma, Arizona.

My Mexican dentist does excellent work and I would recommend him to anyone.

If you (or anyone reading this) would like a copy of the 30-page journal from my first trip, email me at my Yahoo.com address (SuzanneFromSeattle).

-- Suzanne From Seattle

24. TopTop #24
    SuzanneFromSeattle

Although I haven't swapped amalgam for non-amalgam fillings, I have had my amalgams removed in preparation for porcelain crowns.

I’ve had extractions, implants, crowns, a root canal, and a sinus boost, all in Los Algodones, just across the border from Yuma, Arizona.

If you (or anyone reading this) would like a copy of the 30-page journal from my first trip, email me at my Yahoo.com address (SuzanneFromSeattle).

-- Suzanne From Seattle

25. TopTop #25
    Evalena Rose
    Supporting Member

Dental Work in Mexico

Hi,
    Has anyone gone to Mexico for dental work that you can highly recommend. I need two crowns, perhaps a root canal, an extraction and either an implant or bridge - all frightfully expensive here.

I'd love the name and phone number of any clinics there - have read the archives but all the postings are from a couple years ago.

Thanks,
    Evalena
    LoveJourneyTantra.com
    Evalena Rose, M. A., MetaTherapist, Channel 707/ 824-1118 http://www.tantraforwomen.com

26. TopTop #26
    BancheroTreeService

When I was in La Pas last year I had my teeth cleaned. It only cost $25 and the dentist had all of the fancy new equipment you would expect to see in a high end office here in the States. I'm sorry I can't remember the specifics as the her name or location but I think you are on the right track with going to a different country to have dental work done.

I find it sort of silly that people think the US is the only place in the world where you can have any kind of medical work done safely. We're also the country that decided to put the insurance companies in charge of our health and to create a profit motive for the industry. I can't wait to get back to La Pas. I think she quoted me something like $30 a cavity, I just didn't have time.

27. TopTop #27
    Michele

Gathering info on Dental clinics in Mexico

info wanted-personal exp/recommendations etc
    Thank you
    michele@cds1.net

28. TopTop #28
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Gathering info on Dental clinics in Mexico

Quote Michele wrote: View Post
    info wanted-personal exp/recommendations etc
    Thank you
    michele@cds1.net
    Hi Michele,

I've merged your request with an existing thread about Mexican Dentists. Please check this thread on the website.

Does anybody have any experience with dentists in Mexico you can share with us?

29. TopTop #29
    Seabaz

Quote Deb wrote: View Post
    I am looking into heading to Mexico to get the amalgams out of my mouth. They follow the Huggins protocol. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them, good or bad. Thanks. Here is a link to there site.

I have heard of such a place but i do know that the biological dentist in tj i go to is the only one that goes to all the latest conventions for safe mercury removal and biological/holistic dentistry and has been a really high quality dentist for me the past few years www.villafanabiologicaldentistry.com

30. TopTop #30
    jgrace

Have had several visits to American Biodental, including for amalgam removal. Could not recommend them more highly. Awesome people.

31. TopTop #31
    indigoc

Quote Deb wrote: View Post

I hope I'm not too late with this. A friend and I went to American Biodental 12/08 -- between us for lots of different things. They were recommended highly by two different people in Sonoma County, and the day we arrived there was a family from Santa Rosa who said that's where they always get their work done.

First problem. I needed crowns and asked how long I'd have to be down there to get them done. They told me something like 5 or 6 days. They did the initial dental work pretty quickly. When I asked when to come back for the crowns, they said 2 or 3 weeks (can't remember exactly; it was 2 years ago!) -- anyway, it was much longer than they'd told me and I had no plans of spending Christmas and New Year's down south. I had driven down, so I left my car with my friend (she had family there), and I flew back to So. County. I was very unhappy with the extra expense, as well as leaving my car behind. It was a nightmare at the time.

Second problem. It's a clinic and the dentists change. Our dentist was very angry because she said they were overworking her and her pay was horrible. Her work was shoddy, and I've had to replace most, if not all, of the fillings and crowns. And some of the fillings now need crowns, which I can't afford. My friend needed root canals finished and went back to them. Within the year, the work done on her started deteriorating.

Third problem. The owner is NOT a dentist, but he looks at your x-rays and tells you what you need. I asked them to send me my x-rays for a dentist here, and 2 dentists told me they were unreadable. So now I'm not sure if what they did was even necessary.

Fourth problem. He gives you a paper about the Huggins protocol, but I saw no signs of it being followed.

Fifth problem. They worked on us both all day. It was very very grueling, and the dentist was rough. There was no gentleness. They worked on my friend into the night. At the end she was bleeding and not feeling well at all. It was scary.

Sixth problem. It wasn't super cheap. It was cheaper, but not the great bargain I'd thought it would be. We stayed in a hotel on the San Diego side of the border for safety reasons, so that was a little more expensive, and of course we had to eat out. Then there was the gas + wear and tear on the car. I'm not sure I saved anything at all there, plus It was all so unpleasant. I definitely didn't save anything when you add on all the re-doing I've had to do in Sonoma County.

I'm not saying don't go since many people have had good experiences there, but I just wanted you to know that not everyone has.

Good luck!

32. The following 2 members have expressed gratitude to indigoc for this post:

33. TopTop #32
    Braggi

It seems like a huge risk to me. What if something goes wrong? Then you can pay for it twice and maybe lose a tooth.

-Jeff