Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Star Man

Citizens, Fight Back Against NSA Surveillance!

Take action today. Here's what you can do. An organization has sprung up called Operation Troll the NSA. It is promoting an action campaign. The action is that at 7 PM EST today web users will all send an email (or make a cell phone call) with an innocuous message that is loaded with words that are probably being tracked.

The organization has a web site "trollthensa" -- you'll have to be savvy enough to put a dot and a com after "trollthensa" because WaccoBB scrubs web sites from messages as far as I can tell. The web site has a suggested message. I'm sending the following message out to some selected email addresses:

Hey! How’s it going? I’m all right.

My job is so shitty I wish could overthrow my boss. It’s like this oppressive regime where only true believers in his management techniques will stay around. They're just like Al Qaeda. I work marathon-length hours and he’s made all these changes that have made it the worst architecture firm to work at in Manhattan. Like he moved the office to the Financial District and fired my assistant. She was the only one who knew where the blueprints were! I need access to those blueprints to complete my job! Fuck my life, right? And he keeps trying to start all these new initiatives to boost revenue, but seriously we just need to stick to what we do best. There’s only one true profit center. I seriously feel ready to go on strike at any second.

I just read this article about how these free radical particles can cause the downfall of good health and accelerate aging. These could actually cause death to millions of Americans. If these particles are flying around undetected everywhere, does that mean we’re all radicalized? Like they could be radicalizing Egypt, or Yemen, or Libya.

Have you seen the second season of Breaking Bad? I just finished it. I couldn’t believe that episode where they poison the guy with ricin! That was the bomb! I won’t say any more because I don’t want to reveal the earth-shattering events to come. This show could explode.

Oh! So I’ve been planning a big trip for the summer. I’m thinking of visiting all of the most famous suspension bridges in the United States. So probably like the Golden Gate Bridge, The Brooklyn Bridge, and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I’m gonna bring my younger brother and I know he’ll want to go to bars, so I’m thinking of getting him a fake drivers license, but I hope that doesn’t blow up in my face.

Okay, I gotta run! I’m late for flight school. I missed the last class where we learn how to land, so I really can’t miss another one. Talk to you later!

Apparently the revolution is taking place on the "streets" of the Internet.

Star Man
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Star Man

Re: Citizens, Fight Back Against NSA Surveillance!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    Take action today. Here's what you can do. An organization has sprung up called Operation Troll the NSA. It is promoting an action campaign. The action is that at 7 PM EST today web users will all send an email (or make a cell phone call) with an innocuous message that is loaded with words that are probably being tracked.

The organization has a web site "trollthensa" -- you'll have to be savvy enough to put a dot and a com after "trollthensa" because WaccoBB scrubs web sites from messages as far as I can tell. The web site has a suggested message. I'm sending the following message out to some selected email addresses:

Hey! How’s it going? I’m all right.

My job is so shitty I wish could overthrow my boss. It’s like this oppressive regime where only true believers in his management techniques will stay around. They're just like Al Qaeda. I work marathon-length hours and he’s made all these changes that have made it the worst architecture firm to work at in Manhattan. Like he moved the office to the Financial District and fired my assistant. She was the only one who knew where the blueprints were! I need access to those blueprints to complete my job! Fuck my life, right? And he keeps trying to start all these new initiatives to boost revenue, but seriously we just need to stick to what we do best. There’s only one true profit center. I seriously feel ready to go on strike at any second.

I just read this article about how these free radical particles can cause the downfall of good health and accelerate aging. These could actually cause death to millions of Americans. If these particles are flying around undetected everywhere, does that mean we’re all radicalized? Like they could be radicalizing Egypt, or Yemen, or Libya.

Have you seen the second season of Breaking Bad? I just finished it. I couldn’t believe that episode where they poison the guy with ricin! That was the bomb! I won’t say any more because I don’t want to reveal the earth-shattering events to come. This show could explode.

Oh! So I’ve been planning a big trip for the summer. I’m thinking of visiting all of the most famous suspension bridges in the United States. So probably like the Golden Gate Bridge, The Brooklyn Bridge, and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I’m gonna bring my younger brother and I know he’ll want to go to bars, so I’m thinking of getting him a fake drivers license, but I hope that doesn’t blow up in my face.

Okay, I gotta run! I’m late for flight school. I missed the last class where we learn how to land, so I really can’t miss another one. Talk to you later!

Star Man
    What thoughts did you have as you read about Troll The NSA? I wondered if the project might be a phishing expedition by the NSA to find out easily who doesn't like the NSA. It felt like going to an Occupy Santa Rosa rally and knowing I'd be videotaped. I went to the rally, and I sent out the Troll The NSA email. I've been protesting since the Free Speech Movement at U.C. Berkeley and the Vietnam Day Committee marches in 1966. Following the NSA data-mining story has taught me a lot. I've learned about Accumulo, the software that the NSA created and then released for commercial use. Wikipedia describes Accumulo as follows:

"Apache Accumulo is a sorted, distributed key/value store based on Google's BigTable design.[1] It is a system built on top of Apache Hadoop, Apache ZooKeeper, and Apache Thrift. Written in Java, Accumulo has cell-level access labels and server-side programming mechanisms."

I have no idea what that means. NSA uses the program to notice trends. I imagine NSA uses the program to track how many anti-corporatocracy posts I make on WaccoBB, Huffington Post, Alternet, and others. I imagine NSA compares these with what I write at my blog On Condition of Anonymity. Amazon apparently uses Accumulo to suggest books I might want to buy based on what I have bought. I imagine the holder of my student loan debt uses Accumulo to estimate the chances I will default. I imagine the NSA and the corporatocracy will use Accumulo to determine whether I should be rounded up and put in an internment camp based on my oppositional attitudes to the corporatization of all facets of 21st century life. NSA is probably not aware of how much I'd like to band together with other like-minded people to form a cohousing type community growing our own food, educating our children, amusing ourselves with entertainments we create, and providing for our own health care. The corporatocracy extends its control into all domains, and sometimes I feel like a trapped animal. Troll The NSA felt like a way to protest, however feebly, however ineffectively.

Star Man

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Mary Withrow

Although it might be tempting for one to support a "spoof campaign" related to surveillance concerns, it would be unwise to involve others without suggesting a degree of security. Unfortunately, our country has prosecuted innocent people in the past, and I'm afraid this is something that will continue. Hide behind a private network and make sure encryption is turned on if you actually do something like this!

6. TopTop #4
    Star Man

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mary Withrow: View Post
    Although it might be tempting for one to support a "spoof campaign" related to surveillance concerns, it would be unwise to involve others without suggesting a degree of security. Unfortunately, our country has prosecuted innocent people in the past, and I'm afraid this is something that will continue. Hide behind a private network and make sure encryption is turned on if you actually do something like this!
    It's like Tahrir Square, Mary, if enough people engage in the "spoof campaign" than we will prevail. If we hide because we are afraid of being prosecuted even though innocent, then the corporatocracy has won. Bradley Manning was not afraid. Edward Snowden was not afraid. We must not be afraid. Fear is the tactic the corporatocracy uses to maintain control.

Star Man

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    arthunter

I saw this on FaceBook ... yes, people are fighting back ... the saying "all hands on deck" comes to mind, as it will take a lot of people to restore our Constitutional rights ... one or two will just get crucified ...

Here's another example of a concentrated effort by many people, all synchronized ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHAiB7tOeGo

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    Take action today. Here's what you can do. An organization has sprung up called Operation Troll the NSA. It is promoting an action campaign. The action is that at 7 PM EST today web users will all send an email (or make a cell phone call) with an innocuous message that is loaded with words that are probably being tracked........

.........* * * * * *

Star Man
    Last edited by Alex; 07-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.