Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "Sebastopol"?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Sebasto-pole"

26 68.42%
  • "Sebasto-pool"

10 26.32%
  • "pol" like the first syllable of "Polly".

2 5.26%
  • "Incestopol"

0 0%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    "Mad" Miles

How about the pronunciation of Sebastopol?

[this thread started as tangent from the discussion of the what to do call people from Sebastopol thread]

On a tangential topic, what is the proper pronunciation (if any) of Sebastopol?

I hear, "Sebasto-pole" and "Sebasto-pool". Which is it?

I've been living in this county since '07, the first four years in Sebastopol, and I started visiting twice a year back in '89. I hear both versions, with the the first choice, "Pole", the most common. That's the one I use.

But I heard a Chamber of Commerce ad on KRSH yesterday that used the "Pool" version. What'up wit dat?
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 09-11-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Correct the reversal of pronunciation which was the opposite of what I meant and use
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: How about the pronunciation of Sebastopol?

I would suggest a third pronunciation, which I prefer: "pol" like the first syllable of "Polly".

Patrick

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles:

I've been living in this county since '07, the first four years in Sebastopol, and I started visiting twice a year back in '89. I hear both versions, with the the first choice, "Pool", the most common. That's the one I use.

But I heard a Chamber of Commerce ad on KRSH yesterday that used the "Pole" version. What'up wit dat?

3. TopTop #3
    ingo

How about Sebasto-troll (since it's an earthy type-o-place)...

Ingo

4. TopTop #4
    Dixon

It's hard to imagine why it would be pronounced "-pool", since that last
    syllable doesn't have two "o"s. I've always assumed that the "-pool"
    pronunciation was invented by someone who can't read. The fact that it's
    so common may be yet another indication that we live in a post-literate
    age.

Happy holidaze to all;

Dixon

I've been living in this county since '07, the first four years in Sebastopol, and I started visiting twice a year back in '89. I hear both versions, with the the first choice, "Pool", the most common. That's the one I use.

But I heard a Chamber of Commerce ad on KRSH yesterday that used the "Pole" version. What'up wit dat?

And to return to the previous part of this thread:

Mykil and Barry, "Get a room"!

I feel the LOVE but do you guys have to be so public about it? (Sic.)

"M"M

LMAO indeed Mykil...

5. TopTop #5
    OrchardDweller

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon:
    It's hard to imagine why it would be pronounced "-pool", since that last
    syllable doesn't have two "o"s. I've always assumed that the "-pool"
    pronunciation was invented by someone who can't read. The fact that it's
    so common may be yet another indication that we live in a post-literate
    age.

Happy holidaze to all;

Dixon
    LOL
    I agree! I will start saying SebastopOOl as soon as they add that extra O!!

6. TopTop #6
    Juggledude

I've been living in this county since '07, the first four years in Sebastopol, and I started visiting twice a year back in '89.
    Just out of curiostiy, how did you manage to live here since next year, or am I speaking to a spry and witty centenarian?

Royce

7. TopTop #7
    ThePhiant

Sebastopol is a russian word and should be pronounced like Patrick suggested as a short "o" almost like "all"
    Last edited by Barry; 12-19-2006 at 01:35 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    Deb

My favorite pronunciation, when the story is right...

...Incestopol...

Yes, you can quote me.
    Deb
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2006 at 05:03 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    "Mad" Miles

On being a spry and witty centenarian

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Royce:
    Just out of curiostiy, how did you manage to live here since next year, or am I speaking to a spry and witty centenarian?
    Thanks for catching my typo. That should be '97, not '07. Oops!

"M"M

:whackasmilie:
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2006 at 05:10 PM.

10. TopTop #10
    Juggledude

Re: On being a spry and witty centenarian

Thanks for catching my typo. That should be '97, not '07. Oops!

"M"M

:whackasmilie:
    no problem, us cunning linguists must band together, to stave off the grammatical faux pas inundating us from every side, even if we do not wanna.

Royce

11. TopTop #11
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: On being a spry and witty centenarian

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Juggledude:
    no problem, us cunning linguists must band together, to stave off the grammatical faux pas inundating us from every side, even if we do not wanna.

Royce
    Oh yeah ; how could I forget? I also get emails from the lovely Royce about my lovely spelling!!!
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2006 at 05:10 PM.

12. TopTop #12
    Lorrie

Sebastopew!

I grew up in Sonoma County...Ever since I can remember Santa Rosans have called it, Sebastopew... lol

No offense.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2006 at 05:51 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

"Pol" Added! Vote Now!

I've added a "pol" to this thread on the website so you can vote on this burning issue!
    Last edited by Barry; 12-20-2006 at 05:50 PM.

14. TopTop #14
    wildflower

Re: Sebastopew!

Well.... Har de Har Har Har! Yes Sebastopew does STINK! I was standing at the downtown crosswalk yesterday and was choking on the cocktail of dairy ammonia gas and vehicle exhaust, including a recognizable diesel component!
    It is a definitely STINKY Health Hazard!

SEBASTOPEW it is Then!
    the stinky wildflower

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie:
    I grew up in Sonoma County...Ever since I can remember Santa Rosans have called it, Sebastopew... lol

No offense.

15. TopTop #15
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: Sebastopew!

When growing up it was sebastipew, the smell of rotting apples was a part of life. The wind would take it in all directions, no one was safe in all of Sonoma County From the smell! It did take some getting used to!!! How soon we forget!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower:
    Well.... Har de Har Har Har! Yes Sebastopew does STINK! I was standing at the downtown crosswalk yesterday and was choking on the cocktail of dairy ammonia gas and vehicle exhaust, including a recognizable diesel component!
    It is a definitely STINKY Health Hazard!

SEBASTOPEW it is Then!
    the stinky wildflower

16. TopTop #16
    Robin

Okay. I will wade in on this. If the city's name is Russian wouldn't the correct pronounciation be based on that. "pole" sounds more likely to me. But "pool" does rhyme with cool.
    Robin of Sebast o'pole
    Last edited by Barry; 12-26-2006 at 11:59 AM.

17. TopTop #17
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Robin:
    Okay. I will wade in on this. If the city's name is Russian wouldn't the correct pronounciation be based on that. "pole" sounds more likely to me. But "pool" does rhyme with cool.
    Robin of Sebast o'pole
    Here's a little blurb from the Sebastopol entry in Wikipedia about it's history:
    Quote The name of Sebastopol first came into use in the late 1850s as a result of a prolonged and lively fist fight in the newly formed town, which was likened to the long British siege of the Russian seaport of Sevastopol during the then-raging Crimean War. At one time, four other California towns were also named Sebastopol (specifically, one in Napa County renamed Yountville, and others in Tulare, Sacramento and Nevada counties). There is some debate in the rumour mill about how the name "Sebastopol" came into being. The town was originally called Pinegrove, and how the name change occurred is rumored to have something to do with a bar fight. The original name can be seen in the names of two of the longer standing downtown businesses, Pinegrove consignment store, and the Pinecone restaurant.
    Note that it was named after "Sevastopol", which I believe pronounced with the accent on the "to" (ie sevasTOpol) as opposed to seBASTopol/pool.

Following the above link to Sevastopol, it turns out it was originally called "Sebastopol". Here's a bit about Sevastopol's name:
    Quote The name of Sevastopolis (Greek: Σεβαστόπολι ), or currently Sevastopol, was originally chosen in the same etymology trend as other cities in the Crimean peninsula that was intended to reflect its ancient Greek origins. It is a compound of two Greek nouns, σεβαστός (sebastós, Modern sevastós) "venerable, reverend" and πόλις (pólis) "city". σεβαστός is the traditional Greek translation of the honourable Roman title Augustus "venerable, august", originally given to the first emperor of the Romane Empire, C. Julius Caesar Octavianus and later awarded as a title to his successors (see Augustus).
    Barry
    (wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season from my sick bed! )

18. TopTop #18
    emvee

while i usually say 'suh BASTA pole',
    the correct pronunciation is 'seh bast uh POOL'

the latter is what the long time locals used when i arrived over 35 years ago; when i meet someone who says the 'pool' variant, they are invariably a long time local

19. TopTop #19
    Sylph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by emvee: View Post

the latter is what the long time locals used when i arrived over 35 years ago; when i meet someone who says the 'pool' variant, they are invariably a long time local

My elderly Uncle Ben calls it 'Suh Bastard Pole' and thinks it's hilarious!

I never thought about it much, I think I say 'Pole' mostly.
    When I call to order something on the phone to someone out of state, I always get a, "What?? Can you spell that please?"

20. TopTop #20
    gr8fulfred

I like to say it

"See buh stoah pull"

to thro peepul awf

21. TopTop #21
    Homomasculine man

My family has lived in Sebasto[pole] since the 1930s. We have always said "Sebasto[pole].

Newcomers and tourists often say Sebasto[pool] but they also often pronouce the two-syllable "Guerneville" as "Guern[y]ville." "Sebastopol" is from the Russian in which the final syllable is pronounced "pole." Sebastopol is not Liverpool!

The suffix "pol" means "city." "Sebastopol" means the "City of Saint Sebastian" which is why Saint Sebastian is the name of the Catholic parish in Sebastopol.

Consider that "Corpus Christi," Texas, means "Body of Christ," and "Santa Rosa" means "Saint Rose."

As a cultural insight, consider that Saint Sebastian is the longtime Patron Saint of Gay Men! Go to Netflix and rent Brit director's incredible film "Sebastiane" (1976).

It is fun to pun with the name of any town, especially if it's quirky. The next question is WHAT DOES ONE CALL SOMEONE FROM SEBASTOPOL? We have variously used "Sebastopudlians" and "Sebastopoids."

And remember to please Vote NO on PROP 8.

22. TopTop #22
    psaltz

Funny, my experience has been just the opposite: When I came to Northern California in 1970, I noticed that people who had been raised here said "suh BAS ta pole," while people who had moved here from other places said "seh BAS ta uh pool." In both cases, the accent (shown by the ALL CAPS) was on the second syllable.

Our own idiot president says "NUKE you lar," when it's so clearly spelled "NU-clear," and how many folk have you heard say FOI-lage for FO-li-age, mis-CHEEV-ee-us for MIS-chiev-ous, SOD-om for Sad-DAM, FEB-you-ar-y for FEB-ru-ar-y, LI-ber-ry for LI-brar-y, and even GUR-nee-vill for GUERNE-ville (founded by the GUERNE family) . . . I have had people argue angrily about this last one, even though I've heard members of the GUERNE family themselves pronounce it GURN, one syllable, not GUR-nee . . .

Quote Posted in reply to the post by emvee: View Post

23. TopTop #23
    "Mad" Miles

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Homomasculine man: View Post
    The next question is WHAT DOES ONE CALL SOMEONE FROM SEBASTOPOL? We have variously used "Sebastopudlians" and "Sebastopoids."

And remember to please Vote NO on PROP 8.
    Dear Homomasculine Dude,

Thanks for the etymology, cultural studies and history. As for your question, you're late to the party, but that's OK!

La Fete Continue!!!

See:

https://www.waccobb.com/forums/showt...ASebastopol%2A

For the extant waccobb discussion about the "name for residents of Sebasto" question.

And you get to vote in another old Poll!

"Mad" Miles

24. TopTop #24
    jojobeana

Dig it! It makes me crazy when I hear POOL at the end . It is supposed to be POLE, as in Poland not Pooland. It is actually a Russian town but the emphasis is on the the 3rd syllable...SebasTOPol. Keep pronouncing it the correct way...Pole and correct the knumbskulls. I have been here since the 70's. The old timers and apple farmers taught me to end with Pole

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    [this thread started as tangent from the discussion of the what to do call people from Sebastopol thread]

I've been living in this county since '07, the first four years in Sebastopol, and I started visiting twice a year back in '89. I hear both versions, with the the first choice, "Pole", the most common. That's the one I use.

But I heard a Chamber of Commerce ad on KRSH yesterday that used the "Pool" version. What'up wit dat?

25. TopTop #25
    Elles

Born and raised in Sebastopol and going strong at 60 years old. The old-timers I know ((my mom at 90 years old (who also grew up here), plus some of her old friends)) pronounce it with the "pool" at the end and a slight accent on the "bass" part. You can really tell who's lived here a long time because they pronounce the city name with only 2 syllables: 'spaz-pool' with just the tiniest hint of the 'ta' in the middle.

26. TopTop #26
    kpage9

well I've been coming through this town for 59 years on my way to grandma's place in albion, stopped for ice cream almost every time....people always said POOL, but quickly, more like PULL.
    kathy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jojobeana: View Post
    Dig it! It makes me crazy when I hear POOL at the end . It is supposed to be POLE, as in Poland not Pooland. It is actually a Russian town but the emphasis is on the the 3rd syllable...SebasTOPol. Keep pronouncing it the correct way...Pole and correct the knumbskulls. I have been here since the 70's. The old timers and apple farmers taught me to end with Pole

27. TopTop #27
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Elles: View Post
    Born and raised in Sebastopol and going strong at 60 years old. The old-timers I know ((my mom at 90 years old (who also grew up here), plus some of her old friends)) pronounce it with the "pool" at the end and a slight accent on the "bass" part. You can really tell who's lived here a long time because they pronounce the city name with only 2 syllables: 'spaz-pool' with just the tiniest hint of the 'ta' in the middle.

According to two different Russians that I have had conversations about
    Se Bass Toe pole with, the Russian way to pronounce it would be

Se va stow pull with the emphasis on Se and stow. The b sound in Russian is more like a v. The Se would be like in "set" and va would be like "ha." Try it, it sounds very nice.

Barrie

28. TopTop #28
    sundave22

Sebastopia

29. TopTop #29
    Bird Watcher

The pronunciation with "pool" at the end, I know, is used by long-time locals, but I always imagined it should be Sebas-Topol (with accent on To), like the actor or the Russian word, which I thought meant "town," but actually means "popular." You do all know the origin of this town's name, right? It's actually the 3rd moniker that this burg has had over time.

30. TopTop #30
    Larysa

Sevastopol, Ukraine

Greetings!

Since the Ukraine had been conquered by the Russian empire becoming one of the countries obliterated and forced into the U.S.S.R., the boundaries between nations have been confusing to outsiders.

Sevastopol is located on the Crimea peninsula, which has always been part of the Ukraine. Therefore, Sevastopol is a Ukrainian city not Russian.

Pronunciation: Se-VAS-ta-pohl where each 'a' is pronounced as in 'ahhhhhh'.
    So it would be: Se-BAS-ta-pohl for our little town.

From Wikipedia: Sevastopol is a port city in Ukraine, located on the Black Sea coast of the Crimea peninsula. It has a population of 342,451 (2001). The city, formerly the home of the Soviet Black Sea Fleet, is now a Ukrainian naval base mutually used by the Ukrainian Navy and Russian Navy.

The unique geographic location and navigation conditions of the city's harbours make Sevastopol a strategically important naval point. It is also a popular seaside resort and tourist destination, mainly for visitors from the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) countries.

The trade and shipbuilding importance of Sevastopol's Port has been growing since the fall of the Soviet Union, despite the difficulties that arise from the joint military control over its harbours and piers.

Sevastopol is also an important centre of marine biology research. In particular, studying and training of dolphins has been conducted in the city since the end of World War II. It was first conducted as a secret naval program to use the animals for special undersea operations.

Larysa's 2 cents: Although the city of Sevastopol differs from ours, the spirit of the Ukrainian people is one of freedom loving, hardiness, resilience and welcoming. In light of all of this, perhaps the appropriate changes to the historical records of Sebastopol would be made.

Dyakooyoo! Thank you!

Larysa