Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

New WaccoBB Digest format and other upgrades

We're introducing a new digest format today.
    I hope you like it!

Aside from being more attractive, it has a much more robust technological base ("responsive design") that will allow us to improve the formatting when viewed on mobile devices in the near future.

For now, some other improvements are that there are category headers in the body of the digest, and posts within the same thread are grouped together in the same rounded cornered container.

Please let me know what you think of the new design.

If you are having any problems, please be sure to include how you are seeing the digest:
    1) Device (ie: iphone, windows computer, etc)

2) Operating System (ie IOS 8, Windows 7, OSX 10.10 etc)

3) Program or Website (ie: Mac Mail, Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, Thunderbird, etc .)

4) Browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc., only if you are reading your email from a website, such as gmail, Yahoo or Sonic.net, etc.)

If you have any suggestions, including font sizing, layout, colors, or anything else, I'd love to hear it.
    Big thanks go to my excellent programmer, Shelby Munsch!

You are welcome to post public replies to this thread.

We've also added a handy Facebook Share button recently and fixed up the gratitude statistics. More about that later.

Thanks for reading this, giving us your feedback and using WaccoBB!

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2015 at 02:47 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: New WaccoBB Digest format and other upgrades

FROM BARRY:

I was just testing to see if you were paying attention.

All the content of the posts were missing yesterday. Sorry about that! It should be back today.

If you want to see yesterday's posts, please see the
    website.

Please keep your feedback coming, either publicly or privately by clicking here.
    (Don't reply privately to this post).

Thanks!

FROM SHANDI:
    Is the charcoal gray the new color? It seems so drab to me. Gray is a blah color, void of energy/vitality.

The font on "Connecting Conscious Community" could be more legible for new readers. I don't have a smart phone, so I don't know how it looks on one, but it seems fuzzy. I'd use a stronger font.

I love the Facebook button. I post a lot of Wacco stuff on FB, and if it's easy for everyone to do, it may boost your audience!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

I hope you like it!

Aside from being more attractive, it has a much more robust technological base ("responsive design") that will allow us to improve the formatting when viewed on mobile devices in the near future.

For now, some other improvements are that there are category headers in the body of the digest, and posts within the same thread are grouped together in the same rounded cornered container.

If you are having any problems, please be sure to include how you are seeing the digest:

4) Browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc., only if you are reading your email from a website, such as gmail, Yahoo or Sonic.net, etc.)

If you have any suggestions, including font sizing, layout, colors, or anything else, I'd love to hear it.

We've also added a handy Facebook Share button recently and fixed up the gratitude statistics. More about that later.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 07-11-2015 at 05:51 PM.

4. TopTop #3

On an pad2 latest iOS i get just the contents section followed by the Business Directory and nothing else. The posts are listed in the contents part buy do not appear below. The web version seems to be working, though.

Patrick Brinton

I hope you like it!

Barry

5. TopTop #4
    CSummer

Having the Top button below posts in the digest take you back to the top of the category instead of where you were in the index is Not helpful. It worked quite well as it was before - for me, at least.
    (I imagine this is the same for everyone, but just in case, I'm viewing the Digest in Chrome on its web page. Machine runs Windows 7.)

Thanks for your efforts to improve WaccoBB, Barry.

CSummer
    Last edited by Barry; 07-11-2015 at 04:06 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I've heard from many people that the table of content links are not working. We are looking into this. Unfortunately, iPhones no longer support links within emails to jump to another spot in the email, but I'm hoping we can make it work in other email readers. It works for me in Mac Mail, but it is currently not working in Gmail, even after you click the "View entire message" link. Again, we're looking into it.

I've also heard complaints about the readability of the table of content and the post headers. They seem fine to me. This is how they look to me:

Table of contents: (size reduced by 25%)

And post header:

Is that how it appears to you? Do you think it is readable??

Some people are also not receiving their digest, presumably because it is being trapped as spam. This is an ongoing issue that we continually try to push back against. It does seem like it may have gotten worse rather than better with the new design, though. Again we are looking into this.

Are you having any other issues? Does anybody like the new format ??

I am planning on offering a mobile friendly digest that does away with the Table of Contents and shortens some of the posts but provides links back to the full post on the website. This should help it's deliverability and ease of scrolling through on a phone.

Thanks for your patience. We'll get this tuned up just right!

Barry

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Karl Frederick

It's working fine for me, Barry. Thanks for asking. I'm using Outlook 2003 and Win7.

I've heard from many people that the table of content links are not working. . . . .

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    jesswolfe

I like the new design. Its ok to read. The only thing I miss is how many new posts on a thread. I don't always scroll down to see all the posts so knowing if there is a hot topic up front is helpful.

Jessica

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Cascade
    Supporting Member

I'm using Firefox. It mostly works fine, but "Top" used to take me back to where I was in the table of contents, and now it seems to take me to the top of the post I'm reading. The table of contents seems fine. I've noticed some situations where the link doesn't seem to work, but I assumed that the message had been deleted. So perhaps it's intermittent.

Thanks,
    Cascade
    Cascade Cook www.aphroweb.net Re polyamory. cascade(at)hisys.com 707-794-7334

14. TopTop #9
    dominus

Hi Barry,
    Your screen shot is not what I'm viewing. On my screen, there is only blocks of pale blue which are spread out with no clear demarcation and no rounded borders. I'm finding it difficult to read.

15. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dominus: View Post
    Hi Barry,
    Your screen shot is not what I'm viewing. On my screen, there is only blocks of pale blue which are spread out with no clear demarcation and no rounded borders. I'm finding it difficult to read.
    Dominus, and anybody else whose digest doesn't look more or less like below, please take a screen shot of the parts that look funky (here's how to take a screen shot) and send it to [email protected]. Please also forward your digest to the same address.

Again, this is what it should look like:

Table of contents: (size reduced by 25%)

And posts: (also 25% reduced)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    ...The only thing I miss is how many new posts on a thread. I don't always scroll down to see all the posts so knowing if there is a hot topic up front is helpful.
    You got a sharp eye, Jessica! Yes we did remove column that held the total number of posts in the thread and the number in this digest to make it cleaner and allow more space for the the thread title. Anybody else miss that column?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cascade: View Post
    I'm using Firefox. It mostly works fine, but "Top" used to take me back to where I was in the table of contents, and now it seems to take me to the top of the post I'm reading....
    Good catch, Cascade! We should be able to fix that.

Thanks for your feedback!

16. TopTop #11
    Shandi

I use Firefox, and didn't receive the digest tonight.

17. TopTop #12
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I don't think the new coloring of the post headers, etc. is as "readable" as the last ones, Barry; the muted blue color is harder for me to read, anyway......

AW
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2015 at 01:48 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #13
    poetrytalks

Great job, Barry. It looks good. Thank you for your efforts!

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #14
    CSummer

I also didn't get a Digest today (7/15).

22. TopTop #15
    EmeraldMatra

Table Of Contents links are not working on my old laptop. MacBook running OS 10.6.8. Tor browser.
    Emerald

23. TopTop #16
    heresbruce

Works fine on both my Mac laptop and PC at home... looking good!!!

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #17
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

New Digest Update:

Hopefully the Table of Contents links are now working and the Top button below posts (to return to the Table of Contents) should also work.

There were a few days that the digest was not sent out to all users. Sorry about that! That also should be fixed.

Please let me know if you are having any problems with the digest.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Barry; 07-17-2015 at 12:14 PM.