Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: high pitch hum
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    urlove

high pitch hum

I live off Hessel Rd south of town in Sebastopol, and I hear a very loud, high pitch hum very late at night. It doesn't seem to be very close to my home. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, any ideas?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    photolite

Re: high pitch hum

Ever live in Taos?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by urlove: View Post
    I live off Hessel Rd south of town in Sebastopol, and I hear a very loud, high pitch hum very late at night. It doesn't seem to be very close to my home. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, any ideas?

3. TopTop #3
    elsewhere

• I live on Gilchrist nearby . I hear it too. It could be farm equipment, Water pumps or ? related to Peterson's 75 acres of vineyards off of 116 and Blount rd. Any other thoughts? Do we have any say on these vineyard owners who impose into our areas with their operations, like Hobson and others? T.

4. TopTop #4
    urlove

No, but I have heard of it there. Did they ever figure out what was causing it?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Ever live in Taos?

5. TopTop #5
    urlove

How long have you heard the hum? I've lived in my home for 3 years, and I think it started noticing it in the last 9 months (???). I wonder if it could be coming from the dump on Mecham????? Where is Peterson's? If I can get some locations, I could drive over there late at night and see where it is originating.
    Thanks, Mala

Quote Posted in reply to the post by elsewhere: View Post
    • I live on Gilchrist nearby . I hear it too. It could be farm equipment, Water pumps or ? related to Peterson's 75 acres of vineyards off of 116 and Blount rd. Any other thoughts? Do we have any say on these vineyard owners who impose into our areas with their operations, like Hobson and others? T.

6. TopTop #6
    BManna

I've been wondering about the hum I hear - usually early morning hours. Sounds something like a large lawnmower off in the distance. I live west of Sebastopol off Gold Ridge Road. There are vineyards and orchards around, and I'm not familiar with what they may be doing with machinery, though the hours are certainly odd. I happen to live just west of the new infamous Hobbs conversion, and I've wondered if folks there were trying to do something under the radar.

7. TopTop #7
    swishswash

I've heard this too, but in Sebastopol off of Washington, near the Park Side Elementary School. We were just walking down the street and ran into the hum, so piercing, like your brain is being invaded. Probably not the best explanation.

8. TopTop #8
    joya

This is not in your area so I doubt it's exactly what you heard, but last night there was lots of very loud machinery/motor noise until at least 1:00 AM. I live off of Graton Rd near Peaks Pike and of course there are a lot of vineyards around here. Anyone know what this noise is and is it related to the high temperatures?

Thanks,
    Joy

9. TopTop #9
    Dandelion

Yes, this noise is very disturbing. I am on Hessel. My neighbors and I started hearing it Thursday night around midnight, and it went until about 5am. How do I know this? Because it kept me awake All night Thursday and all night Friday night as well. It was too hot to close the windows, so the noise had to be endured.
    It was more like a high pitched ringing sound, and it does sound like it could be coming from the direction of the vineyards off of hwy 116, near Stony Point. There must be some way that we can get to the bottom of this noise invasion. Any ideas? I was so disturbed by Fri night, I thought about walking toward the sound until I found it.

10. TopTop #10
    urlove

I can call the city and see if there is someone who can help us figure it out. Maybe do something about it?
    I didn't hear it Saturday night but have heard it every night this week. If we can find where it originates from, then we can maybe do something about it.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #11
    msl

I've lived in Sebastopol for close to 26 years. I live on the northern edge of town.
    There have always been these kinds of noises at this time of year. Some are more piercing and annoying than others. They're always really late at night or early, very early, in the morning.
    I think it's related to agriculture. Before there were so many vineyards, there were apple trees, and there were still noises. I think it has to do with needing to spray before the sun/winds come up.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by joya: View Post
    This is not in your area so I doubt it's exactly what you heard, but last night there was lots of very loud machinery/motor noise until at least 1:00 AM. I live off of Graton Rd near Peaks Pike and of course there are a lot of vineyards around here. Anyone know what this noise is and is it related to the high temperatures?

Thanks,
    Joy

13. TopTop #12
    Runningbare

Just in case anyone was even thinking of complaining, the following reminder is printed on the backside of every envelope sent out with property tax bills by the SoCo Tax Collector:

“The County of Sonoma has declared it a policy to protect and encourage agricultural operations. If your property is located near an agricultural operation, you may at some times be subject to inconvenience or discomfort arising from agricultural operations. If conducted in a manner consistent with proper and accepted standards, said inconveniences and discomforts are hereby deemed not to constitute a nuisance for purposes of the Sonoma County Code."

One might ask:
    1. Why is no specific Code Citation stated?
    2. Who determines these proprietary standards, and who accepts them?
    3. Who deems these agricultural travesties not to qualify as nuisances, the Ag Commissioners Office, the Tax Collector, or the Supes?
    4. How much authority does this claim carry?

So much freedom, so little enjoyment. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of enough grapes that you get to piss off all your neighbors with immunity. Is Hobbs back from Asia yet?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dandelion: View Post
    Yes, this noise is very disturbing.

14. TopTop #13
    urlove

I don't hear the high pitch hum anymore. Does anyone else??

I emailed my former landlord who has a very small vineyard, and she said that irrigation often hums, and this is the time when ag farmers need to irrigate their land. She also said they had problems with their irrigation humming and changed a humming valve and it no longer hummed. So maybe if the vineyard managers are made aware of the sound they can fix the humming valves.

I also contacted the City Clerk of Sebastopol, and she said if we hear it again people in town can call the police (there are noise ordinances). And those of us outside town can call the Sheriff. She said something about contacting the county's permit department (forgot what she said-maybe finding out who has a permit for a large vineyard near you?).

I'm glad it has stopped.

Thanks, Mala

I can call the city and see if there is someone who can help us figure it out. Maybe do something about it?
    I didn't hear it Saturday night but have heard it every night this week. If we can find where it originates from, then we can maybe do something about it.

15. Gratitude expressed by: