Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valet Posting Service
    WaccoBB Valet Posting Service

Sebastopol City News from Vice Mayor Robert Jacob

Greetings!

I hope you got to watch the Analy High School 3rd of July Fireworks Extravaganza Festival. It was an impressive show - the 40th annual event hosted by our local Kiwanis Club to raise funds for over thirty community organizations that help Sebastopol's youth.

I was able to enjoy the holiday spending time with family and friends. It was great to spend a couple of days relaxing and reflecting. Please excuse the delay in sending out my monthly update.

We got quite a bit accomplished this past month, and I'm happy to share the good news and some exciting upcoming events with you. Now on to the updates . . .

Sonoma Clean Power (SCP)

On July 2nd, the Sebastopol City Council heard final comments from the public and deliberated the decision to join the Sonoma Clean Power Authority.

SCP Authority representatives, including newly appointed CEO Geof Syphers, fielded final questions from the Council late into the night. Ultimately, I voted in support of our participation. It's vital that Sebastopol have a seat at the table -- both to be sure the hard questions are asked and that we take part in the answers. By choosing to join the SCP Authority, our residents will have a choice between energy providers.

Mayor Michael Kyes will be our representative and hold a seat on the SCP Authority Board of Directors. An energy expert, Mayor Kyes has nearly a decade of experience implementing energy efficient programs for residential and commercial users. He participated actively in the CPUC rule-making for the California Solar Initiative. Mayor Kyes is versed in the SCP Authority structure and has a clear understanding of the goals Sonoma Clean Power must achieve in order to successfully reduce our greenhouse gas emissions.

The many community members who reached out really helped me understand this complex issue and balance the many involved factors. There were strong arguments on all sides of this complicated decision. I'm looking forward to a changing dynamic in the local energy arena.

Click here for an article in Press Democrat

Library Landscape
    Get out your garden gloves! We're looking for a few helping hands to implement an educational and sustainable garden landscape around the Sebastopol Library and City Hall.

Erik Ohlsen, owner of Sebastopol's Permaculture Artisans, graciously donated his time and expertise in working with Master Gardeners of Sonoma County, City Staff and community members to create a beautiful plan for this central destination. Trathen Heckman of Daily Acts also came out to meet with the committee to discuss opportunities to collaborate on the library's makeover. Click on the map below for more information regarding this exciting project, and I'll be sure to keep you updated on the progress.

Click here to take a closer look at the plan

To get the project underway, we need your help! We're looking for contributions and volunteers to help install this permaculture garden and native plant display, which will be a beautiful representation of Sebastopol's focus on the environment. I'm really looking forward to its completion for the enjoyment and education of Sebastopol's youth -- and the rest of us!

Get involved!
    Contact Project Coordinator Robert Berg for more info
    email: [email protected].

Make a Donation!
    Don't have time? Funds are vital!
    Send donations to:
    Sebastopol City Hall
    7120 Bodega Avenue
    Sebastopol, CA 95472
    Please make checks to "City of Sebastopol"
    (include "Library Landscape Project" on the memo line)

2013-14 Budget Approved!
    The council and community spent many hours reviewing and approving the new budget for the 2013-14 fiscal year. Despite economic challenges, including the sudden loss of redevelopment funds that come from the state, we were able to replenish our reserve account, budget for our General Plan update, and fund over $2 million in capital improvement projects that ensure the safe and effective functionality of our City infrastructure for years to come. Through prudent spending and new revenues, including a half-cent tax and water/sewer rate changes approved by voters, we funded substantial investments toward infrastructure, services and community development.

Included in this year's budget are extensive improvements to the Sebastopol Cultural Community Center and Ives Pool, street maintenance, ADA accessibility, traffic, safety, transit and human-friendly infrastructure.

Special thanks to our City Staff for crunching the numbers and helping make this possible. Great results are preceded by smart plans! It's clear this year will be one of improvement, beautification and planning for the future of our town.

Click here to check out the overview of the budget
    or
    Read the whole budget online here

Community Grants funded 100%
    I am excited to report that Sebastopol will be funding 100% of our community grant programs. This program provides much needed resources for our town and funds programs that help improve basic human services, economic development, cultural heritage, recreational activities and artistic development.

The following funded organizations are instrumental in creating and sustaining the unique and beautiful character of our town:

Analy Student Club Operation
    Mr. Music Foundation
    Main Stage West
    Rebuilding Together Sebastopol
    Sebastopol Area Senior Center
    Sebastopol Center for the Arts
    Sebastopol Chamber of Commerce
    Sebastopol Community Center
    Teens Work Program
    Sebastopol Unified School District Rainbow House
    Sebastopol World Friends
    Western Sonoma County Historical Society

A big thanks to everyone involved with these and all of Sebastopol's community organizations and to all Sebastopol residents, workers, shoppers and extended community who sustain and utilize them.

The City Team is Growing
    Sebastopol is replacing three positions presently vacant and adding two new positions to the City Staff across several departments. Please welcome our newcomers as they come aboard and help us implement our capital improvements plans smoothly and efficiently!

In Public Works, we're bringing on two new workers to aid in park maintenance to help keep our town beautiful, and one Water Treatment Operator to help ensure we deliver the highest quality drinking water for our town.

The Police Department will replace one vacant Officer position.

The Engineering Department will replace one vacant Administrative Assistant position.

I'm grateful for all of the hard work of our City Staff and pleased that we are able to add new members to the ranks of our City Team.

Gun Safety
    This past month the Sebastopol Council passed a resolution of support of Senator Dianne Feinstein's proposed reinstatement of the federal assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004. The Senate voted against the bill this April, but efforts continue. The bill bans the sale, transfer, import and manufacturing of semiautomatic weapons and large-capacity magazines.

I am proud that our City stands with Senator Feinstein and countless other cities across the nation in requesting more sane and reasonable gun control policies.

Check out the full City resolution here

Sewer Rebate
    I have been including updates regarding the ongoing sewer debate in past issues of this newsletter. I am happy to announce that the City will be issuing a $50 rebate to all water/sewer customers. Look for the rebate in your mailbox soon...

Welcome, Sister City Visitors!
    Councilmember Slayter welcomed visitors from Sister City Chyhyryn, Ukraine at our last Council meeting. Our gracious visitors came to learn about Sebastopol and share some of their own unique culture with us.

These friends from our sister city took notice and shared with us their appreciation for Sebastopol's clear devotion to environmental protection. We sometimes take these notions for granted, and it's nice to be reminded that we continue to set a positive example. Let's keep spreading the love!

Sonoma Health Action
    Community member Nancy Dobbs (whom we know for her service on the Palm Drive Health Care District board and leading 91 FM KRCB) made an informative presentation at our last Council meeting on Sonoma Health Action.

Sonoma Health Action, supported by Sonoma County Department of Health Services, is "the framework for a community engagement effort to get people involved in creating a healthier Sonoma County." To improve health, Health Action not only focuses on healthcare, but on education and the economy, showing that both factors are instrumental in the health of individuals and communities.

Click here to learn more about Sonoma Health Action

Peacetown Summer Concert Series
    The Peacetown Summer Concert Series at Ives Park starts next Wednesday!

The concert series is put on by the Mr. Music Foundation, a non-profit that supports music in our local schools and promotes live music in our community. I hope to see you out there for some music and fun in the sun in support of this great cause!

Peacetown Summer Concert Series at Ives Park
    FREE concerts from 5-8pm
    7/17, 7/24, 7/31, 8/21, 8/28 and 9/4

Click here for more info
    Check out the article on Sonoma West Times

Again, I hope you all had a fun and safe 4th of July and that you are enjoying the start of summer.

June was quite a month. We succeeded in finalizing our budget, joining Sonoma Clean Power and funding all of or community grants. I am really proud of what our Council has accomplished and excited about the road ahead.

I want to thank you, especially, for being active and involved in our community. Your involvement and participation is a key part of making Sebastopol such a wonderful place to live!

Until next month,
    Robert Jacob, Vice Mayor of Sebastopol
    Last edited by Barry; 07-23-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: